PDA

View Full Version : Is there going to be another board? I hope not!

lougandidas
09-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Seems like with many applications, there are 3,4,5 etc different boards. It makes it really hard to keep track of everything etc. This seems like a good place to stay. I'm hoping that Luxology decides to use this as their main and only board instead of starting another forum and so forth. What route are you guys going to take?

Aegis Prime
09-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Actually it makes perfect sense for Lux to have their own forums - whilst it's great that modo has a busy community here at CGTalk already, having their own forum allows Luxology to have individual sections for PC/Mac support, feature requests, troubleshooting etc. Whilst I spend a lot of time here browsing CGTalk, for all my LightWave-related support I usually go to the NewTek forums first...

One thing it's nice to see is so many LightWavers embracing modo (as I suspected they would) - The LightWave community is one of NewTek's best assets and It'll be good to see a lot of familiar names on Lux's forums :)

Beamtracer
09-26-2004, 11:56 PM
Whilst I spend a lot of time here browsing CGTalk, for all my LightWave-related support I usually go to the NewTek forums first... It's OK to go to Newtek's forum for Lightwave support, but what if you want to get support about using Modo with Lightwave? They'll delete your thread. You need a forum that is totally independent from manufacturers.

MrPG
09-27-2004, 12:05 AM
It's OK to go to Newtek's forum for Lightwave support, but what if you want to get support about using Modo with Lightwave? They'll delete your thread. You need a forum that is totally independent from manufacturers. i would think we would be able to post those type queries on cgtalk's lw forum. Thats why you need different boards. Lw or Modo can have their company hosted forums with subsections and direct support for specifics and then whatever isn't suited by policy or what have you can get posted here.

Then again queries can get omni-posted, I goto alotta tech sites and i often copy/paste posts between forums.

MrPG
09-27-2004, 12:05 AM
accidental double post :D how ironic

Sbowling
09-27-2004, 03:55 AM
I actually hope there is another board, because this board really lags. I actually haven't even been able to get this site to load for the past couple hours. Every other site I tried to get through goes fine. Makes me think this site must be related to CGChannel.com because I get the same kind of lag on that site.

Dion Burgoyne
09-27-2004, 05:53 AM
Yes, actually we do have a personal forum section that is in developement, however we're still going to be here as well... However we actually encourage talk about other 3D applications and we won't delete the posts or ban you :)

modo is designed to work into pipelines not be a roadblock to them, and the biggest reason to have our own forum is so that we can seperate out the topics easier, support, suggestions, discussions etc...

onlooker
09-27-2004, 06:27 AM
I was hoping there would be another board as well.

Although ZBrush has a few years of tutorials, and zScripts under it's belt, and is an older application I like the way they reorganized ZBrushCentral so you have easy 1 click categorized access to every question, and answer ever asked about using the application, and it's features. It really cleans up the forums if you just use it for learning purposes. All the written tutorials, and Zscripts there are so easy to find it's sick.
I hope you guys come up with something just as simple to use once you have all the material you need, and are ready.

kursad_pileksuz
09-27-2004, 06:38 AM
i think zbrush has excellent forum as far as i am concerned about the tutorials, learning materials etc. i think one fo the biggest problem of softwares that, scripts, plugins, some additonal functional things for users can get lost in cyber space. especially modo is good at easy macros and scripting, i am sure we will see hell alot of stuff just popping up everyday, but this stuff needs to be managed well from start , so new users can just jump in and find what they need. and a forum in this structure can be really nice

Beamtracer
09-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Yes, actually we do have a personal forum section that is in developement, however we're still going to be here as well... However we actually encourage talk about other 3D applications and we won't delete the posts or ban you :)

Dion Burgoyne

QA Manager, Luxology LLC

That's one thing I like about Luxology. They're not paranoid about the mention of other applications. They don't "badmouth" other applications. They're not scared of people talking about other applications.

That shows confidence!

ambient-whisper
09-27-2004, 08:28 AM
i think zbrush has excellent forum as far as i am concerned about the tutorials, learning materials etc. i think one fo the biggest problem of softwares that, scripts, plugins, some additonal functional things for users can get lost in cyber space. especially modo is good at easy macros and scripting, i am sure we will see hell alot of stuff just popping up everyday, but this stuff needs to be managed well from start , so new users can just jump in and find what they need. and a forum in this structure can be really nice
yep. completely agreed.

( except im not too much of a fan relying on scripts and whatnot, because of how easily they get broken with software upgrades )

Cyberdigitus
09-27-2004, 09:44 AM
With a brand new application like this, it's natural there aren't many forums yet. Cgtalk got a primer here. An official Lux forum will be great, certainly with other modules coming out. And you can't stop fansite forums to emerge. So it will be a question of selecting what to follow. We all know CgTalk has amazing talented and knowledgable people on it's boards, so that will always be a reason to come back here.

I'd rather see Modo's feature requests and such kind of threads over at a Luxology forum to see some in depth discussion of technology and use. although getting the feedback of those aforementioned users is very important. Let us see some art here mainly...

On a sidenote, it seems forums are used more and more as some CMS system, keeping track of news and even including whole tutorials in threads. Which is nice. I think.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.