PDA

View Full Version : Modelers of the future?

Kula
08-12-2002, 10:15 AM
Howdy all, I'm kinda new to CG stuff but went to school for Autocad and realy enjoyed the 3D modeling side of industrial/Architectural design, so I joined this forum to learn more about using the Apps. represented here. I saw this "Interactive Surface Design" video of Pro-Engineer, and thought that this would be a very cool tool to have in modelers in general (Maya, Lightwave, 3D Max etc..) If you have fast connection you might check it out here- (Real Player Req.)

http://www.ptc.com/products/proe/index.htm

Click the "PTC USER TUTORIAL" At very bottom left of page.

My question is does anyone think that this kind of technology would be usefully implemented into character modeling? Being able to manipulate a character's "profile" like that in real time seems like it could be amazing, especially if it could work on lowpoly mesh's. Seeing that technology "trickles down" I just thought some might find this interesting, and also would like to know what your thoughts are about the future of modelers in general. If you could realize and implement some futuristic modeling techniques into your modeler of choice, What would it behave like and do? One of my thoughts is being able to draw and sculpt in 3D with your hands in some sort of "BOX" (Maybe Holographic or something) and see your work respond intuitively. What are your "Imaginings" on this? Thanks in advance for your input, Imagination is a powerful tool-Use it! :thumbsup:

Grey
08-12-2002, 03:10 PM
consider that when you're doing Figure modelling with Sudbivision Surfaces, your base cage needs to have polygons in certain places weighted to work with the bones.

I don't think any 3D Sculpting tool as you're describing it is going to allow for that, at least not in the near future.

psil
08-12-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Grey
consider that when you're doing Figure modelling with Sudbivision Surfaces, your base cage needs to have polygons in certain places weighted to work with the bones.

I don't think any 3D Sculpting tool as you're describing it is going to allow for that, at least not in the near future.

I dunno...for the TIME MACHINE movie, according to 3D World (issue 26) a 3D scan of Guy Pearce was "..transformed into a manageable subdivision surface model using Cyberware's Cyslice" and animated by hand. I've read similar about other movies inc Spiderman. So maybe the technology is here already..

I think also there are some clever people currently working on the 3D sculpting glove that Kula describes. It might be a while away, but it'll happen.

Grey
08-14-2002, 12:45 AM
I've heard conflicting reports concerning how Spiderman was modelled and animated.

beaker
08-14-2002, 05:07 AM
>>One of my thoughts is being able to draw and sculpt in 3D with your hands in some sort of "BOX" (Maybe Holographic or something) and see your work respond intuitively.

You can allready do this. A company called sensable has this technology where you move a "wand" and sculpt virtual clay out of voxels in the 3d app. It works very similar to sculpting clay in real life. I have seen many traditional sculptors use and it pick up using it very quickly. Only trouble is it is quite expensive(15k). Also that data it gives you is like a point cloud so you need another app like paraform, Geomagic, or cyslice to make it into a usable 3d model(another 15-20k). The hardware/software came out a few years ago, not sure if it is still 15k.

http://www.sensable.com/freeform/freeform.html

Kula
08-14-2002, 04:57 PM
Thanks Beaker!
That is a real terrific system, or so it seems. Maybe a bit akward to get used to holding the device at first, but the big payoff is that you get the sensory touch feedback from the device. Sure wish I could afford it- imagine using two-one for each hand! I'm pretty sure Rhino translates point cloud data so maybe I'll only have to spend 16K instead of 30 LOL. Thanks for that info, something to keep me wishing and thinking.

Kula

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.