PDA

View Full Version : ADDON MUST HAVE's

optical op
09-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Are there any addons that you guys would shrivel up and dissapear without in XSI? Fairly new to the app, so have been looking at the basic features only up until now. If so, what are they, what do they do, and where can they be found?

Ta

erebos
09-27-2004, 05:45 AM
i don't really think there are any must have plugins for xsi like u could argue there are for max and other 3d apps. Also, because softimage releases upgrades of its software rather frequently, all the best ideas for plugins and addons are assimilated into the latest version.

If there was anything however, RealFlow would definitely be the premiere particle simulator if u needed those fx in xsi and perhaps a texturing/3dpaint program like deepaint or zbrush, but those aren't really addons so much as separate programs which u may want for ur pipeline.

Cheers,
Erebos

wurp
09-27-2004, 12:44 PM
I always get the shaders by daniel rind (dirtmap, diffusion, diffraction) etc

specially the dirtmap shader makes my life easier. Also prior to v4 I always had RCTools installed for edgeloop tools.

T4D
09-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Mindthink tools !!
http://www.mindthink.de/ohm/mt1.0
coming from Lightwave i found some of the tools to my liking :thumbsup:

have to agree with erebos XSI does not have too many holes in it
and seems the developers gladly take on new ideas and develop them fully in the package unlike other 3D apps

i sell plugins for Lightwave and there's still alot of room for third party plugins
as with Max and maya, plugins are needed and a a big part of learning the program

But over here in XSI land the package is full and there's more ways of doing everything that third party plugin just aren't needed.

dg
09-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Muh's ones, all of them! :)

- http://animus.brinkster.net/index.html

And even tho XSI4 has almost all the RCTools features, I still use it.
MD Subscatter and TransVol are also nice things to have.

Plus some basic scripts that I've done for my self to automate some GUI related stuff.

Good luck with XSI,

optical op
09-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Cheers guys, will look into some of those things you have mentioned, although as suggested, xsi does seem a remarkably complete peice of kit.

cheers

Atyss
09-27-2004, 09:11 PM
I have to agree that Dirtmap is one of the greatest free shaders you can find for XSI, so many possible usages.

Cheers
Bernard

optical op
09-27-2004, 09:41 PM
downloaded Dirtmap, are there any good tuts on how to actually use it - only just getting my head round the render tree at present, but some of the stuff I have seen where dirtmap has been used looks cool

Ta

evan
09-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Mindthink tools !!

http://www.mindthink.de/ohm/mt1.0
coming from Lightwave i found some of the tools to my liking :thumbsup:

have to agree with erebos XSI does not have too many holes in it
and seems the developers gladly take on new ideas and develop them fully in the package unlike other 3D apps

i sell plugins for Lightwave and there's still alot of room for third party plugins
as with Max and maya, plugins are needed and a a big part of learning the program

But over here in XSI land the package is full and there's more ways of doing everything that third party plugin just aren't needed.
I agree with Peter, the Mindthinks tools addon is pretty good. The select connected I find very usefull and the one thing I missed coming for LW untill I found these tools.

Atyss
09-28-2004, 08:12 PM
downloaded Dirtmap, are there any good tuts on how to actually use it - only just getting my head round the render tree at present, but some of the stuff I have seen where dirtmap has been used looks cool

Ta
There are various threads in the How I Did it section of XSI Base. You might want to make a search. Also make a search in the Rendering discussion. You'll a lot of infos.

Cheers
Bernard

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.