PDA

View Full Version : Modo for Car Modelling?

kennez
09-26-2004, 08:53 AM
First, I have not bought Modo yet, but I am wanting to buy it while the Intro offer andLightwave discount are on.

I have just started modelling a BMW M3, followin the tutorial on LWG3D, and I am really getting into it, and getting the workflow down to a 'T'.

How is Modo for modelling things like cars and aircraft? How does the Modo workflow compare to the Lightwave Modeller workflow for modelling these types of objects?

I really like the look of Modo, but I am still on the fence, since I have just started to get used to Modeller.

Pazur
09-26-2004, 02:07 PM
I modeled some car elements that You can see in Modo WIP thread, there is also an example of an aircraft by Robin (if I remember correctly) and a robot by Eric.
Edge weights are powerful tool with these kind of tasks alone. Since cars won't probably be deformed by bones, etc. You can freeze geometry and export detailed model with edge weights shape preserved.
Edge weights allow You to have much less edge loops, basically any sharp edges on car's body doesn't require additional loops to make them sharp, You can simply weight them.
This makes manipulating model much easier and flexible when it comes to any changes You might want to make.
To be honest, technical modeling was always scarying me but with modo I dared to do some technical stuff and it's quite a pleasure :)

joo
09-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Thanks Pazur for ur info.

I'm just curious if i wanna render in LW, is it must triple before export to LW?
Since LW doesn't support SDS that modo offers..

Juzz
09-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Yep, or then you can create geometry that has no n-gons

joo
09-28-2004, 03:35 AM
Thanks for clarify my question.:)
I think I'll keep model the way in the past before go any further.

shade
09-28-2004, 09:39 AM
No, you dont have to triple it.. But you have to freeze it, altho it almost the same thing, except that I hate triangles..

Sbowling
09-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks for clarify my question.:)
I think I'll keep model the way in the past before go any further.
Don't do that! you'll be missing out on one of the great features of Modo. Work with the SDS using Ngons, and only when you are finished getting the shape you want, go back and divide the polygons that have more than 4 sides. Ngons in SDS and edges have made a huge difference in how fast I can get things done. Even cleaning up a messy model is very easy.

joo
09-29-2004, 03:03 AM
:)
Thanks for the reply..

pabloD
09-29-2004, 06:11 AM
take a look in the WIP section. There are at least 2 cars and several other rigid surface models done in modo, including a guy in an environment suit that Gary Coulter made in 5 hours!

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=170939

kennez
09-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys!. I took the plunge and ordered yesterday.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.