PDA

View Full Version : photopaint job for print...

Spritemare
09-26-2004, 05:28 AM
I'm about to do a job using a wacom + photoshop, which will be an album cover..but before I start, I'm assuming that it should be in CMYK mode, since it will be for print...right?

Second question...I did notice that almost more than half of my filters in Photoshop, including Flaming Pear, are cancelled out in CMYK jobs, and cannot even be selected from the list....why is that??

Symbiont2
09-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Definately work in CMYK... As for the filters you mentioned, i assume these are plugins? They probably don't work because the people who programmed them didn't design them to work in CMYK. If you have to you can work in RGB and use your filters then change color modes...

halo
09-26-2004, 10:17 AM
why not work in RGB (faster) in CYMK preview mode?...you'll get all the benefits of RGB whilst still being able to see the CYMK final image.

TheNeverman
09-26-2004, 10:52 PM
x2 what Halo said...

n8

Spritemare
09-27-2004, 01:08 AM
thanks for your replies! I was afraid of doing it in RGB then converting to CMYK, only to see all of the colors look muddy. I'll try that.

dg
09-27-2004, 07:45 AM
Work in RGB with CMYK preview, you work faster and all options work in RGB, something that isn't true for CMYK mode.

I rather convert it to CMYK and fine tune it right on the end, or leave to the print bureau to do the conversion.

Check with the place you're going to print how they prefeer to recieve the files and if they have any profile that you can use to get as close as possible to their output.

Well, it's been a while that I don't do any print work so probably I'm not the right person to answer you this.

Cheers,

Finster
09-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Agreed, work in RGB with CMYK preview.

As for what to provide the printer, it's Flexibility (RGB) vs Control (CMYK). You can provide them an RGB image, which will give them the most flexibility to really take advantage of their press conditions, but also gives them the flexibility to screw it up. If you create the CMYK file, you are controlling the mode switch, but then the printer is stuck with what you provide them.

Like Diogo said, contact the printer and ask for their preference. Typcially, they will say CMYK.

duderender
09-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Because CMYK has a smaller gamut, you're better to do your work in RGB and use the gamut warning where colors won't step down to CMYK.

This way, you have more versatility in the end use of the picture and the ability to use your plugins.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.