PDA

View Full Version : having trouble with flame animation

what_happened
09-26-2004, 01:16 AM
I have a question.

I have a light in my scene and I applied Volumetrics to it, then I used the setting/preset called "Flame" under the "distantLights" preset.

Everything looks good in my animation, except for the flames.. I tried to rotate the flames (the actual light) and a few other things as well. Still nothing. What do I need to mess with to get these to look real/animated.

I even tried to rotate the texture that the setting is using. Nothing seems to work

I am using them as exhaust/thrust on a spaceship.

Also.. preset central had a nice blue flame, but they are still down. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on exhaust flames for a ship in space... or something similar.. I'll take any ideas.

thanks

Ed Bittner
09-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Like this? Serenity built by Treybor

E.

what_happened
09-26-2004, 10:55 AM
yup, like that

Ed Bittner
09-26-2004, 01:17 PM
what_
Man, was this ever done the OLD way. A succession fo cones and tubes with a trans map and fractal noise stretched and enveloped along the z-axis, and a point light at the engine. More control less render hit. You sync the gradient opacity with the point light intensity, and there you go.
E.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.