PDA

View Full Version : How Does Painter IX Handle Embedded Profiles?

Zwaeback
09-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Hello,

I've conducted a few tests with Photoshop to Painter to Photoshop file transfer. It seems like Painter handles .tif files differently than .psd ones. It also doesn't seem to play nice with cmyk. On all tests I've embedded the color profile and asked Painter to open using the embedded profile.

1. The sRGB .TIF file keeps the embedded sRGB profile when sent between Photoshop, Painter & Photoshop. That works out just fine.

2. The CMYK .TIF opens up much darker in Painter. I save the file, then open it in Photoshop where it looks accurate. It seems like the profile stays embedded, but the image changes drastically in Painter. Can Painter not accurately display CMYK .TIF files?

3. The sRGB .PSD file looks accurate when opened in Painter. When I save the file, then open it back in Photoshop I find that it has embedded the Kodak RGB profile, instead of the sRGB I embedded it with. The image still looks the same, but the profile changes.

4. The CMYK .PSD looks fine when opened in Painter. I then save the file and open it back it Photoshop where the Kodak CMYK profile has been embedded, instead of the U.S. CMYK SWOP I embedded it with. This file looks odd, with inaccurate colors, when opened back up in Photoshop.

It looks like the sRGB (and possibly some other RGBs) is the only one practical to use.

Aside from this color profile issue I'm having it looks like Painter IX does what it's supposed to do. Oh, there is still that issue with the zoom jumping around erratically on larger files (6000 x 4800), but that has been my problem with Painter for the last four years. I can live with that.

Thanks for your help.

Zwaeback
09-26-2004, 09:08 AM
I'll quickly add to my previous post. It's probably best if I use the following workflow for now.

1. In Photoshop save file as .PSD, with sRGB color profile.
2. In Painter open file, then save as .RIFF, with Kodak RGB color profile.

I don't know what the Kodak RGB color space looks like, but it certainly doesn't change my colors at all. I'm guessing that it's fine to go with it.

Jinbrown
09-26-2004, 07:53 PM
2. The CMYK .TIF opens up much darker in Painter. I save the file, then open it in Photoshop where it looks accurate. It seems like the profile stays embedded, but the image changes drastically in Painter. Can Painter not accurately display CMYK .TIF files?

Painter only works in RGB, though Painter files can be saved in CMYK for two file formats, .TIF and .PSD.

For information that may help, read the following:

Help > Tutorials. Scroll to the bottom of the screen, under Other Tutorials, to find Matching Color Management Settings in Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter.

If you haven't already, also use:

Help > Help Topics > Index > Color > management. Click the Display button, highlight Understanding Color Management, click the Display button and read the right panel information.

Zwaeback
09-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Thank you for replying Jin,

I'll read through the Photoshop/Painter Color Managemant tutorial again.

Zwaeback
10-05-2004, 05:43 AM
Just to follow up...

The tutorial is pretty basic. It's step-by-step, although there may have been a couple subtle steps missing. In Photoshop I'll continue to use the CMYK color space. Meanwhile, Painter is setup for Adobe RGB. Since I'm only doing minor color corrections in Painter, if any, my main concern is whether the color space I use in Painter encompasses the CMYK space as well as possible. Adobe RGB does a very good job, based on the online color space charts I've found...somewhere.

I would use the Adobe RGB space only if I found the need for the extra colors...pretty, pretty colors...:0)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.