PDA

View Full Version : How long can a VGA cble be?

guardonduty
09-25-2004, 10:09 PM
How long can a VGA cble be? I want to connect a second monitor to my PC about 50 yds away

Bytehawk
09-25-2004, 10:14 PM
I have connected monitors accross rooms more than 20 meters appart. You do get a ghosting effect the longer your cable gets. I find that you can get away with 8 m without a significant loss of signal.

There are professional vga signal boosters you cn use, but that won't be a cost effective solution for you.

jabbermike
09-26-2004, 06:35 AM
we are using a 30m cable to connect a computer to a projector. Itīs working quite right untill now.

mike

Justin W
09-26-2004, 10:37 AM
Hi there,

I work in the Audio Visual industry (have to deal with lots of different projectors and laptop / PC combinations). I have successfully run up to about 40m of VGA without too much problem; however; to be able to do this depends on the graphics card in use, and what resolution you are running. VGA cable has a pretty restrictive bandwidth when using above about SVGA res. A general rule is not to run VGA more than about 10m if possible. Best I can advise is that you give it a go and see if it works and is acceptable. Failing that, you may have to get hold of a VGA amplifier (or D/A as they are sometimes known). This allows the signal to be boosted so that it can make the run of cable, but will not help with the bandwidth issue.

Hope this helps,

Justin :-)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.