PDA

View Full Version : TV Series: Starhyke (3ds max artists, texture artists, animators req'd)

PeteDraper
09-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Hey all

We're shortly starting filming a new sci-fi comedy series, and I'm looking to build a list of people we can call on when "crunch time" arrives, which will be between November '04 and Feb/March '05.

We already have a vfx budget which has now been exhausted due to software, stock footage (explosions etc), hardware to setup a render farm, and plugin purchases, so we are looking for people who wouldn't mind working on this for the experience and the use of the resulting footage in demo reels. Additionally, should... sorry, WHEN :) we get comissioned for a second series (which will be 22 episodes) you will have first refusal at paid work and/or a full-time position at the Bristol studio.

I'm looking for experienced "general" 3ds max artists (ie jack of all trades) who can hit the ground running without any ramp-up; ie we provide the scene / animatic / assets (models, textures etc) / storyboard etc and you produce the jaw dropping resulting shot which we can render out using our farm.

Specifically looking for:

modellers (low and high and/or low to high)
mapping and texture artists (preferably using Photoshop or compatible)
particle / vfx artists (with experience of particle flow and afterburn (desirable but not necessary)
animators (majority being basic animation of objects and camera, but knowledge of weighting and timing is very desirable, as is camera animation effects (eg hand-held motion effects) and composition of a shot)

Knowledge of compositing and working with different pixel aspects is desirable as is working to a set style. Please note that we are looking for people who can produce scenes that render relatively fast with the standard scanline renderer due to time and cost (this obviously does not apply to modellers etc)...

if you use any other package, then I'm sorry but we cannot afford time to expand the pipeline and start implementing methods to import models as the deadline is very tight... unless you're sooooooo good we'd be stupid to say no!!

Starhyke is a 6 episode raunchy sc-fi comedy series produced and filmed in Bristol UK, and features cast members from Babylon 5 (Claudia Christian), Star Wars (Jeremy Bulloch), Die Another Day (Rachel Grant), Stargate SG1 (Suanne Braune) and London's Burning (Brad Gorton) amongst others.

Further information about the show can be found on the main site www.starhyke.com (http://www.starhyke.com/) (under construction... new site up in October) and on the Yahoo group (link on the starhyke.com site).

Unfortunately, for those interested, I cannot release images of the physical set or designs until authorised to do so by the director, nor can I release additional images of the ships (only one basic one has been released so far to the group). Should you be given the go-ahead, we will need you to sign and return a Non-Disclosure Agreement to secure information leak, which will then allow you into the fold and gain access to the studio stuff.

Location: Honestly, I'm not concerned, provided you have a fast internet connection.

However, if you are based around Bristol in the UK, then you are more than welcome to come and work in the studio, where you can take part in production first-hand and work with us using our machines and software to get this series out the door!

So... to cut a long story short, what I need now is to see some work... usual deal - demo reels, stills etc... either posted here or emailed to me (links to reels... image attachments will be fine)

Cheers!

Pete

VFX Director, Lightworx
pete@lightworx.co.uk
pete.draper@xenomorphic.co.uk

Awesome_Dave
10-02-2004, 09:53 AM
hi there, i know you said that if someone uses another package then you wouldnt be able to accomodate such a factor into your pipeline - but - if I was able to produce a model within another package and export it to 3ds max myself, would this still be a problem?

I primarily work in Maya, but have some working knowledge of 3ds max. If you're interested, please take a gander at my online gallery at www.certaindoompossibly.com/gallery.htm (http://www.certaindoompossibly.com/gallery.htm)

I'd be interested in modelling - low or high poly.

you can email me at the address on my site, or send me a PM.

PeteDraper
10-05-2004, 01:06 AM
cheers :) Got you on the list... but please bear in mind that max users will have priority as we're really REALLY REEEAAAAALLLLY on a tight schedule, with about 400 vfx shots to complete by march. A fair few companies frown on flying spaceships in demo reels, but I'd really like to see them if you or anyone else reading this is interested!!

Cheers!

pete

Awesome_Dave
10-06-2004, 12:35 PM
no problem, though I do work fast, so deadlines aren't an issue. as for companies disliking spaceships on showreels... im sure a company will appreciate a well modelled spaceship better than a poorly modelled, poorly animated character.. everyone seems to be doing them these days. the new shiny spaceship cliche methinks..

bit of an offtopic question for you - i saw on your site that you did an illustration for New Scientist - how did you manage to get into the illustrative-science side of CG? I've had some experience with procedural texturing before and I'd like to have a peek in the science side of the industry. any places to check/ email addresses would be appreciated :)

PeteDraper
10-06-2004, 07:55 PM
The illustration work came about by producing images for 3dworld to accompany an article or two I wrote, and it's kinda progressed from there. The New Scientist stuff came about after I mailed them an age ago, and after a while it came to my turn :) Your best bet is to showcase a nice variety of work on your site so that should someone require a specific style, they can keep coming back to you as you show versatility.

email addresses... your best bet is to research and contact the relevant person (eg the art editor - their address is normally listed on their magazine's website, so do a bit of leg work ;)) at a variety of magazines / publishers. Even though they may not have something immediate, if they like your work they will put you on the book for when your style of work is desired and/or pass you on to colleagues who work for other magazines.

cheers!

pete

PeteDraper
10-18-2004, 11:51 PM
just as a quick update, the latest dreamwatch magazine has a full page article on the series with a few pre-textured models

p

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.