PDA

View Full Version : Speed of Modo?

f97ao
09-25-2004, 05:43 PM
Ok, I have seen Modo in action now. I was very surprised with the speed. Just create a box with 100x100x1 segments and it's very, very slow to create it and depressing to work with it. 3dsmax has no problems creating such geometry and in silo you can even work with 1mil poly objects and have reasonable speed.

Have I missed something or is it this slow for you too? I thought modo would be faster than the other applications since it's developed with a new core.

Hopefully I've missed something, right?
Otherwise some tools looked great, while others I didn't find. Hopefully I will get another chance to try it.

edit: hardware. Windows XP SP1, GF 4200 latest drivers, Athlon 1.3GHz.
/Andreas

Nando
09-25-2004, 06:00 PM
I think its the latest nvidia driver, I have old quadro card running 30.82 drivers, and dont have any slow downs with the 100x100x 1 segment box. it did slow down when i beveled all the polys at once though, but any other app would t00. ;)

some folks are getting by with the 44.03 drivers.
I also suggest that you turn of all the gimiicks in winxp go to my computer right click/properties, advanced, performance and click on box adjust for best perfomance.
right click on desktop use classic interface.
turn off mouse shadow if it is not off in control panel.
adjust nvidia display options.
turn off antialiasing
disable or turn off anisotropic fitering
Vertical sync off

and last one only beucause it helps another 3d app run better on my machine
I have buffer flipping mode set to block transfer, this one might not be needed for MODO, but i figure you should know what exactly are my settings since thats what is working here.

kursad_pileksuz
09-25-2004, 06:03 PM
are you having problems with subded 100*100 cube or plain poly cube?
i am not getting the speed problem you have mentioned here. but it had little propblem creating it, but after that it was fine to work with, i even tried with 100*100*20. but seems like certain operations worked slower than others, in general trnasformation tools worked fastest. but it requires to be reported as bug in current standarts as well

have ati 9800 pro, 2.2 amd, 512 mb

chrisdz
09-26-2004, 05:38 PM
I did a 100x100x100 cube and it took a moment to "create" but once it was done, the object panned and zoomed and behaved just as quickly as everything else I have worked with. It even managed to take the object to subpatch mode, though there was admittedly a noticeable slowdown after that :)

I'm just amazed I was able to deal with a million polygons without my system horking up a hairball. There was a bizarre display artifact, though. A weird 3-sided polygon just sort of "appeared" in space behind the cube and stayed there at an angle away from one of the faces. It wasn't selectable, and the polygon count didn't reflect "one million and one" polys, but it did display consistently.

are you having problems with subded 100*100 cube or plain poly cube?
i am not getting the speed problem you have mentioned here. but it had little propblem creating it, but after that it was fine to work with, i even tried with 100*100*20. but seems like certain operations worked slower than others, in general trnasformation tools worked fastest. but it requires to be reported as bug in current standarts as well

have ati 9800 pro, 2.2 amd, 512 mb

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.