PDA

View Full Version : SketchinŽ

ThomasMahler
09-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Well, I'm not sure if it's the right place to post that here, but since Modo is a cool modeler and is in heavy development, maybe my idea gets some attention!

What I mean by "sketching" is: Wouldn't it be cool if you could paint in your 3d viewports? You know, I'm thinking about roughing in forms/proportions of a character directly inside Modo. You could do that, for example, even before you'd start blocking out the shape of a character with cubes/extrusions.

Just think with me: You want to start working on a character, sketch around a little, create some poses, whatever, start to draw a rough sticky-figure of your model just like you'd while drawing on a piece of paper to get a better feel for your character. You could roughly block in the subdivisions you're going to need, you could "paint ahead" if you already modeled out some parts and think about how you're going to deal with the lower arm now, for example. I don't know, I often wanted to just grab my wacom and paint a few lines to feel a little safer - Compare it to a line drawing as the base for a painting. It feels more streamlined, it'd be harder to screw up.

Often, Reference Images just aren't enough to do the job - with the ability to paint directly into your viewports, sculpting could feel a lot more like drawing. You know, like you'd try to draw three dimensional forms on paper, you could just "draw ahead" of your character and create the geometry on the fly, just like you'd add details to basic shapes while drawing.

Modo could be cool for something like that: You could use a layer for all of your sketches, you could draw "on the workplane", if you'd be up for it, you could set up a few viewports of your character (so you'd see your roughed out shape from all sides and draw in shapes and proportions the character should have) and start modeling in the perspective while seeing the object beeing updated in the previously set up views and so on and so forth - And thanks to Nexus, you wouldn't be constrained to modeling. You could also start drawing in the line of action or arcs for animations.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought about something like that a few times before - you know, just beeing able to sketch-try details you didn't have in your reference images... I could go on like that for hours.

Sooo, what do you guys think? Totally stupid or worth thinking about?

Jockomo
09-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Have you tried the Sketch tool under the curves menu?
I think this may be what you are looking for

ThomasMahler
09-25-2004, 05:29 PM
I dunno, don't have Modo yet - Would be awesome if something like that would already be in Modo!

Nando
09-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Thomas

yep, I always wanted an opton like that also, it just makes sense for character work to define action lines and so forth.

the sketch tool draws bezier lines/curves so it isnt a paint tool, but if some how someone created a macro, or script to remove the bezier vertices in between the start, and end line then you could kinda fudge a couple of doodles.
If the lines kept their shape, but it would not have any pressure lines.

ThomasMahler
09-26-2004, 04:34 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=172982

You know, at that stage I'd LOVE having a pen to sketch out the face details without taking a screenshot and bringing the whole thing to Photoshop.

Often I just sculpt without anything in my mind (I don't recommend that, but it's sometimes nice to sculpt without thinking about anything) and at that time a sketch feature would be extremly helpful.

Sbowling
09-27-2004, 05:32 AM
Have you tried the Sketch tool under the curves menu?
I think this may be what you are looking for
I'm very happy this tool has made it into Modo. I used this a lot in LightWave to just sketch out ideas as I'm working. I could then go through and clean up the resultimg curves and use them as a frame for my modeling.

kursad_pileksuz
09-27-2004, 05:34 AM
i think best thing they can put about this sketching si that a skecth cut where you draw a sketch line and cuts the surface

or a sketch falloff where we can add to different tools as toolpipe item. actually i personally made something similar to this through macro, but currently workflow requires couple of steps, which i use vertex map falloff.

Dion Burgoyne
09-27-2004, 05:50 AM
Actually, that's a good suggestion, being able to sketch your backdrop images would be fun :) I'll add it to the suggestion box

ThomasMahler
09-27-2004, 06:34 AM
i think best thing they can put about this sketching si that a skecth cut where you draw a sketch line and cuts the surface

or a sketch falloff where we can add to different tools as toolpipe item. actually i personally made something similar to this through macro, but currently workflow requires couple of steps, which i use vertex map falloff.

I'm not talking about a modeling tool! I don't want to use it to model, I just want to use it to throw ideas around - I'll show you exactly what I mean later on (In my WIP). I often take a few shots of my characters from different perspectives, compose them to one image and start to sketch - especially if the references don't show me some details I'd need or the references just wouldn't work in 3d (or I didn't have any ;)).

kursad_pileksuz
09-27-2004, 06:44 AM
i actually sketch like crazy in 3d view on my model as well. i was doing that in lightwave too. but in maya due to some restriction i could not, but in modo even more possible to mess with your model in great ways, put in different layers, and hey there is great morphing tool in modo!! then morph to your original stuff

but i know what you mean, i do that sometimes.

ThomasMahler
09-27-2004, 06:49 AM
I guess you got it all wrong, Kursad! Let me say it again: I just want to draw into my viewports - Like you'd paint on a canvas, just to throw ideas around. I don't want to do fancy morphings or whatever because there wouldn't be a need for that.

But maybe I don't really understand what you understand by "sketching" - Man, it's certainly hard to make your point clear... ;)

kursad_pileksuz
09-27-2004, 07:04 AM
i understood that part when you have corrected me first time.

my "sketching" was mainly based on little bit like playing zbrush in modo. but that is my sketching.

:)

http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59830&stc=1

rob baldwin
09-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Actually, I think he might be imagining more of a 2d solution.

Which, as I think about it more, would rock hardcore!

What if you could sketch out some 2d paint-like strokes into a foreground layer, almost as if you were painting on the 'glass' of the viewport. This would be an image-based layer, and could eventually saved out as a 32-bit image with the proper alpha intact...and then reimported.

Of course that means that lux would need to code a paint app, but it could be pretty simple, but still be pretty effective. They're going to need to put in the pen/pressure stuff eventually anyhow.

Taking this even further.... What if the viewport's 'pane of glass' wasn't a pane at all, but a large sphere... that way you could rotate your view in a perspective window, and have the image rotate around with it... it probably would be a bit of a mess with the perspective and parallax and such, but it could still be pretty neato.

Hmm. Probably not as useful. In fact the sphere idea's pretty dumb.

But, mapping an alpha'd image to a viewport's foreground and background would be pretty amazing, even if the layers weren't live. Yummy.

(While I'm talking about images, let's get bigger than that wimpy 1024x1024!!! My graphics card's got 256mb, let me fill it up with some 2048's or 4096's!!)

-rob

duke
09-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Actually, that's a good suggestion, being able to sketch your backdrop images would be fun :) I'll add it to the suggestion box
Don't forget symmetry support! :P

Cyberdigitus
09-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Heh, do i see a Paint/Composite module immerging there...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.