PDA

View Full Version : Painter IX - things that sadly didn't change

andreasrocha
09-25-2004, 03:22 PM
I tried Painter IX and it looks really good, since they changed some things back to Painter 6 which was more or less a landmark. I believe Painter IX is on the right track, but it is a shame to find out that some things didn't change that probably should have, and perhaps will only change in Painter 10... However I would like to leave a sign of protest.

1. Already pointed out by some users, is the annoying setback of some settings when restarting Painter, like Paper Scale and the Color Info Color Mode. If the brushes' settings are memorized after quitting Painter why shouldn't other things be kept too?

2. The interface got really big compared to Painter 6. Why do the Palettes have a blue gradient top bar and then another bar for the title, instead of keeping things small and joining these two bars together?

3. The customizable magnifier increment should also apply to the zooming via the Window menu whose zoom actions are now keyboard customizable. In Painter 6 the zooming increments were quite good and really fast.

4. It was nice to have the brushes easily accessible through Windows Explorer in Painter 8, but if the programmers could join three files into one (like what happened to Postscript type turning into OpenType), it would be much easier to organize brushes and exchange them.

However I would like to point out some of the good things that are back in Painter or are new:

1. The snapping of all toolbars works great (however I think this was already a feature in Painter 8).

2. The customization of the work area background color is back which is great.

3. Digital watercolor is back like it should be.

4. Finally we have customizable keyboard shortcuts which is perhaps the best improvement.

I believe Painter is back on tracks with this new version and it is a great piece of software. However it is sad to see it is taking so many years for a software to improve, when most of the users keep pointing out what they dislike.

rebo
09-25-2004, 03:50 PM
THings id like to see in an update

1) A key that i can hold down that temporally sets the resat to zero, and then resets to to what it was before when i let go. So one can paint some strokes then mix them in with the same brush by holding down the resat 0 key and then painting some more strokes by letting go.

2) Some keys that i can bind that modifies the saturation/value. I.e. sometimes i want to pick a color on my painting, but want it slightly darker. So instead of alt picking it and then fiddiling with the color wheel, i can just pick it and say press Keypad 1 for half a second and it lowers the value a bit. This way i can focus on the painting and not on constantly moving to the UI.

NileshXYZ
09-25-2004, 04:54 PM
I use Dual Monitors, Unlike Photoshop were you can have PS window in one display and tools floating on 2nd display without having to Maximize on both displays.

So my wish would be to Set Tools windows outside the Painter software Window.

f97ao
09-26-2004, 05:50 AM
THings id like to see in an update

1) A key that i can hold down that temporally sets the resat to zero, and then resets to to what it was before when i let go. So one can paint some strokes then mix them in with the same brush by holding down the resat 0 key and then painting some more strokes by letting go.

2) Some keys that i can bind that modifies the saturation/value. I.e. sometimes i want to pick a color on my painting, but want it slightly darker. So instead of alt picking it and then fiddiling with the color wheel, i can just pick it and say press Keypad 1 for half a second and it lowers the value a bit. This way i can focus on the painting and not on constantly moving to the UI.
Yes, I want the very same things. The resat value would be cool, the same for artist oils too.
/Andreas

Squeakypics
09-27-2004, 02:33 PM
1. Free transfoming and rescaling an area of canvas gets a grey line around it.

2. Resizing the document when units are set to pixels and contstrain file size un checked doesn't work. The file stays the same size. - it works if you use cm's though.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.