PDA

View Full Version : HELP! peacock feathers

Brötje
09-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey,

I'm cutting out an image for an invitation in PS. I'm doing it all with layermasking ( to preserve detail ). But the man has some peacockfeathers on his hat ( don't ask ) and I want to know if there is a quicker way of seperating these feathers from the background then painfully painting them out...

CHEERS!

Elysian
09-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Depends on the background.

Self-Designer
09-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Magic Tool: Extract
(PS CS: Filter\Extrract ; PS 6/7: Image\Extract)

Anyway, draw the edge, choose with the Fill Tool (the bucket) the object you want to extract, and walla. The great thing is that you don't have to be 100% accurate. The computer itself defines what's of the background and what's of the subject among the painted area (the green outline) by comparing it to the choosen area (filled with blue) and the other image.

Brötje
09-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Hey,

This is the background. The Jpeg was badly compressed.

@Artist 3D : thanks, but I don't really get what you mean... Can you explain a bit more?

http://users.pandora.be/coene.michiel/VB.jpg

Cheers!

Self-Designer
09-25-2004, 03:58 PM
Explanations via messenger :)

Yet, here are some other points i've forgotten, for the others:

- It's important to do the edges as thin as possible. Check the "Smart Hightlighting" checkbox in the top right side of the window (not that top!)

- When it comes to hair or fur, it's impossible to work with "Smart Hightlighting" so just don't. Let photoshop do its best.

- In really hard cases, duplicate the layer, find the sharpest channel, or try to improve it somehow (levels, curves, brighten & contrast, whatever do the job).
Then use the extract on the processed layer.
ctrl-click the layer in the Layers' docker to get a selection in that shape.
And mask the source layer with that selection to get it cutted the same way.

- Anyway, don't try to get the perfect result. After the Extract thingy, use history brush and eraser to fix things right.

Elysian
09-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Wow, that's going to be a tough one! LOL

Ian Jones
09-26-2004, 04:29 AM
Yikes, that one sure is nasty. It can be done... but it's going to take a lot of patience. Consider possibly removing the feathers entirely and then painting them back in later so you don't have to worry about the transparency.

dg
09-27-2004, 07:58 AM
This one is really nasty, have you tried to use the extract and then paint the details back with the history brush?

SubtleMortality
09-29-2004, 03:17 AM
lets see, maybe duplicate the layer, select the brick color as foreground. then go to edit>Adjustments> replace color. then you can either A) replace it with black and set blending mode to screen on new background or B) set it to a really bright yellow and magic wand it out.

Elysian
09-29-2004, 05:25 PM
lets see, maybe duplicate the layer, select the brick color as foreground. then go to edit>Adjustments> replace color. then you can either A) replace it with black and set blending mode to screen on new background or B) set it to a really bright yellow and magic wand it out.You're all talk. Show us the result ;)

rickmann
09-30-2004, 07:09 AM
you could try this... if you want the hat to cover the head you could try selecting the front of the hat and duplicate it. Then transform that layer so that it is covering the back of the head, then just stamp out the remaning feathers using the brick texture.

Rick

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.