PDA

View Full Version : Slinky-Spine RIG

pooby
09-25-2004, 01:32 PM
This is my attempt at making an XSI-ISNER-style spine rig.

One that's easy to control from the top or the base, with lightwave working out the curve in between.

Give it a go.. It's very easy to use and, In my opinion, a much more natural way of animating than manually rotating the spine from the base up as you can pull this about like a real object..

Fasty
09-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Wow that's fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

pooby
09-26-2004, 11:55 AM
I'm glad you like it..

actually, the version I posted has a Bank problem.. When you rotate the base, the top moves. I have fixed this now and will post it tomorrow.

I'll also try and make a tutorial at some point as theres quite a lot happening 'behind the scenes.'

NileshXYZ
09-26-2004, 12:19 PM
i like it, easy to move around. thanks for sharing

michaelb
09-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Ditto. Very nice! I would appreciate the tutorial. I'm not versed on the XSI rig functions, so a little explanation of how you meant this to be properly controlled would go a long way. It's fun to yank around though. :)

pooby
09-26-2004, 02:51 PM
The only controls are for the TOP of the spine and the BASE.
These can be rotated and/or moved affecting the spine's curve.

The great thing about this rig is that you can swing the arse around with minimum effect on the shoulders.

It's like having IK that has no specified direction.

It makes dynamic actions like dancing or jumping a breeze.
Plus, say you have a shot where someone is sitting at their desk on a spinny chair. With this rig, with the bot null parented to the chair, you can just move the chair about and rotate it, and the shoulders will still stay approximately in place. This kind of movement is really hard to do traditionally without a separate rig with reverse IK going down the spine. ( but then that rig will not work for usual shots.. This rig can do both..

Or it would be great for the spine of a cat, for example. If a cat stretches, the arse end moves up without the shoulders moving much, and visa versa..

The problems with most spine rigs is that the spine has a ROOT which effectively is the parent of the top and the base..
Some riggers put the root in the middle of the spine so you can simulate hip swinging etc, but it is then hard to animate other movements freely, as the middle of the spine has to be manually positioned.

The object of my rig is to make posing intuitive without having to think about rotating a spine manually from any given point. you just put the shoulders and the arse where you want them to be and lightwave makes the curvature of the spine between them for you.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.