PDA

View Full Version : UV problem

nobody551
09-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Hi all itīs me again.
I have created two curves - one for the profile and one for extrusion.
Then I created a polymesh with extrusion along curve.
Everything works until here - the object looks like a road going left and right.

How do I create a texture projection which follows the road.
I want to apply a texture which bends with the road and tiles along the extrusion.

THX

optical op
09-26-2004, 10:39 AM
The technique for doing this has been the same in evert 3D app. I have ever tried, and although XSI is fairly new to me, the UV Editor ia very usuer friendly and powerful.

Apply your material and assign a XZ Projection

Alt+7 to open UV Editor > hit F6 to Syn selection so you can select in both editor and viewport.

Select all UV points that form one edge of the track and in the U or V type in box in the Editor (depends which way round your objects/textures are) put a figure of one or zero, to move all points to one edge. Repeat for the other side of the track.

You may need to go to the UV's menu, and hit wrap in U or V, again depending on your particular objects/maps, and then stretch out all points in the Editor ob the appropriate axis to get the repetative pattern e.g. lines down a road centre that follow the roads contours.

Hope this makes sense.

optical op
09-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Apologies for the shocking spelling in my answer to your query - just read it through. Must start taking evening classes...

RayenD
09-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Countour stretch subprojection will do it in few clicks. Details are in manual.

optical op
09-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Interesting, never tried sub projection. Will have to have a look. What does it come under in the manual index?

RayenD
09-26-2004, 06:57 PM
If you have production DVDs they explain it in details in texturing section. I think it is on new features DVD as well.

optical op
09-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Cool, will have a look at DVD - only watched selected bits of them so far.

Ta

nobody551
09-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Thank all of you for your feedback.
I already know some features of the Texture Editor. I like it more than those unwrapp UV in Max.
Nut if you create a Loft object in MAx there a checkbox for generating mapping coordinates
automatically. I know I should use Max... - but Softimage is more flexible in production.
I will buy the Production DVDīs in the Softimage store - donīt know wether to buy the XSI Foundation or the DVDīs alone?
See YA

THX

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.