PDA

View Full Version : output options limitted?

boxorcist
09-25-2004, 10:21 AM
When rendering a sequence of stills (using standard Mental Ray settings) in v. 4.0, you seem to have a very limitted amount of options in terms of what type of image file you can save as e.g. jpeg max. quality, tiff, etc.

Are these the only file types XSI will render?? Surely you can save .png sequences, or .rpf files, or even jpegs with a lower quality setting. Ever other 3d app I have ever used can handle all these.

Please enlighten me.

JDex
09-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Eh... it is what it is... it renders production quality formats, from which you have multiple options of conversion, both in the Flipbook (animated output) or via any number of external applications.

In 3 years of learning this stuff, I have never rendered, nor needed to render in a format XSI could not produce. :shrug:

boxorcist
09-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Ok, thinks I am with ya. NOTE: come from using Max, LW where you simply choose a format from a big list, adjust settings particular to that format such as quality, include alpha for example and hit Render.

Would this be the process then to create a sequence of .png or .psd images in XSI:

Adjust render settings to desired > choose a format from the render output panel e.g. .pic > render the sequence > load up into the flipbook > export as .png, .psd, etc, etc

Ta for any help

JDex
09-25-2004, 11:13 AM
More or less... but it's not the only way.

If I am doing an animation...

Generally I will render out a .pic sequence, and composite in After Effects... but if it's just a test animation, or requires no compositing, I'll load into the flipbook and export as the video format I need.

If it's stills...

Everything goes into photoshop. Usually as a .pic (thanks to the free plugin at edharriss.com) and do what ever I need to do.

There's about 6001 other methods you could use, depending on your needs...

boxorcist
09-25-2004, 11:21 AM
Use Combustion for compositing, so unless no compositing is needed, rendering a sequence of .pics from XSI would be my best bet. I would normally have used pngs, tiffs or tgas. Presumably .pics have embedded alpha which will be picked up by Combustion on import.

Ta again

JDex
09-25-2004, 12:17 PM
It took me a few weeks to get away from .tga's, but the .pic is a pretty good format. I highly reccomend it for textures heading inbound into XSI, at least before you convert to .map files.

I started using it for that, and eventually just made everything .pic, it's just a consistancy thing for me. There are many exceptional formats that will work with Combustion, etc...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.