PDA

View Full Version : Wings Flip Normals

torpro
09-25-2004, 06:40 AM
Hi I'm new to Wings3D modeling, and am having trouble finding where to flip some normals back to facing the right direction, can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

azazel
09-25-2004, 08:16 AM
it's called 'Invert' in wings :)

torpro
09-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Thanks azazel, invert was the one action I purposely skipped.

Ollarin
09-25-2004, 09:15 AM
Incase you don't know where 'invert' is. You have to select the object in body mode > Right click > Invert. :)

joker-like
09-29-2004, 07:15 PM
tnx any 1 again but about this topic invert or that we named it flip normal only is avilable for whole object?for instance if u wana flip a face of object what is the way?

nemyax
10-07-2004, 01:54 PM
No, it is not possible. Wings can only handle 2-manifold geometry, AFAIK. Neighbouring faces with opposite normals are an example of non-manifold geometry. Other examples are edges shared by more than 2 faces or faces that share only one vertex.
Anyway, such normals are illegal in winged edge topology, which treats a body as a chunk of sculpey.
Why is it you need to flip normals selectively? In case you need a hole, assign the hole material.

Ollarin
10-08-2004, 05:10 AM
In case you need a hole, assign the hole material.
Or, select the face, Right click > Intrude. :thumbsup:

puzzledpaul
10-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Personally, I wouldn't suggest using Intrude - unless you want the specific (type of) result you get from using it. Cos -

1) You'll introduce much more (probably unwanted) geometry, as you're creating an 'inside' set of faces to the original object whilst making a 'shell' of uniform thickness.

2) With some shapes - it can produce weird results as it 'folds back on itself'

If you're after making holes / tunnels thro' the object or indents / depressions etc - try using Face | Bridge / Extrude (region) / Bump for a start.

pp

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.