PDA

View Full Version : 2 Problems i have in Painter

rebo
09-25-2004, 03:00 AM
Hi, i wonder if the experts here can help me with my current two weakest points. Im kinda new to painting and drawing with a wacom and dont have a great amount of experience with real oil or acrylic painting. Ive only tended to do real pencil drawings and ink/marker drawings.

So i have two issues with the digital creation process at the moment, the first is getting nice clean lines. Much of what i draw with a wacom tends to be very scetchy, even after tidying up the lines i get a very sketchy outcome. I would like to be able to draw nice clean lines such as in the third picture on this link.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=171970

My other problem is with going from mid detail to fine detail. Or more specifically blending from mid to fine blend. So that surfaces have that realistic look as opposed to a impression/paintery look. Here is an example i saw where someone can blend really well and get a great finish. (see picture 2 to 3)

http://www.3dm-mc.com/tutorials/painter/nude/index3.php

When i try to blend like this my final result still looks really painterly ( which isnt always bad). Does one just use smaller and smaller brushes, or is there other tricks that can help.

I think maybe when i attempt these two tasks i am trying to rush things, however some tips /suggestions on these issues can really help me thanks.

Lunatique
09-25-2004, 03:51 AM
Remember, you are looking at severely resized versions of other people's work. In their native resolution, you'd see all the gritty stuff.

I tend to paint very clean--too clean and too sterile. It's my handicap, but if you are after that look, you might want to take a look at my tutorials at my site.

mcarp
09-25-2004, 06:25 PM
One thing I'd suggest regarding the first issue is making use of the rotate canvas feature, if you're not doing it already. I don't know the keyboard shortcut for Windows anymore, but on the Mac it option-shift. That lets you turn the canvas to any angle, so you can pull the stylus toward yourself as you draw (you hope) a smooth, flowing line.

That said, I've never been able to perfectly recreate the experience of inking with a brush. But I think that's the result of my own shortcomings, rather then the software's.

Jinbrown
09-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Click the "E" key to activate the Rotate Page tool.

Click and drag in the image to temporarily rotate the image.

Double click in the image to return it to its normal, upright position.

Click the "B" key to activate the Brush tool and continue painting freehand brushstrokes.

Click the "V" key to paint straight line brushstrokes.

lui 2.0
10-07-2004, 10:54 AM
hello mr. rob(lunatique) i really enjoy your tutorials found in d'artiste book. as i read the tutes, i found out that i as well is having big problems of painting "toooooo" smooth (which is fine anyway). what i wanna ask now is how would i be able to paint "not" too smooth like brush strokes are still pretty visible? any suggestions? thanks

rebo
10-07-2004, 11:34 AM
I recently also got a copy of d'artiste, it is an amazing book full of inspiration and a wealth of knowledge. Best book ive bought this year!

Lunatique
10-07-2004, 01:26 PM
lui 2.0 - Believe me, if I know, I'd be doing it already. LOL Some people say use larger brushes and don't zoom in. I don't think that's the answer. I think you have to step back and look at the overall "impression" of your piece--if your basic strokes look fine in the context of the big picture (for example, when you squint your eyes), then you probably don't need to detail it more. But, it really depends--selective detail can be very powerful. Pick an area of focus and give it appropriate detail, then let the rest stay impressionistic. Heh, if only I could practice what I preach. . ..

lui 2.0
10-08-2004, 09:31 AM
thanks man, your tutes in d'artiste are sooo clear that anyone could understand. your tutes alone could make d'artiste complete. ooops. lol

thanks a lot

btw, sir rob, this is my VERY FIRST painting (http://www.deviantart.com/view/11130212/) in painter after i read your tutes. im soo happy that i finally got nerves to start. here i used a reference. thanks for this. still a WIP btw.

forgive me!!! im sooo new wit this

Lunatique
10-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

Your new piece looks like a good start. Remember, it takes an insane amount of time and work to get to the point where you start to feel good about your work, so keep trying and don't give up!

lui 2.0
10-09-2004, 06:47 AM
thanks..ill take that

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.