PDA

View Full Version : The Nexus future

Beamtracer
09-25-2004, 01:25 AM
Probably the most amazing thing about Luxology's products is the underlying Nexus "3D OS", as they call it.

In some ways it reminds me a bit of the Java platform. Java was designed so that a single software application could run on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and just about any other platform out there. Java's motto is "write once, run anywhere". That was the theory, until Microsoft sabotaged it by releasing tainted versions of Java, but that's another story.

Nexus is different. It still seems to be a "write once" situation, where the same application code can basically run on both Mac OS X and Windows. Lux says that Modo is 98% the same code for both OS X and Windows, with about 2% of code specific to each platform. Brad Peebler has described the underlying "3D OS" as Luxology's greatest asset. We've even heard hints that Luxology is considering adding Linux to the platforms that Nexus will eventually run.

I understand that Nexus is the brainchild of Stuart Ferguson, the guy who also did most of the development work on both Lightwave's Modeler, as well as Modo. Nexus seems to be an amazing piece of code. Unlike other software emulators and "virtual machines" that make code run on multiple platforms, Nexus seems to suffer no speed hit. In fact, it seems to run faster than other systems written in native code. How they achieved this I don't know.

This leads me to wonder about what Luxology's future plans will be for Nexus. I'm sure they won't give too much information out here, but we can always speculate. At the very least, I think Nexus will allow speedy development of plug-ins and add-ons for Modo and the future Luxology renderer. But it could go further.

Will Luxology license the Nexus "OS" to other companies? For example, an outside company could develop a compositing application to run on top of the Nexus platform. Or what about non-graphics applications?

Will Luxology license Nexus to other companies who have nothing to do with 3D or graphics content, but who want a fast way to develop a cross-platform application? Such companies could include Nexus inside their own applications. Imagine if they could write one application and have it run on OS X, Windows, and possibly even Linux as well.

Luxology has also stated that their product development will be a lot faster as a result of Nexus. Their software gurus can be busy developing new features, rather than wasting time writing platform specific code that has to be rewritten for every platform. I believe this is what has stopped 3DS Max from going cross-platform.

So, there are some interesting possibilities that could arise from Nexus. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

c-g
09-25-2004, 01:40 AM
This leads me to wonder about what Luxology's future plans will be for Nexus. I'm sure they won't give too much information out here, but we can always speculate. At the very least, I think Nexus will allow speedy development of plug-ins and add-ons for Modo and the future Luxology renderer. But it could go further.
What I wonder about is if other developers will leverage Nexus and be able to write modules instead of just plugins. External apps evolving into Nexus modules. Could you imagine a realflow module instead of just a displacement plugin that reads realflow data? A Photogenics HDR module to poaint HDRI images "inside" the luxology suite. A Vicon Mo-cap system running "inside", feeding the animation module the data directly.

I'm just making all of that up, but you gotta wonder.

policarpo
09-25-2004, 09:04 AM
Could you imagine a realflow module instead of just a displacement plugin that reads realflow data? .

check out ralf from COREARSENAL (http://www.corearsenal.com/ralf/index.html) it might be what you are talking about.

Granted, it is for Cinema 4D...another brilliantly architected application.

:thumbsup:

Cyberdigitus
09-25-2004, 01:21 PM
I think that will be the goal indeed, after luxology has created the first few modules themselves. The OS terminology is a bit confusing, they'd better just call it a 3D platform, and have an SDK for it out. OS, API, SDK, they're all related terminology but i feel that way it's more clear what it is.

One thing that is certain is that Luxology must go to great lenghts to illustrate the importance of Nexus, and make it clear what it is all about. As Brad said in the interview, there was some confusion since they showed some of the technology with a rendering module. It should be clear by now that Modo is in fact built on top of Nexus.

dotTom
09-25-2004, 01:25 PM
check out ralf from COREARSENAL (http://www.corearsenal.com/ralf/index.html) it might be what you are talking about.

Granted, it is for Cinema 4D...another brilliantly architected application.

:thumbsup:
I've always wondered about Cinema 4D. It's clearly written by folks who really understand good software architecture and it is very feature rich, so aside from relatively recent improvements to its character animation toolset, why isn't it more successful than it is? Is the market just too crowded. I looked at getting C4D once, but it seems to have fewer books and community resources than XSI. Odd.

c-g
09-25-2004, 08:29 PM

N, that is still a plugin that imports RF data. It is just more open with what you can do with it. I mean having a button on the Nexus-based UI that you click and you see a RF simulation happening inside the program. Not read from the disk.

c-g
09-25-2004, 08:32 PM

No, that is still a plugin that imports RF data. It is just more open with what you can do with it. I mean having a button on the Nexus-based UI that you click and you see a RF simulation happening inside the program. Not read from the disk.

wolver1ne
09-25-2004, 09:42 PM
I guess Nexus is pretty much like NVIDIA Cg... or as already mentioned like Java. The possabilities are wide open...

Per-Anders
09-26-2004, 02:01 AM
No, that is still a plugin that imports RF data. It is just more open with what you can do with it. I mean having a button on the Nexus-based UI that you click and you see a RF simulation happening inside the program. Not read from the disk.
well that's down to developers. you could do that in any app, it all depends on what messages can be sent and recieved and how far nextlimit wish to take it. but by and large they seem to be happy with the external simulation portion running side by side with the importer.

Per-Anders
09-26-2004, 02:02 AM
one thing i am interested in though is does modo/nexus currently come with an SDK or is that a "down the line" thing?

lougandidas
09-26-2004, 02:28 AM
mdme_sadie, how easy would it be to recycle your code from your mesh surgery over to modo? Are there plans on doing that?

Per-Anders
09-26-2004, 02:36 AM
well... i don't have modo, and i don't even know if it comes with an sdk let alone what's available within it or what's possible with it. a lot of ms uses special hooks into the c4d sdk which is designed as an all encompasing cross platform environment, and as it is it's rather old now anyway so i'd sooner develop new toys. so without knowing anything about modo's api then i'm afraid i just don't know.

Nando
09-26-2004, 02:37 AM
one thing i am interested in though is does modo/nexus currently come with an SDK or is that a "down the line" thing?

currently there is no SDK with the download version.
Though I do remember that lux mentioned they are working on it (SDK)
or Maybe its on the shipping DVD.

Beamtracer
09-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Sometimes I wonder if a 3D "OS" may be all we ever need. No 3D apps out there do everything the best. A 3D OS will allow others to create niche apps that fill any voids that may exist. This must add a whole new dimension, compared with the mere plug-ins that exist for other 3D apps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.