PDA

View Full Version : Character: Repressed Thoughts

C0mmie
09-25-2004, 02:04 AM
The idea I was going for here is a repressed memory/feeling in an individual, as in Freudian psychology. I'm not sure if that can be plainly seen in the image or if more work is needed.

It's done in PS 7. I just got a Intuos 2, so I'm still getting used to it. I would appreciate an all around critique. Thank you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/C0mmie/evil-v3.jpg

hh_kiki
09-26-2004, 02:41 AM
the devil guy crawling out lacks depth. the higlighting on each part of his body is the same, when the topmost parts', like arms and head's, highlights would be brighter than that of the chest area.

The big head's face is very good with nice contrast.

will you be adding color?

efficientlyconfused
09-26-2004, 11:28 AM
The guy falling or crawling out of the other guys head appears to be have a young almost childish appearance to his face.

Secondly it is my understanding that the three fundamental psyche of the human according to Freudian is the id, the ego, and the superego. I’m having trouble determining which one this falls under, is it that his inner self or personality is emerging from the depths of his thoughts // never the less, good artwork and use of stroke, i like it how the piece can be interpreted in a number of different ways.

pyraxis
10-01-2004, 06:27 PM
It would really help to know what kind of thought or emotion you're trying to express here -- fury? shock? despair? The expresssion on the demon's face is critical to achieving that effect, and right now all I'm getting from it is a kind of vague surprise.

C0mmie
10-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Thanks to everyone for the critique.

In the image below I added shadows to the guy on the inside as hh_kiki suggested.

efficientlyconfused: I wasn't referring specifically to the id, ego, and superego. In general Freud believed that human beings can repress thoughts or memories that are too painful to remember, which can often account for irrational behavior in mentally ill patients. I can't see the guy's face as looking childish, could you elaborate on that?

pyraxis: I don't think I had any specific emotion in minds, just an overall concept of repression.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/C0mmie/evil-v31.jpg

kamrhon
10-02-2004, 08:33 PM
I'd pull away from the devil thing and go for a more sickly, dying sort of old man...if even a character....maybe more abstract....shapes to compose the "character." Thats just me though. Looks good otherwise.

C

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.