PDA

View Full Version : texture layer editor

Rabid pitbull
09-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Well I finally recieved my foundation disks, and so far the training is great. For some reason I thought that everything included would be teaching the foundation package. This is not the case, started to watch a lesson on the texture layer editor, looks very cool nice way of dealing with surfacing. Then I realized that is is not available in foundation. :cry: I guess this is the first big feature I feel missing. I am not complaining, the program is amazing as it is and I love the pricing! Just that this texture layer editor looks so much more comfortable to deal with. Well here's to hoping it gets packaged into foundation in the future, cool tool.

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 10:54 PM
you can do anything and everything you can do with TLE with the render tree.

optical op
09-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Agree that it is a shame that you dont get theTLE in Foundation, but for 300, you cant expect everything, otherwise who would buy Essentials, Advanced. Render Tree is tricky though if you have come from more visual Material/Texture editors, although in 4.0 you have a Material editor view which displays libraries, shader ball and the Tree all in one neat window so that should help

Finkster
09-25-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm also new to XSI foundation and am trying to get my head around the render tree etc. You should work through the "frosted vial" tutorial and its associated scenes. At a certain point the tutorial goes off to explain how to achieve some nice effects using the TLE. Obviously we can't follow along, but we can see the result. Open the turorial file "REN_e1_Frosted_vial_TLE_done" and have a look at the render tree for the table material. There you should be able to work out how to acieve the results described in the tutorial, using the standard render tree layers.

Good luck!

Rabid pitbull
09-26-2004, 12:30 AM
I will look into the tutorial, so far just absorbing so much info on the dvd's. I haven't really been looking too much at the tutorial media yet. I am really impressed with the power in xsi shaders. I bet there are whole books on them. The problem is coming from lightwave it is very unfamiliar, that is why I was so impressed with the TLE. I will get there, and in the end it is most likely best to better understand the render tree.

cinemagotham
09-27-2004, 04:11 PM
woops double post.

cinemagotham
09-27-2004, 04:19 PM
so are you telling me that there is no TLE in foundation? I was coming in here to ask why my TLE was totally blank and didn't have the functions described in the literature. I'm trying to use multiple textures on an organic shaped model that's made up of a few different pieces. Is there a good tutorial that'll show me how to use the render tree in the same way as the TLE. I'm bummed to find out about this.

bravmm
09-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Jut have a look at www.edharriss.com for the texturing tutorials. Layering textures isn't that difficult without the TLE.
Th rendertree is very powerfull, but it would have been nice to have the TLE in Foundation, especially for all the people "moving over" from other 3D apps. It would smoothen the transition in my opinion.
But a mix2color node and a weight map will go a long way.

cheers,

rob

Changeling
10-26-2004, 05:43 AM
Ah... the sweet feeling of finally figuring out that my PC is ok... I too was getting a black window with TLE ... but now I know....

Cheers CG talk.

By the way... XSI rocks. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif Still havn't animated anything but all else is good.

Kevin Albers
10-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Frankly, I found the lack of the texture layer editor to be a big dissapointment once I realized it was not part of the foundation package. To me, it seemed important enough to qualify as a "needed" tool for an entry level package. I hope they include it in future versions of foundation. Foundation is still a great value for the money, of course. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.