PDA

View Full Version : Source Paths issue

foxco
09-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Hey all, I have a project folder that i moved to a new directory and folder for data management and what not, but i discovered that the textures source paths are absolute! they are looking for the exact directory that the project used to be in that no longer exists. how can i change source paths to be local. i used to be able to move a project folder where ever and xsi kept sources "local to the project folder" so it never mattered where that project was specificaly located

Thanks in Advance

Fox

Ablefish
09-25-2004, 01:43 AM
I haven't found a preference yet, but so far my images sources default to Relative. Perhaps it has to do with how the sources are created, maybe if you drag images from the web right into the viewport you end up with an absolute path (pointing to your temp directory for example).

You can check out File->Source Paths to see if all your paths are absolute or relative. And not everyone's aware of this, but sometimes if you want to consolidate a project which is full of extra versions of scenes or unused pics in the Pictures directory, you can create a new project and do a Save As, but toggling the "Copy External Files Under Project". Not sure if that sets all the image sources to relative - would be nice if it did.

foxco
09-25-2004, 08:33 AM
k I will try that out, the absolute paths IS a joke!! and i hate it ahaha

SOS!!!

Fox

nobody551
09-25-2004, 01:58 PM
you could right click on the tabs of the folders like Models, Scenes ... and choose properties.
In the path parameter you could enter an enviroment variable or any absolute path.
not the best solution, but it works.

hope that will help you.

Atyss
09-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Absolute path is not a joke for the ones working in a pipeline. Normally you always use absolute paths for textures and all other kinds of sources.

Cheers
Bernard

foxco
09-25-2004, 08:12 PM
fair enough, its just not working for our pipeline although i know what you mean, when i started out as a jr.td I told them we needed a shared drive that can hold all the textures so projects moving wouldnt become a problem. but its too late and what i requested didnt happen, tho i dont blame them,stuffs been busy, but i foresaw this being a problem 2 months ago

sa ya i was only looking for a solution out of what our pipline got into

i DO however wish that changing the paths was easier.

Fox

Atyss
09-26-2004, 08:08 AM
Sorry but changing paths is done in a breeze..... do a search and replace all.

Cheers
Bernard

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.