PDA

View Full Version : slicing (connecting) selected edges is possible in modo!!

kursad_pileksuz
09-24-2004, 09:42 PM
save this one as txt or lxm file and call from system run macro
i know i will hear alot of, but that is not exactly what i want etc but think this way at least it is a starter until it is implemented:) (there may be times when it does nto work right direction, those are the times when you just want to use it for 2 edges)
this will cut selected edges in the middle and connect
only drawback of my method is that end end vertices on the row are not connected to the end edges rather there would be 2 edges overlapping. so whenyou move end vertices you will have triangle holes, if you do not no prob.
there are couple of solutions to the matter
select the end edges by using lasso, and press "p" for turning hole into polygon
or you can snap end vertices to closest ones etc etc
that is how i was doing my "connect" edges in general.in this case i recorded it as macro for you

beside that they are fixing that bug hopefully with new patch coming up there wont be holes

maybe someone can write a real script that would do all in once as well

#LXMacro#
select.convert "polygon"
hide.unsel
tool.set "poly.loopSlice" "on"
tool.setAttr "poly.loopSlice" "edit" [0]
tool.setAttr "poly.loopSlice" "pos" [50 %]
tool.doApply
select.nextMode
unhide

tjnyc
09-24-2004, 10:00 PM
kursad_pileksuz,

Not bad. I do see the obvious problem, but following what you have done, it should be possible to cut the joining edges and weld the related vertices. I'll definitely be looking at it, got some Perl experience under me, so I give it a go and see what I come up with.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

CoolDuck
09-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Great initiative of you kursad_pileksuz (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=108845)!

Strange that modo hasn't implemented connect right away. To me connect is one of the most important tools. vbmenu_register("postmenu_1599460", true);

kursad_pileksuz
09-24-2004, 11:39 PM
i am glad you guys liked it, i know it has flaws because it is based on loopslice, but if you assign it to shortcut etc it can make some part of you life easy.
there are also numerous other ways of doing connect based on selection, but infortunatelly i cannot detect certain edges and vertices during macro (maybe some high level scripting can) that is why those methods at some point rely on little manual control

kursad_pileksuz
09-24-2004, 11:56 PM
this one is nother way i do , but this one also leaves no ngon rather it connnects with triangle, so what you do is that, if you need to select 3 edges, please select one more from ends

#LXMacro#
select.convert "polygon"
hide.unsel
bevel "yes"
tool.setAttr "poly.bevel" "shift" [0 m]
tool.setAttr "poly.bevel" "inset" [0 m]
tool.setAttr "poly.bevel" "inset" [1 cm]
tool.doApply
select.nextMode
select.convert "edge"
select.convert "vertex"
select.nextMode
select.contract
collapse
select.nextMode
select.nextMode
select.convert "vertex"
select.nextMode
select.nextMode
select.nextMode
select.nextMode
select.convert "edge"
collapse
unhide

kursad_pileksuz
09-25-2004, 12:05 AM
i would suggest you to use on straight selectiosn you would get better results,
i am not a programmer, and these are just straight macros of they way i do stuff

#LXMacro#
hide.unsel
bevel "yes"
tool.setAttr "poly.bevel" "shift" [0 m]
tool.setAttr "poly.bevel" "inset" [0 m]
tool.setAttr "poly.bevel" "inset" [2.84 cm]
tool.doApply
select.nextMode
select.convert "edge"
select.convert "vertex"
select.nextMode
select.contract
collapse
select.nextMode
select.nextMode
select.convert "vertex"
select.nextMode
select.nextMode
select.nextMode
select.nextMode
select.convert "edge"
collapse
unhide

My Fault
09-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Nice job Kursad. At least for the time being we can connect edges as we click on them. Had that been missing I would've been shocked.

tayse
09-25-2004, 01:36 AM
I think this is one of the best things about modo, after a while users will realize that they do not have to wait for luxology or some other 3rd party developers to have the new tools or the tools that they used in another application, just make your own tools by using macros and there is no need to be a programmer.

One question though...! can you stop the macro somewhere in the middle to let the user to enter or change the default values like you do in a photoshop action ?

kursad_pileksuz
09-25-2004, 01:42 AM
i am not a profound macro person so far, but i belive certain fucntions ask for user input like file loadings etc. and i would like to get and answer to that question because that was what i needed during this macro ride for this edge stuff.
great thing about macro is that you do not need to be technical, if you can think parametric and in timeline fashion little bit, possibly you can make alot of stuff with it. and it is really easy to use and assign shortcut. i am already making my own tools.
for example like in photoshop i believe you can even batch process files, like triangulating adding shaders etc

pabloD
09-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Hey Kursad! Long time no see.

This is Paul Davies, Jason Felix's friend. We met a few years back.

Anyway. Nice script and great feedback in this forum.

I have been attempting to work out a macro that would actually connect the edges of the end polys (still haven't gotten that working but I have some ideas left to try).

I also realized that Loop Slice will not let you turn corners like Wing's Connect tool does. That's a bigger puzzle to solve. It may require full on scripting instead of macros. I'll post anything i come up with.

kursad_pileksuz
09-25-2004, 01:59 AM
hey Paul! nice to hear from you again. i was trying to push jason to use modo too , but poor guy he needs to use max at his current job :)
you can try adding saving selection sets and removing those selections etc. in my macros i used expand, boundary etc to make selection stuff parametric, otherwise macros cannot know what to select. i am sure there are more profound ways of doing this selection stuff. but it works great so far. current macros i posted are for simple needs, for more i guess luxology needs to record the macros :)

pabloD
09-25-2004, 02:48 AM
That's cool Kursad. I was using selection grow and selection sets too. I ran into a little problem that I have yet to figure a way around. Still working.

I only checked out your first script. I need to look at the others (i missed them the first time).

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.