PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray color bleeding

BFreese
09-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Mental Ray color bleeding

What is the best method to control the amount of color that is bouncing from a surface in Mental Ray for Max? I have an interior scene with tan walls and all white materials (door frames) are totally tan I believe because they are picking up the color from photons bouncing off of the walls. For example in the max radiosity render engine you can go into a material and pull down the amount of color that light will carry off with it.

Brett.

Sir_Vuclan
09-25-2004, 08:59 PM
I posted this just a few weeks ago as I was having the same problem as you. http://www.3dm-mc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4131 You can also use a photon basic (base) in the 'Mental ray connection' rollout on regular materials but i find it a little harder to use and renders slower.

BFreese
09-27-2004, 12:40 PM
SV

Thanks for the reply. Could you give a little more detail on the Photon Basic method? I am an architect but I tend to stay away from the architectural materials - well - just because I like to be in control maybe or just because I never use them. Anyway. if you have more info it would be greatly appreciated.

Brett

Sir_Vuclan
09-27-2004, 10:24 PM
I haven't messed with to many of the settings in it but, I could have a red ball emit blue light from just changing the diffuse color to what I wanted the reflected light color to be. In your case you would prolly want a very light tan or even white. but just mess with the diffuse color until it looks right.

The photon basic (base) map doubled the time it took to emit photons for me but I wasnt sure how to optomize all the settings.

Good luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.