PDA

View Full Version : Spline modeling?

spacemunky
09-24-2004, 07:43 AM
Has anyone done any spline modeling in Modo...birail...loft...etc...I have seen no docs on it and I am wondering if it is in the program at all. If anyone has some experience with this could you please post some ref material. or opinions on its performance.

milohas3Dee
09-24-2004, 10:28 AM
maybe I`m wrong but.. things like spline modeling, lofts, brails, interactive spline paching (group of 3 or 4 splines) are not supported in super strong modelar modo. It`s a SHAME! Before relasing of modo I tough that thing like that+consturction history will be basic tools. There is people who do not like construction history, well - don`t use it if u don`t like it. I`m sorry for some heavy words, but when I saw a lack of these tools I was very disappointment.

Hasnz
09-24-2004, 12:14 PM
yeah i miss those spline tools . . . about patching , modo does have a semi interactive patch tool ... ie .. when u make a patch out of four curves ... u can edit the curve points and ure surface will follow .

toonafish
09-24-2004, 01:06 PM
But it does have a really cool interface

maybe I`m wrong but.. things like spline modeling, lofts, brails, interactive spline paching (group of 3 or 4 splines) are not supported in super strong modelar modo. It`s a SHAME! Before relasing of modo I tough that thing like that+consturction history will be basic tools. There is people who do not like construction history, well - don`t use it if u don`t like it. I`m sorry for some heavy words, but when I saw a lack of these tools I was very disappointment.

Hasnz
09-24-2004, 09:03 PM
yeah .. no doubt it has a very fluid interface ... as simple as LW .. as interactive as maya ..
while box modellers will be drooling all over ... still it miss some tools that spline modellers would want .. there are some spline tool i cannot go without and are not available .. other than that .. a great package .. !! :thumbsup:

BinarySoup
09-29-2004, 10:02 PM
hmmm... is the spline patching in modo really that bad?, in lightwave, spline patching is a great asset when making inorganic stuff, especially when working off blueprints, it seems weird that luxology would not pay any attention to this. I read somewhere earlier that spline patching in modo was somewhat like that PatchIt plugin for lightwave that never seems to surface, anyone can shed some light on this?, it would be gratly appreciated.

yog
09-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Maybe the patch tools were left out on purpose, just to p*** off Larry :D

nuclearfessel
09-29-2004, 10:36 PM
it doesn't have those tools because its primarily a SubD modeler

BinarySoup
09-29-2004, 11:31 PM
I'm sort of confuzed, earlier I read there was a spline patch tool, now it sounds like there isn't, what is the real deal here guys? not part of the 1.0 release?

nuclearfessel
09-29-2004, 11:45 PM
I'm sort of confuzed, earlier I read there was a spline patch tool, now it sounds like there isn't, what is the real deal here guys? not part of the 1.0 release?
there are splines (B Splines & Bezier) and patching in Modo but you have to remember, its not a spline modeler, like Rhino for example.

BinarySoup
09-30-2004, 12:20 AM
sure, but rhino is totally based around curves/splines/bezier etc since it uses nurbs geometry. I was more thinking along the lines of spline patching such as that existing in lightwave, where you need to select 3 or 4 intersecting curves and then patch it into a surface, the problem in lightwave is that you would like to be able to adjust the splines with the patch updating in realtime, rather than patching, checking the resulting surface, tweaking the spline-cage, repatching and so forth. a plugin in the making for lightwave called PatchIt promised to deliver this, but has yet to be released. I read here somewhere that modo had patch capacities much like that of PatchIt, which peaked my interest, and I'd love to hear more about it if someone cares to explain.

nuclearfessel
09-30-2004, 12:28 AM
sure, but rhino is totally based around curves/splines/bezier etc since it uses nurbs geometry. I was more thinking along the lines of spline patching such as that existing in lightwave, where you need to select 3 or 4 intersecting curves and then patch it into a surface, the problem in lightwave is that you would like to be able to adjust the splines with the patch updating in realtime, rather than patching, checking the resulting surface, tweaking the spline-cage, repatching and so forth. a plugin in the making for lightwave called PatchIt promised to deliver this, but has yet to be released. I read here somewhere that modo had patch capacities much like that of PatchIt, which peaked my interest, and I'd love to hear more about it if someone cares to explain.
i have seen the tool that resembles PatchIt in modo and it rocks and luxology did say the curve/splines are fully editable after patching. i don't know exactly how it works as i still don't have modo but the patching is similar to LWs but a bit more since i guess you can edit the points on the curves :)

AmbiDextrose
09-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Wouldn't this require some sort of relational modeling- relating the spline curves to the surface patch so that when the curves are updated, the patch(es) is(are) updated as well? Maybe make it work both ways (update the patch and the spline curves are updated as well)? If you can do this, why stop at patches- can all geomerty entities support this? Can modo's underlying structure support this? I guess we'll find out once the SDK is released.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.