PDA

View Full Version : About Maya Camera into AE

Mcgrady_c
08-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Hi all :

I had a problem about import Maya 4.01 camera into AE 5.5.

The Camera in Maya had animation but didn't work in AE 5.5. I had read some help in AE 5.5 and MAYA, I don't think the animation of camera can't export. anyone knows?

thanks.

Mcgrady_c

beaker
08-13-2002, 08:17 PM
Animation on the camera is supported, but you have to bake the motion of it in maya before you export it to Afterfx.

flamedevil
08-25-2002, 08:09 PM
Excuse me, it's just for a stupid question, i'm french and i don't understand what do you mean by " bake the motion".
If i try to translate bake with babylon, it gives me this definition : "Cook in an oven" :shrug:

tHanx

MARW
08-31-2002, 06:35 PM
I'm trying to do the same thing..
I can tell you that it goes kind of slow when you try to import 2000 keys om camera data! My problem right now is that I cant seem to get the aim from the kamera to import into AE.

Any one know anything about this?

beaker
09-01-2002, 12:31 AM
Bake means many things in 3d. In animation it means to create a keyframe for every frame of animation for that object. In texturing it means to flatten your entire node structure of a texture into a single file node. In lighting, baking means to actually "bake" or put the light into your texture maps. In dynamics you bake a simulation so the animation is build into the object as keyframes rather so it isnt depending on the dynamics to create the simulation anymore. Dynamics can have randomness so each time you render the animation may change slightly so you bake it so it stays the same no matter what machine you render on.

To bake the camera handles, just select them and do a Edit > Keys > Bake Simulation. Then afterfx should be able to read all you animation in.

two.oh
02-17-2005, 01:22 AM
im having a bit of trouble importing the proper camera movements into AE from Maya. I understand this working for Camera movements, but not for Camera and Aim control. I tried baking everything, even the group. Any suggestions?

beaker
02-17-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't have the AE manuals near by but I think it only supports single node cameras, not 2 & 3. Just use a single node camera with an aim constraint.

two.oh
02-17-2005, 05:55 PM
actually, i figured it out last night. this is what i did:
I selected the camera group, and under 'bake simulation' (edit->keys->back simulation), you have to select:

- 'below, from channel'
- 'from channel box'
- check 'driven channels'
- check 'disable implicit control'

as a result, make sure you select which channels in the channel box to bake before you do it(ie. translation, rotation).

i got the results to work perfectly after exporting an .ma file into After Effects. Hope this helps future users!

yuliliao
02-22-2005, 02:38 PM
I did everything as you said, two.oh.....but I can't see the camera in AE~
I mean, I can import it and there is a camera layer(although doesn't really looks like the cam if u create in AE), but can't see a camera showing in any 3D view window~
does it mean that it failed?

two.oh
02-22-2005, 11:54 PM
You imported the Maya camera file (*.ma) into After Effects? From there, you should be able to just drag it into a new composition and by default, see through that camera. Then you should check all your layers as '3D layers'.

If that doesn't work, then please break down what you did after you exported the camera to an .ma file.

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.