PDA

View Full Version : Animation Session 10 - Monologue - September 23 > October 23

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Hi Everyone,

Last animation session was a huge success both in participation and results. Lets break our record with this one :)

You asked for it , you got it:

This sessions theme is: Monologue (Army of Darkness)

Rules:

- Pick and download one of the soundclips posted at the bottom of the thread and animate your character to the line.

- Animations need to have full body acting , no floating faces with lipsynch. You need to have the full character.

- No Dynamics

- Location modelling should be kept to a bare minimum and be simple. An empty background and a plane that the character stands on is fine.

- You can use pre-rigged characters and models from past challenges , free models , etc.

- Camera cuts are NOT allowed , camera needs to be static.

- No need for lighting/rendering. Playblasts are acceptable , the focus of this session is animation so do NOT hide the character by making a dark scene.

- This session starts September 23th and goes until October 23th

- Please create a thread with your name and the animation session # and the sport name for entry. Ie: John Smith - Animation Session 10 - Dialogue 1

- Animation done prior to this session is NOT acceptable. please create new animation for this session.

- WIP and Final animations should be 320 x 240 or 640 x 480 , using quicktime with sorenson 3 codec. Try not to use DIV-x since there is no way to scrub the animation and it makes giving critiques that much harder.

- You can post any questions you have about the session in this thread .

Prize: The winner will recieve a coveted "Animation Session Winner" trophy picture he\she can put on his website.
--

Here are the links and descriptions of the sound files , they are from the movie "Army of darkness" :

Dialogue 1:

Ash: "Now I swear, the next one of you primates who even touches me. AAAAAARRR"

Link to sound file (right click save as) :

http://ali.cgcommunity.com/dark5.wav

Dialogue 2:

Ash: "Clatto! Verata! Nn(coughcough). Okay then - that's it."

Link to sound file (right click save as) :

http://ali.cgcommunity.com/dark11.wav

Dialogue 3:

Ash: "See this?....This..is..my BOOMSTICK!"

http://www.tvwavs.com/wavs/Army_of_Darkness/-/boomstck.zip

-------

Best of luck to everyone and looking forward to seeing everyones animations!

Cheers ,
Ali

titaniumdave
09-24-2004, 12:29 AM
I'm in again. :thumbsup:

tuna
09-24-2004, 12:36 AM
In like a hermit!

I'm liking the 2nd sound clip so far.

[edit] Hmm Maybe the 1st...

:RivetHead:
09-24-2004, 01:36 AM
What! Where's the BOOMSTICK!? :p

eirenicon
09-24-2004, 01:50 AM
Just curious, has there been a thread on free rigged models? I'd like to participate but I don't know a thing about rigging.

Haggismaximus
09-24-2004, 01:50 AM
Ahh Bruce Campbell, if there ever was a hero....

At the end of this we need to send him an email and see what he thinks.

Dirtystimpy
09-24-2004, 02:07 AM
ohhhh, this could be sweeeeeeeeeeet!

too bad you don't have>>>
"Good, Bad... I'm the guy w/ the gun"
or
"Looks like your in charge of 2 things around here, jack and sh*t, and jack just left town."

titaniumdave
09-24-2004, 02:12 AM
Just curious, has there been a thread on free rigged models? I'd like to participate but I don't know a thing about rigging.
There are a few. Do a search in your software's forum, as in if you use maya check out the maya forum.

erilaz
09-24-2004, 02:15 AM
Oh dear. I really want to do this, but I can't recall there being a free facial/body rig for max, other than anima (Which is great, but not robust). I don't know if I have time to make one!!!

Paul F Diaz
09-24-2004, 02:43 AM
This sounds awsome! I'm going to see if I can find some time!:scream:

Undead Fred
09-24-2004, 03:43 AM
Perfect! I'm just finishing up a head rig on that old Mr. Orange character I used in the Supermove thread, so I need to test it. So, are we allowed to lipsynch as long as the whole character is animated, or do we have to use a blank-faced character?

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 03:48 AM
Oh dear. I really want to do this, but I can't recall there being a free facial/body rig for max, other than anima (Which is great, but not robust). I don't know if I have time to make one!!!
Hey man , dont worry about a elobarate facial rig , as long as it has eyes and a mouth ( a flapping mouth is fine , think robot mouth) you can sell the performance with body language and eyes-brows. I myself will animate with a parented geometry model , the model has a up down and jaw left\right control , thats it , and thats the model everyone uses for pixar classes at academy of art , so you can get decent performance out of a simple model , dont worry.

Take a look at Ila_Solomons free rigs for max:

http://www.ilasolomon.com/freestuff.htm

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 03:50 AM
ohhhh, this could be sweeeeeeeeeeet!

too bad you don't have>>>
"Good, Bad... I'm the guy w/ the gun"
or
"Looks like your in charge of 2 things around here, jack and sh*t, and jack just left town."

LOL , man i searched high and low for the "good bad i am the guy w the gun" and "this is my boomstick" lines but couldnt find em :)

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 03:50 AM

What software are you using?

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 03:56 AM
Perfect! I'm just finishing up a head rig on that old Mr. Orange character I used in the Supermove thread, so I need to test it. So, are we allowed to lipsynch as long as the whole character is animated, or do we have to use a blank-faced character?

you can lip-synch as long as the rest of the body is animated as well.

Milho
09-24-2004, 04:32 AM
Here are some more free rigs from the guys who brought www.rigging101.com to you :)
http://www.digital-dreams.net/
http://www.lluisllobera.net/

Look at the downloads (i disslike direct links)

oshiroii
09-24-2004, 04:43 AM
I think I'm gonna join too this time, we've got a month, so I'm sure I'll find some time :D I really like the first sound file! Way to go Sheep Factory!

JesseDavis
09-24-2004, 05:10 AM
- reserved -

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 05:12 AM
cheers guys , dont forget to start your thread!

Dirtystimpy
09-24-2004, 05:20 AM
LOL , man i searched high and low for the "good bad i am the guy w the gun" and "this is my boomstick" lines but couldnt find em :)
Hey Sheep factory
just a thought... I have these 2 on my cpu...

Go ahead and run, run home and cry to MOMMA
and
Well Hello Mr. Fancypants.

So just let me know either to>> stop it already with bugging you w/ these clips,
or, I'll email them to ya! hahahaha

Geta-Ve
09-24-2004, 05:25 AM
I dunno.. I mean the whole movie is riddled with great lines like that.. Cant we just start a collection? and anyone can use any one them.. so like if I have a few I just submit them and people can use those? or what not..

or perhaps if we can find them we can use them.. it would really be great to not be as limited.. and plus like i said.. theres so many great lines in this movie :D

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 05:26 AM
Sure e-mail em to me!

Check your Pm :)

DigiLusionist
09-24-2004, 06:07 AM
Here's a link to a site with a lot of his movie quotes:

http://www.tvwavs.com/bcwavs/army_of_darkness.shtml

AndyH
09-24-2004, 06:10 AM
Sounds good, but only 2 quotes?? seems a bit limited considering how many good lines ash has. I woulda loved to have seen a wav of the bit in evil dead 2 where he has a laughing fit - that woulda made for some good animation.

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 06:15 AM
thanks for the link , but i'll keep the sound files as it is , and maybe add the boomstick one later on , still undecided on that one , its a bit too short.

Noodlz
09-24-2004, 07:09 AM
sounds like a great comp, i'll join in once my character animation assignment is finished! :thumbsup:

arona
09-24-2004, 07:22 AM
sounds great. the competition looks great and even sounds :) . lets see what we can do.

Demilliac
09-24-2004, 07:40 AM
For sur I'm in !
But there is something the little poor french am I don't understand : at the end of dialogue 1, the sentence tell "I'll kill you", but in the sound file I understand "get out !" does I'm wrong ? I've never seen this movie so I'm confuse about that.
I'm always affraid about not understanding the real significance of the english language. But I'll try to not shock you :D

Siriol
09-24-2004, 08:12 AM
I agree Demilliac, i struggled to understand what he was saying at the end. I thought it sounded like get out! Anyway, i'll keep listening and get some ideas for this scene, it should be fun. I'm going to try and enter this, going to make some time for it.

eek
09-24-2004, 08:23 AM
ive been away for a while, but im gunna give this ago!.

eek

DimitrisLiatsos
09-24-2004, 09:31 AM
:bounce: Oh boy ..oh boy...I am in....downloaded both dialogues ...let's have some fun....:bounce:

Demilliac
09-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Is it possible to someboby upload this parts of the movie for the ones like me who never seen it ? or may be that's cause copyright problem ... arg

mimo8
09-24-2004, 11:24 AM
I am in
:thumbsup:

I also would like to see a bigger variety of quotings but the two chosen are allready inspiring me to go for it

Stuppert-CharTD
09-24-2004, 11:35 AM
hey sheep factory,

just to make sure i understand you correctly, everybody that has an entry done creates his/her own new thread and links to it? (from where - this thread?)

thx,
nd

Yen3D
09-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Damn....those wav files sound so cool:bounce:

Im IN.....i think...:D

Remi
09-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Holy crap....do you people sleep:p I'm in

titaniumdave
09-24-2004, 01:56 PM
hey sheep factory,

just to make sure i understand you correctly, everybody that has an entry done creates his/her own new thread and links to it? (from where - this thread?)

thx,
nd
No you just great a thread in the animation session forum. Just make sure your thread is titled "Your name - Animation Session 10 - Dialogue 1" without the quotes. When the session is over you will post a link to your thread in a new thread that sheep will create for all the completed animations.

hoochykoo
09-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Hey all, I was just wondering if there is anywhere to view the previous session? I thought it would be fun to check out!

pat

sensai2nd
09-24-2004, 02:57 PM
guess it might be a lil' late, but I found that "boomstick" line here (http://www.wavcentral.com/movies/armdark.html) It's the longer version with him ranting about his gun!!!

Anim_Changes
09-24-2004, 03:12 PM
I was curious, if anyone can post a link to the past animations for this session.
It would be great and inspirational to watch them all.
Me and a few others from work will prolly have some fun with this stuff

peace out
-TT

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 03:41 PM
I was curious, if anyone can post a link to the past animations for this session.
It would be great and inspirational to watch them all.
Me and a few others from work will prolly have some fun with this stuff

peace out
-TT

Here are the final submissions for last session:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=170225

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Is it possible to someboby upload this parts of the movie for the ones like me who never seen it ? or may be that's cause copyright problem ... arg

No need , I'd discourage you from seeing it before the session is over also. This also goes for others , dont try to replicate Ash's performance exactly as it is in the movie , make your own interpretation :thumbsup:

titaniumdave
09-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Don't worry about it. I haven't seen the movie either. The way I'm goint about figuring out how I want my guy to act is acting out the lines myself. Sure you look stupid standing in front of a mirror yelling but it works. :)

oshiroii
09-24-2004, 04:13 PM
guess it might be a lil' late, but I found that "boomstick" line here (http://www.wavcentral.com/movies/armdark.html) It's the longer version with him ranting about his gun!!!

Will this one be added? I understood it could be a posibility. I must say I love this line. It's so funny :D It's also got some nice pauses, accents, tones etc.(I can see it before me , oooooh, this one is sooo cool) I hope this will be added, if not I'll do it for my personal work anywayz ^.^

GrahamHRoss
09-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Oh boy! Army of darkness! I missed th elast one, but man I can't resist doin this one!

BTW, What do you mean by no dynamics?

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 04:33 PM
UPDATE!:

The "boomstick" line is added to the list of dialogues you can pick from at the first page. The link is at the bottom of the first post. This concludes the sound file selection for this session , please do not ask for more.

Please make sure to start your threads and post at every step of the way so you get a lot of critique. A lot of people seem to post when they are almost done with the animation , thats not the point of these sessions , get critiqued and also please critique others.

Thanks and happy animating!

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=

BTW, What do you mean by no dynamics?[/QUOTE]

There is always someone who tries to use dynamics in the sessions. they are not our focus and there is a seperate fx wars challenge for dynamics anyway. The rule is there so people dont waste time with it and focus on animating. :thumbsup:

3D Swede
09-24-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi!

Is it allowed to include more than one character in the animation?

/3D Swede

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 04:55 PM
Hi!

Is it allowed to include more than one character in the animation?

/3D Swede

yes , its fine.

Demilliac
09-24-2004, 05:15 PM
well ... if I was asking that video clip, it was just for help me understanding the original dialogue sens but ... forgot that, I think I'm ok with it now. My harrap's gave me a hand :thumbsup:

McGreed
09-24-2004, 05:46 PM
No need , I'd discourage you from seeing it before the session is over also. This also goes for others , dont try to replicate Ash's performance exactly as it is in the movie , make your own interpretation :thumbsup:

Do you mean that you shouldn't make the Ash character (model) for this, but make your own kind of character ? Seen some of the stuff others is making, and so far, none of them is Ash, so before I start looking for more referances of Ash, I kinda want this cleared :)

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Do you mean that you shouldn't make the Ash character (model) for this, but make your own kind of character ? Seen some of the stuff others is making, and so far, none of them is Ash, so before I start looking for more referances of Ash, I kinda want this cleared :)

Man of course not , where does it say you should model ash. Do NOT do any modelling rigging for this session if you can avoid it , and you can by using a free model\rig available on the net.

As it is written under the rules:

- You can use pre-rigged characters and models from past challenges , free models , etc.

eirenicon
09-24-2004, 06:11 PM
What software are you using?
3ds max 4 (still in the stone age). All I've found so far is the 'Ciceto' model on Pepeland, but the link doesn't work :sad:

Capel
09-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Ok, i'm definately in. And i'm pretty sure the end of the first sound byte is just him yelling, not saying "I'll kill you!" Cuz in the movie at that part, a monster climbs out of the well and Ash turns and shoots it. I'm pretty sure. Anyone want to verify?

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Yes its just a scream , I'll go change that in the first page as it seems to confuse more than help.

McGreed
09-24-2004, 06:18 PM
*wipes his forhead* well, then I relieved :) Might join the fun then....though gotta learn rigging first :D

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 06:28 PM
*wipes his forhead* well, then I relieved :) Might join the fun then....though gotta learn rigging first :D

What software do you use?

hugo.m
09-24-2004, 09:04 PM
OK I'm in...hopefully this time I'll be able to finish it.

McGreed
09-24-2004, 09:21 PM
@Sheep Factory

Im using 3D Studio Max 6. Dont know if I should get to know character studio or just make it only in 3DMax. Any advise?

Fungusmonkey
09-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Is this limited to 3d, or to any style of animation(2d/flash/etc)? I've never participated in these sessions, but this one is far too cool for me to pass up.

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 10:32 PM
@Sheep Factory

Im using 3D Studio Max 6. Dont know if I should get to know character studio or just make it only in 3DMax. Any advise?
you can use a free rigged character:

Like the professor one , is ready to go , just download and start animating.

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Is this limited to 3d, or to any style of animation(2d/flash/etc)? I've never participated in these sessions, but this one is far too cool for me to pass up.

Any type of animation is fine, its not limited to 3d.

Paul F Diaz
09-24-2004, 11:23 PM
I have a question. Can I add a couple of secs to either the begining or end of a clip for cushion?

SheepFactory
09-24-2004, 11:24 PM
I have a question. Can I add a couple of secs to either the begining or end of a clip for cushion?
Thats totally fine

AVTPro
09-25-2004, 05:21 AM

Well, been looking for a reason to do phenomes to my avatar.

BTW, I have one free but it's ElectricImage. :buttrock:

So we have a choice of 3 or we can do just one if we want?

SheepFactory
09-25-2004, 06:53 AM
So we have a choice of 3 or we can do just one if we want?

You have to pick just one and animate that.

ninjaboy
09-25-2004, 10:09 AM
its on like donkey kong

Fungusmonkey
09-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Cool. Then I am definitely in.

Peter Pan
09-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Is it ok to change the speed/tembre of sound a bit? I have a female character, and the lines are all coming from a guy, so if I could do that (change the sound slighly), the sound would be more natural.

SheepFactory
09-26-2004, 02:38 AM
Is it ok to change the speed/tembre of sound a bit? I have a female character, and the lines are all coming from a guy, so if I could do that (change the sound slighly), the sound would be more natural.

Nope sorry , no tempering with the sound file. You can use one of the free rigs available if you want , or make the female character look like male (put a mustache on her and delete the hair or something :) )

Celshader
09-26-2004, 03:43 AM

Sir, you need to be a hopeless internet addict like me. :wavey:

I did this Google search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=%22good+bad+I%27m+the+guy+with+the+gun%22+wav) and found this site with Army of Darkness wav clips:
http://new.wavlist.com/movies/093/

This site has "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun":
http://shagpro.com/Lise/ed.html

I hope to participate in this contest -- I love Ash!!! Are celshaded models OK? If so, I'll try to finish modeling this guy (http://www.celshader.com/gallery/lore/) for the contest. :D

SheepFactory
09-26-2004, 04:08 AM
Sure its fine. Will you have time to model rig and finish animating though?

ralphpoon
09-26-2004, 07:23 AM
what's BOOMSTICK?

Papashango
09-26-2004, 09:07 AM
it's his shotgun - a stick making BOOOOOOOM! harharhar:D

Celshader
09-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Sure its fine. Will you have time to model rig and finish animating though?

We'll see. :D

erilaz
09-27-2004, 05:13 AM
Hey man , dont worry about a elobarate facial rig , as long as it has eyes and a mouth ( a flapping mouth is fine , think robot mouth) you can sell the performance with body language and eyes-brows. I myself will animate with a parented geometry model , the model has a up down and jaw left\right control , thats it , and thats the model everyone uses for pixar classes at academy of art , so you can get decent performance out of a simple model , dont worry.

Take a look at Ila_Solomons free rigs for max:

Thanks for that Sheep.:)

SheepFactory
09-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Thanks for that Sheep.:)

I dont see your thread yet? ;)

TANGOMAN
09-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Count me in! I started to animate the dialogue numer 1

-John-

::::::27 of Sep. :Now my web is working again :O) ::::::::::::

dsolo
09-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Ok here we go!:bounce: Now I have to choose one...:hmm: :banghead:

AlexMateo
09-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Good works , i cant wait to see more.

emorej2004
09-30-2004, 01:48 PM
great job, good timing , "chapeau bas"

Undead Fred
10-03-2004, 09:02 AM
Personally, I liked option 1 for the dialogue. My rig's all done, except I've got to get the eyes working. I'm hoping I'll get time to participate in this session soon (and we do have a decent amount of time on this one, too).

Supergirl
10-07-2004, 01:19 AM
I'm in! I'll be doing dialogue 3 :applause:

Undead Fred
10-15-2004, 09:06 AM
I may not have time after all. I've got a 5 minute animation that needs to be all blocked in and heading down the refinements road by the end of the month. If I get a chance, I'd really like to participate... but it's not looking too favorable. Ah, well. Next time!

SheepFactory
10-15-2004, 09:18 AM
everyone wrap it up this weekend and the post your finals thread will me created monday!

ajk48n
10-19-2004, 08:14 AM
For our final animation, will you grab it out of our post, or do we need to submit it a different way?

SheepFactory
10-19-2004, 06:30 PM
SESSION IS OVER

Please post your final anims in this page:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=179118

--
Ali

harmonic01
10-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Hey, are we allowed to post a frame out of our animation? Or a link only?

SheepFactory
10-19-2004, 09:17 PM
you can posta frame if you want , make sure to post the link also.

d_jnaneswar
10-23-2004, 07:45 PM
okies... im uploading my sor3 video.. but pretty low quality tho...
good luck every one!

harmonic01
10-25-2004, 04:40 PM
Soooo......:) I'm just wandering how long do we have before Post Your Finals post will be closed? :bounce:

Obraxis
10-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Soooo......:) I'm just wandering how long do we have before Post Your Finals post will be closed? :bounce:
I agree :) Also, if/when a front page shall be in order that would be cool.

Remi
10-26-2004, 03:43 PM
yea...whens the voting start sheep? Let's get it on:)

d_jnaneswar
10-26-2004, 05:19 PM
isnt it over yet????

harmonic01
10-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Hmm, Sheep hasn't posted anything in the last 5 days. Maybe he's sick? I hope he's alright. :)

SheepFactory
10-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Sorry for the delay guys , i was extremely busy this last days.

I closed the submissions thread and will start a voting thread and plug it on frontpage tonight.