PDA

View Full Version : Second Round of questions

spacemunky
09-23-2004, 07:40 PM
OK, time for more somewhat simple workflow questions for the very helpful luxo people

1. Is there a hotkey for snapping to geometry...ie...snapping verts to other verts by hand then welding or snapping and welding at the same time like XSI
2. Can i use the knife tool without having to select my edges first...like maya...just starting drawing your split from edge to edge and vert to vert
3. How do i create a polygon form scratch like the create poly tool in maya...simply draw points in an orthographic view

Thats all for now...moving on spline modeling..I'm sure I will be back later for more...thanks in advance guys

yog
09-23-2004, 07:55 PM
1) Select two verts and then use the Join command, the first vert(s) get welded to the last. Not quite as elegent as XSI, but you have the same result.

2) Yep, pick the slice edge command "C", then just start clicking.

3) Yep, it's called the pen tool.

Pazur
09-23-2004, 09:54 PM
3. You can also select points You want to create a poly from (must be in order they should be connected) and hit "p"

yog
09-23-2004, 10:05 PM
1) Select two verts and then use the Join command, the first vert(s) get welded to the last. Not quite as elegent as XSI, but you have the same result.

Actually, thinking about it the Modo method is probably faster (select two verts and then one hotkey), as opposed to XSI (which is two hotkeys and then two verts to select). But it somehow it feals more satisfying to me to drag and weld like XSI. Wierd, perhaps it's just me :shrug: :D

Kayumni
09-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Actually, thinking about it the Modo method is probably faster (select two verts and then one hotkey), as opposed to XSI (which is two hotkeys and then two verts to select). But it somehow it feals more satisfying to me to drag and weld like XSI. Wierd, perhaps it's just me :shrug: :D In XSI, its hit 'M' for Move Point (Drag in LW), hold Alt, then do one drag...and you've welded two points...you don't need to select any points...

AND if you want to weld more than one set of points, you don't have to hit 'M' again, you just continue to hold ALT and drag away....without ever having to select any points or hit another hotkey...you just tweak and weld away...

Its the best tweak/weld system in any program I've come across.

yog
09-23-2004, 11:06 PM
In XSI, its hit 'M' for Move Point (Drag in LW), hold Alt, then do one drag...and you've welded two points...you don't need to select any points...

AND if you want to weld more than one set of points, you don't have to hit 'M' again, you just continue to hold ALT and drag away....without ever having to select any points or hit another hotkey...you just tweak and weld away...

Its the best tweak/weld system in any program I've come across.

Yep, when I was thinking about it though it crossed my mind that running the cursor over the points in XSI is no different than running the cursor over points in Modo to "select" them, so although you dont actually select/highlight them, you are making the same mouse movements in XSI.

But you are right that it defenately is faster if you are doing more than one weld in XSI.

Agreed, XSI is without doubt one of the nicest fealling programs I have used. The total control you get over seamingly everything just inspires confidence.
Unfortunately I have not had enough time as I would like to become really familiar with Modo (work comitments), but it will be interesting how ease of use compares in say a month or two.

CoolDuck
09-23-2004, 11:09 PM
How can I keep the dialogbox with the choice of "average and keep 1 vertex polygons" NOT coming up when I press the join button?

Pazur
09-24-2004, 08:03 AM
there is a separate command for average weld that pops no UI. Also, after You do weld with settings You want once You can go to history, find that command and assign it to a key (Right click on the command and there should be option "Map to a key"). From now on under this shortcut You will have weld with exactly those settings You set up before.

If You want the dialog box to go away: You should have an option on the welding info dialog not to show this message anymore. Simply click it and it won't appear next time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.