PDA

View Full Version : Gr2: Cpt Scott Mitchell, Red Storm Entertainment, Joseph Drust | Jeff Mcfadyen (3D)

Piggyson
09-23-2004, 04:32 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/10637/10637_1095953519_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/10637/10637_1095953519.jpg)

Title: Gr2: Cpt Scott Mitchell
Name: Red Storm Entertainment, Joseph Drust | Jeff Mcfadyen
Software: 3ds max, Deep Paint, Photoshop

This is a render of the in-game character model of Captain Scott Mitchell from Ghost Recon 2. The model is around 4700 polys (triangles) with two 512 texture maps including specular maps.

A former enlisted soldier from Ohio, Captain Scott Mitchell worked his way up through the ranks to become the leader of the elite Ghosts. Mitchell is the consummate soldier. He leads by example and believes that respect is earned, not awarded.

I'll post wires and concept up shortly :)

Thanks,

-Joseph-

Piggyson
09-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Wires:

http://www.piggyson.com/cgtalk/Drust_McFadyen_Mitchell_viewport.jpg

http://www.piggyson.com/cgtalk/Drust_McFadyen_Mitchell_closeup.jpg

Concept:

http://www.piggyson.com/cgtalk/Drust_McFadyen_Mitchell_Concept.jpg

-Joseph-

Piggyson
09-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Forgot to post the high res version as well

<<-High Res Version->> (http://www.piggyson.com/cgtalk/Drust_McFadyen_Mitchell.jpg)

-Joseph-

Bluez
09-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Looks awesome Ghost Recon has some of the best military character models i've seen! The Model is very clean and the textures are great cant wait to see more. I like the beauty render if i had one critic it be his head position, it looks like its turned to the right to much.
Its not that big of deal though you guys did a great job go go go!!:)

-Bluez

KaDDD
09-23-2004, 08:50 PM
very good modele/wire/topo ! yes !& i like your texture !
very realistic

leigh
09-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Wow lovely work! :D I'm a HUGE Ghost Recon fan :) The front of his pants look slightly strange, but it's probably just compression in your image :)

Good stuff! I'm looking forward to playing the game!

Boondock Saint
09-23-2004, 09:20 PM
excellent use of polys, you guys definitely look like you went above and beyond. i hope it looks at least halfway as decent in the game engines and you dont lose any detail.
i cant wait to play this game. my buddy brian (he made the gun) that you work with hooked me up with the link to the post. id just like to say that you guys are doing a sick job!
-ed

BlueMouse
09-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey there old friends.

This is awesome stuff. The characters have really come a long way since the first Ghost Recon (and those were really good). The character, the weapon, everything. Makes me wish I was still at Red Storm! Nice concept art too Jeff. Very nice.

Tim A.

Bri_Spencer
09-23-2004, 10:41 PM
We are extremely excited that you all like it. Thanks a ton for you kind words Ed and Bluemouse. I think Jeff and Joe are doing an amazing job with the characters and I hope they can post more in the future.

Michael_Kasper
09-24-2004, 12:32 AM
Absolutely fabulous. Love the game. Love the artwork. My one crit is about the weapon. Its colored like a piece of candy, why? Looks to flashy for an elite group of soldiers that sneak around. Just a thought.

DAREONER
09-24-2004, 12:52 AM
very good for a low facing, the texture is really great.the rifle makes me think of a HK mp5.

MisterE
09-24-2004, 03:56 AM
Hey piggyson! Very huge fan of the Clancy games (SOAF, GR, SC). Love(d) your GR tutorial website. What happened to it, BTW?

Onto the model: Very awesome combo of texturing and modeling. No crit's whatsoever. Do you have an in-game shot of the same character?

Anyway, I'm glad to see you posting here. Your website definitely helped me make mods for Sum of All Fears. Speaking of which, is Red Storm planning a spin-off or similar game to Sum of All Fears?

arona
09-24-2004, 08:58 AM
your work is great. these great works makes a game to be great.:thumbsup:

LePrEkAhN
09-24-2004, 02:21 PM
Great job guys. Modeling and texturing is top notch. I dig the beauty shot. This is getting me pretty excited about the game.

Piggyson
09-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the feedback =)

DAREONER/Michael_Kasper: The weapon is the M8 (Which is made by HK, same people that created the Mp5.) Soldiers in the field sometimes spray paint their weapons in order to break up the lines it creates. So you will often see soldiers with strangly painted weapons :)

rockymaru: My old webhosting started to fall apart so I took my whole site down. I found new hosting but haven't had time to transfer over the Ghost Recon tutorial site again. (Luckly a lot of people mirrored it :) Screenshots of the character in the game (with the final texturing shown above) should start showing up soon on ign/gamespy/gamespot.

Thanks again for all the comments

Texan
09-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Man i check out Gr.net yesterday and saw the high res render and come here today and get all the goodies :applause:

Can't wait now for the final product :D

easyco
09-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Awesome renders!

agmihred
09-27-2004, 02:13 PM
no comment:love: perfect :eek:

can you post maps

Rass
09-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Cool job! you great! :D

FourthNail
09-28-2004, 03:05 PM
Waiting patiently for this game. All GR games rock. I'm especially glad to see the XM8 incorporated in this one. Will all it's variants be used as well or just the carbine?

Z

MFTituS
09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
great model!
good texture and realistic good folds an his clothes - but to whom i say this, you know what you do :thumbsup:
only his weapon looks not so much like metal and a bit clean/boring.
some highlights on the edges, scratches and maybe here and there bursted enamel would be great.

im missing some individual stuff, that tells a story and give him more life. now he looks like one of many soldiers. but what has he done till now, how many wars has he fought, what is his weakness and so on.
something like a piece of a photo looking a bit out of his backpack from his family, a bullet hole in his helmet, a symbol he takes with him to give him hope in the war, something that he has made on his clothes, repaired something, patched a hole.....

HellBoy
09-29-2004, 12:47 PM
some eye blowing piece of work

How long do you think it would take to make that, I'm assuiming it was done on 3D Max

Tilstrom
10-02-2004, 06:01 AM
looks very cool indeed, well done.

Sars3D
10-02-2004, 08:22 AM
very good for a low facing, the texture is really great.the rifle makes me think of a HK mp5.
Actually MP5 doesnt look like that gun. That is an XM8. The new experimental M8 which will probably become the new standard riffle for the armed forces in USA if the testing continues to output the good results it is. It can change from a mid-range to long-range riffle to a sniper riffle. It has interchangable parts that allows this type of transformation. I was watching Mail Call on the history channel and Ermy went over this weapon ;) Great show, great gun.

Sars3D
10-02-2004, 09:29 AM
great model!
good texture and realistic good folds an his clothes - but to whom i say this, you know what you do :thumbsup:
only his weapon looks not so much like metal and a bit clean/boring.
some highlights on the edges, scratches and maybe here and there bursted enamel would be great.

im missing some individual stuff, that tells a story and give him more life. now he looks like one of many soldiers. but what has he done till now, how many wars has he fought, what is his weakness and so on.
something like a piece of a photo looking a bit out of his backpack from his family, a bullet hole in his helmet, a symbol he takes with him to give him hope in the war, something that he has made on his clothes, repaired something, patched a hole.....
The XM8 is made more out of plastic than metal. Anything that could be made out of hard polymer composite was made out of it. But certain internal components had to be made from metal.

FatJoe
10-02-2004, 02:01 PM
I love it :love:

Cant wait to play around with him in GR2
Great Job.

Cheers
Joe

HESKEY
10-03-2004, 08:14 AM
great work! :beer:

SanctumArt
10-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Very simple and realistic. I like it very much!

Logick
10-10-2004, 09:18 PM
very impressive, i was wanting to do a soldier model, but now i think i'll just buy gr2 :scream:
no crit here i think its a perfect job

mimawoai
10-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Awesome renders!

Anne7
10-12-2004, 02:25 AM
Models are really light, But I couldn't tell when I first looked at it! Excellent!

mackster
10-13-2004, 04:17 PM
This model is an excellent example why I am into game modelling!
BRAVO BRAVO!! :applause:

soapy
10-15-2004, 06:39 PM
Wow, really nice work. I guess thats why you guys get paid to do this stuff. :>)

RmachucaA
10-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Model is amazing, too bad its for a two bit arcade game instead of a genre leading tactical FPS.... well done red-storm, way to kill a franchise.

(3C)machine
10-15-2004, 10:11 PM
This is a thing of beauty!! Outstanding poly work.........

Stahlberg
10-16-2004, 12:34 AM
RmachucaA, that's your opinion, and even though it's a harsh and simplistic one, your entitled to it. Unfortunately it's OT here, and rude to the artist. Please be more careful next time.

And I agree with everyone, it is an outstanding model.

Agilers
10-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Man thats great...i love it....

Can't detect any thing wrong with it....keep it up

almaghool
10-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Woow , great work :thumbsup:

magilla
10-21-2004, 01:04 AM
very nice work - I notice a couple of things that are well hiddeen in these renders.

Forearms don't have an intermediate loop - how well does the muzzlegrip (left) forearm deform when its twisted all the way over to the weapon barrel?

Does he have a mouth and eyes that are animatable? Do you use bones or morphs for that?

What was the vert count on this model?
--magilla

UltRaNOL
10-22-2004, 02:35 AM
I'm really impress by the modeling and mapping. There is not "stunning" conceptual idea here, but the model is very "pro" (of course ^_^).
I wonder what is look like in motion...

etrosh
10-25-2004, 09:25 PM
great work but some technical questions (i am new in 3d game modeling and texturing so much onlooker):

* did you use normal map? (the cloth are very detailed - the texture seams go over the diffuse map)
* how many polys? (character and weapon)
* can you show the texture map?

thanks for the answers!

Nicola

jayezon
10-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Ahh yes, that's how you do it. Great job people! Very impressive.

zengliang
10-26-2004, 04:49 AM
your work is great. these great works makes a game to be great

Kadastrophic
11-04-2004, 01:13 AM
Very organized I like it.

PLATE
11-05-2004, 12:06 AM
It's a great job. Don't know why you made it but some battle damage on uniform (just dust will do) could be nice

AtomicDesign
11-09-2004, 10:38 AM
very good low poly work & nice textures.

best regards,
aTom

lhvio89
11-28-2004, 04:50 PM
great model!

Apollo13c
12-02-2004, 06:15 AM
:bounce: Greatwork!

shiela_G
12-18-2004, 06:49 AM
it's amazing to see different styles here. job well done.

DerPapa
01-10-2005, 10:55 PM
One of the best InGame models I've seen so far. You matched the sketch nearly 100%
I really would like to know some of the modelling/texturing process.
Especially I'm interested how you achieved the look of the cloth. I think doing convincing wrinkles by hand is really hard. Did you use photographs? Did you modell/simulate them and baked them? Did you do it really freehand?

share!!! :)

Impressed
Michael

sam4grafix
02-01-2005, 06:15 AM
Oh best model man.. gr8 work!!:)

Cheers
SAM

FIGHTINGKIRBYMAN
02-07-2005, 06:24 PM
That turned out really good. I cant wait till I learn how to create characters in my 3d animation class... I learn how this semester.

robtl
02-16-2005, 09:12 AM
god!what a good job

Petter
10-19-2005, 10:09 PM
I know this thread is a bit old, but I have been back to view this impressive character again and again, so I thought it would be about time to show my respect. Truly amazing work, both model and texture.

I would really love to see the UV arrangement and texture map if that is possible.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2005, 10:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.