PDA

View Full Version : Reimport displacement ZB2

Kanga
09-23-2004, 01:22 AM
Hoi!

Minor alterations to a mesh in Max and reimported it into ZB2 at base level (no sub history). Just in case applied guv tiles to it and imported the old displacement tiff using the alpha palette (made sure it was at 2048 res). I cant find an apply Disp Map though, if there is one.

How do you guys do this?

Thanx in advance
Kanga

meats
09-23-2004, 01:45 AM
Hi Kanga,

The "Apply DispMap" button becomes available only when there is an alpha other than "Alpha 00" (the pure white square) and the intensity slider in the displacement settings is set higher or lower than Zero.

Hope this helps

Kanga
09-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanx meats!

The button appeared just fine,..........
Now its hunting through all the material to try get it to work.

Thanx again
Kanga

Kanga
09-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Okay!

Altered model in max, half deleted mirrored and reimported into ZB2. Reapply guv tiles and try to reapply the 2048 res displacement tiff made and exported from ZB2. The mapping is messed up and I cant seem to get it back. I am lucky enough to be able to run 2 versions of ZB, one with script and the other with my model, you can see what is happening. The mesh is imported at base level so has no subD history, but doesnt seem to make much difference. Flipping changes orientation of tiles but no result.

http://www.art-werx.com/z-brush/mapping.jpg

Suggestions gratefully received
Kanga

Haider of Sweden
09-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi Kanga

The problem could be the UV mapping

You said that you half deleted and mirrored the object in max.
When you half delete an object, and then mirror it, the UV gets mirrored too.
But the original displacement is made for a UV that didnt look like your new one.

I think, even if you dont reapply the guv in zBrush (because that would definitivly change the old UV (at least the original half) so that it wouldnt look like the original one anymore) it doesnt work.

But let me ask you first: Did you change the amount of polygons after that you altered the mesh in Max?

Kanga
09-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi Kanga
The problem could be the UV mapping
But let me ask you first: Did you change the amount of polygons after that you altered the mesh in Max?
Yes at the moment the only problem is the mapping.

Somehow an extra edge had snuck into the model which resulted in poor mapping in an area by the corner of the mouth so I deleated that which would give me one less poly at the lowest level of sub in max.

I changed the size of the eye sockets making them smaller which is why I flip copied the face. I did this in max because I needed the eyeball model as referance. Thinking that the mapping would now be wrong I imported the model into ZB2 at the lowest sublevel without texture coordinates and redid the guv tiles to see if I could use the old displacement map and keep going with editing it in ZB.

Im not sure how flexible mapping is and what I am trying to do might not be possible.

Thanx for your reaction
Kanga

Haider of Sweden
09-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi again

You see, thats not how it works.
If you reapply a GUV, it makes a new UV coordinate system. That means, the old displacement image that you want to reapply cant work with the new one, since it was made for the old UV-structure.

I think I understand your problem, but you're working a kind of wrong.

Lets give it a new try:

You have the old modell, where you made a bunch of displacements to, inside zBrush.
Now, you take that modell back into 3dsMax and make some changes, and delete half of the modell, right (tell me, if I am on the wrong way).

What you should do now, is, trying to reimport that half modell into zBrush, and reapply the old displacement map.
It could work 99%, where the 1% is some bugs caused by the mesh-changes you made inside 3dsMax.

If we're still on the track so far, you should fix the bugs, and now you apply a new GUV, and reexport a new displacement map.
Inside max, import the modell, mirror it and reexport it to zbrush.

Load the displacement map and see if the displace works on the whole modell.

I didnt write any explanations anywhere, why you should do every step. I know that it's all in theory, because I cant be 100% sure, since I havent the original files.
You could upload: The original file + displacement + the modified half modell (not a whole)

Before I quit, do you know how UV's work? And Unwrap UV?
I may be totally wrong, but somehow I have a feeling that you are not aware of how UVs work exactly, am I right or wrong?

Kindly

Kanga
09-29-2004, 09:28 AM
You could upload: The original file + displacement + the modified half modell (not a whole)

Sure I would be pleased to upload the files wherever you would like them. First I will try your advice.

Before I quit, do you know how UV's work? And Unwrap UV?
I may be totally wrong, but somehow I have a feeling that you are not aware of how UVs work exactly, am I right or wrong?

Kindly
No you are not wrong. I havent done much detailed texture work in this area and ZB gives me a chance to change that. It does mean though that I am messing around trying to find a good work flow between two applications and your posts are helping a lot!

Thanx very much for your explaination
Kanga

Haider of Sweden
09-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Sure I would be pleased to upload the files wherever you would like them. First I will try your advice.
Alright, make a try first - hopefully the theory will help.
If not, just upload the files here to this thread.

I would like to have them as OBJ, since I havent Max installed on the computer I work on, byt only Maya.

Kind regards

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.