PDA

View Full Version : Creating Custom Palettes

adefinitiveact
09-22-2004, 11:56 PM
Lets say I want to take something metal, for example the statue of liberty. I want to create a palette from the colors of the image. Then I want to take something cloth and use that palette on it so it looks like it is the same material as the statue. How would I do this. If you have no idea what I am talking about but know an easy way to do this process, please tell me. Thank you.

Elysian
09-23-2004, 01:43 AM
Not possible. Cloth and metal are two different materials. Changing colors is not going to make one material look like the other. Other things that might play a role are diffusion, specular highlights, color of highlights, reflection, transparency, structure of surface, etc.

Symbiont2
09-23-2004, 07:48 AM
First thing that comes to mind is a gradient map. Create an adjustment layer for it, apply a mask to the area you want to change, and then fiddle with the colors and sliders till you get something you like. Tell me how it works out.

adefinitiveact
09-23-2004, 02:58 PM
I actually did an exclusion option in "apply image." This made the object look really similar to the other object I was matching. I filtered it with some difference clouds then used the clone tool at 50% opacity. It turned out pretty decent but not perfect. Once I finish I'll put it online and put a link in this thread.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.