PDA

View Full Version : thickness tool is available

vuedesprit
09-22-2004, 10:04 PM
i realized that a thichness like tool can b achieved with a workaround and may b saved as macro, but i want to know if we saved a tool as a macro, can we load it as a tool, and change
and edit it's contants. as the thickness example:
to achieve a thichness result:
- select a face, select connected (double click)
- copy
- flip
- paste
- deselect
- merge
- select the previous selection
- bevel (using group selection) inset = 0, shift = the amount of the thichness u want

and enjoy a thichness result.

now the question is, can these steps b a macro recorded, if yes, can we after load the macro, have the bevel handles in the viewport so , we decide the shift amount interactively
(sure after that all the previous steps r done)
if not, can this b achieved by a script, can anyone make it real plz.

ChristianFischer
09-22-2004, 10:15 PM
or simply use the extrude tool and activate the "thick" option :D

vuedesprit
09-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Chrischan, thanks for ur suggestion, but it's not the same really, i don't know if u know what is thickness.
it's to extrude all ur faces on their normal, preserving the group extrude, and not stretching the sides, like shift will do
if u apply my procedures , u'll know what i mean.
thanks for any support.

by the way what is the difference in extrude, btw shift and thick, i don't c any difference.

jangell
09-22-2004, 10:41 PM
now the question is, can these steps b a macro recorded, if yes, can we after load the macro, have the bevel handles in the viewport so , we decide the shift amount interactively
(sure after that all the previous steps r done)

Sure; just don't drop the tool in the macro, and the bevel tool's handles will be editable. Or simply drop the tool after running the macro if you don't want to do any tweaking.

-- Joe

ChristianFischer
09-22-2004, 10:55 PM
hmmm .. i always thought this was thickness!?

http://img68.exs.cx/img68/5381/Unbenannt-4.jpg

vuedesprit
09-22-2004, 11:26 PM
jangell u said that it's done by macro:

- select a face, select connected (double click)
- copy
- flip
- paste
- deselect
- merge

- select the previous selection (how can the macro know this step)

- bevel (using group selection) inset = 0, shift = the amount of the thichness u want

jangell
09-22-2004, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=vuedesprit]- select the previous selection (how can the macro know this step)
QUOTE]

Ah; missed that part. Yeah, that'll require a script.

Use the macro recorded to do all the steps up to that point, then mail me the macro (I just want to make sure I get the steps right). Then do the remaining steps as another macro and mail me that as well. I'll look at putting them together in a script that does what you want.

-- Joe

vuedesprit
09-22-2004, 11:50 PM
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/6690/thickness.jpg@ Chrischan

ChristianFischer
09-22-2004, 11:54 PM
ahh .. ic ... thanks for the clarification vuedesprit :)

pabloD
09-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Here ya go... This should do what you want.

Caution - this currently only thickens to 8cm. If you are working from modo's default unit primitives or you model is in the 1m range this thickness may be just what the doctor order. Otherwise you will probably want to edit poly.bevel shift value.

Also this script will merge all coincidental (overlapping) points in your model so if you have some intentionally in your model you probably don't want to use this macro.

http://www.podagraph.com/scripts/modo/poda_thicken.LXM

vuedesprit
09-23-2004, 01:17 AM
jangell anyway to make this tool alive as interactive tool???

annaleah
09-23-2004, 01:21 AM
Yes...like a "middle-mouse button(or whatever) drag" to adjust the thickness,is that what you mean?
That would be great.

vuedesprit
09-23-2004, 01:24 AM
yes, exactly, make it interactive, adjust the thickness by draging, not as a predefined thickness?

jangell
09-23-2004, 01:28 AM

Not directly, at least not by dragging in a 3D view. It is possible to create an edit field with an attached minislider using user values that you can tweak and watch the 3D view interactively update, however.

-- Joe

vuedesprit
09-23-2004, 02:07 AM
Not directly, at least not by dragging in a 3D view. It is possible to create an edit field with an attached minislider using user values that you can tweak and watch the 3D view interactively update, however.

-- Joe
interactive enough for me, so how to do it, is it simple , so u may post it?

jangell
09-23-2004, 02:15 AM
interactive enough for me, so how to do it, is it simple , so u may post it?

I'm working on it; the Star Wars DVDs are getting in the way...

-- Joe

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.