PDA

View Full Version : Planning on jumping in. Eight, or Nine?

Alan Daniels
09-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Hello there wonderful Painter users:

I've been thinking about getting Painter for a while, but now that v9 is coming around, I'm wondering if my window of opportunity is closing. :D Basically, the prices I've seen are about $250 for v8, and $430 for v9. Well, $250 I can swing, but $430 is too rich for my blood. So my question is, should I jump in *now* and get v8? Is it still worth buying? If you've used both, would you say that v8 is enough to do everything you'd reasonably want to do with Painter?

Some background: I've seen lots about v9's speed enhancements, but I already have a pretty fast machine, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm still a learning artist, and I'll be doing general-purpose painting, not technical illustrations or anything like that.

In advance, thanks for your help.

Per-Anders
09-22-2004, 10:39 PM
painter 8 is perfectly respectable and you can do everything with it (painter 9's only been out a day or something so it's not like anyone's found much that you can't do in 8 yet). so if it's a choice between getting 8 or getting nothing, then i'd say get 8. you can always upgrde at a later date.

rebo
09-22-2004, 11:10 PM
but I already have a pretty fast machine, so that shouldn't be an issue
Ive also got a fast machine and 8 runs like a dog with some brushes. Save up for 9 imo much faster.

Cometsoft
09-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Go for 9. Download the demo and you'll be good for the next 30 days. The retail 9 is supposed to be released on Oct. 20. The only caveat is they are usually pretty generous with their competitive upgrades. Like if you owned Photoshop you could get Painter for a discount. I think they tend to be more generous after a version has been out for a while. Don't know if they're offering any thing like that for 9 yet.

As for the speed, I've got a dual Opteron 248 and on 8 there is still some laggardly brush tracking.

Jinbrown
09-22-2004, 11:59 PM

I've been thinking about getting Painter for a while, but now that v9 is coming around, I'm wondering if my window of opportunity is closing. :D Basically, the prices I've seen are about $250 for v8, and $430 for v9. Well, $250 I can swing, but $430 is too rich for my blood. So my question is, should I jump in *now* and get v8? Is it still worth buying? If you've used both, would you say that v8 is enough to do everything you'd reasonably want to do with Painter?

Some background: I've seen lots about v9's speed enhancements, but I already have a pretty fast machine, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm still a learning artist, and I'll be doing general-purpose painting, not technical illustrations or anything like that.

Hi Alan,

You might want to hold off until Corel publishes the upgrade pricing qualifications. I just called Corel and they're going to get back to me with an answer since there's nothng on the Corel site yet.

If Corel continues the upgrade eligibility policy used with Painter 8, and you own Photoshop, Painter Classic (comes bundled with Wacom tablets) or any full Painter version from Painter 4 through Painter 8, you may be eligible for the upgrade price.

Since Painter IX is due to be released in October, the wait shouldn't be too long.

If you don't own a Wacom tablet, buy one. They make all the difference when painting and Wacom/Painter take full advantage of each other's capabilities, the team made in heaven.

Wacom's refurbished tablets are less expensive, come with all the software bundled with their new, more expensive tablets, and also come with a one year warranty. Check this page frequently as the list of refurbished tablets changes:

http://wacomdirect.wacom.com/wacomdirect/reftablet.asp?

Jinbrown
09-23-2004, 03:02 AM
Alan,

I just received an e-mail from Corel subject: Corel Deal Alert...."

Here's what it says about the Upgrade Eligibility for Painter IX :

Upgrade Eligibility

Customers who have purchased the following products* are eligible to purchase Corel Painter IX at the upgrade price: MetaCreations Painter 6, Corel Painter 6, Corel Painter 7, Corel Painter 8

*Original serial# required.

Alan Daniels
09-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the great advice, everybody! :thumbsup:

FWIW, I already own a Watcom tablet, but alas, it was a while back and I don't recall getting any starter version of Painter to go with it. I'll just wait for more details to come out on v9, and I'll leap into it once I find a good enough price. In the meantime, I just ordered Paint Shop Pro 9. It has a new "art media" layer type; nothing near what Painter can do, no doubt, but enough to keep me busy in the meantime. :)

Shogmaster
09-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the great advice, everybody! :thumbsup:

In the meantime, I just ordered Paint Shop Pro 9. It has a new "art media" layer type; nothing near what Painter can do, no doubt, but enough to keep me busy in the meantime. :)
OMG, the new art media layer for PSP9 is HEDIOUS! Slow as molasses, looks like crap, and just a bad bad idea on their part. You'll see what I mean.

f97ao
09-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Painter9 you should go for I would say. Many brushes are really much faster, and there are some useful features as well. The artistic oils don't seem completely finished, but are a good adition anyway.

/Andreas

Continuumx
09-25-2004, 08:40 PM

I was just looking around for Painter 9 upgrade and I did find the Painter 8 upgrade at ww.buy.com (http://www.buy.com) or $125 USD! Then I realized you are looking for the full version, sorry about that.

jud
10-16-2004, 05:28 PM
OMG, the new art media layer for PSP9 is HEDIOUS! Slow as molasses, looks like crap, and just a bad bad idea on their part. You'll see what I mean.
I have PSP 9 and the art media brush's are really slow and have very little settings,especially the oil brush it is like using a brush with ink,nothing like the oils in painter,I don't bother with them at all,seem's like they were added in as a gimick instead of a quality tool,but hopefully some of painter will rub off on PSP now that corel have their hands on it.

jud

zabdul
10-19-2004, 01:44 AM
Hi y'all,
Good timing to find this thread. I'm about to upgrade to a G5 tower and upgrade several of my programs. I'm working in Painter 7 right now, and it's dragging on my Tibook. Sounds like the hardest switch is between the Painter 7 and 8 interface. Here's my issue: I'm under a deadline. I've got to upgrade to meet my deadline because painter/my computer is running too slow. But would I be shooting myself in the foot by upgrading to 8 or 9? Is it so different that I'll lose days trying to learn to work with the new interface?

Also, I'm trying to find info somewhere on the web if Painter 9 has fixed Painter's icky habit of quitting and dumping files. I haven't found anything on 9 (sounds like 8 still did it), do y'all have info? Part of the reason my computer has slowed down is all these 100mg files I have to save duplicates of "just in case."

Opinions?
Thanks,
e

mcarp
10-19-2004, 02:39 PM
You don't mention what kind of computer you're using now, but unless you are extraordinarily low on HDD space, saving backup files should not be slowing down your computer.

That said, and looking ahead to your new G5, get Painter IX. The new interface will probably be less of a jolt going from 7 to 9 than from 7 to 8, because 9 brings back some of the brush adjustment tools that had been dropped in 8 in favor of the Brush Creator. In addition, if you have Photoshop plugins, IX will be able to use most of them (not Adobe's own plugins, but third-party plugins such as Flaming Pear). Version 8 can't load them, although they show up in the menu.

And get extra RAM. My G5 at work has branded RAM, and my home G5 has some commodity RAM that cost about 60 per cent as much, and I see no difference in performance. They both have 1.5 GB. I have read that the super-cheap commodity RAM is not very Mac-friendly, but I've used PNY and similar to no deleterious effect.

evilbob
10-19-2004, 11:24 PM
Also, I'm trying to find info somewhere on the web if Painter 9 has fixed Painter's icky habit of quitting and dumping files. I haven't found anything on 9 (sounds like 8 still did it), do y'all have info? Part of the reason my computer has slowed down is all these 100mg files I have to save duplicates of "just in case."Versions 6 and 7 pulled the 0-byte thing on my files pretty often, and I had to make backups so often that I got into the habit of keeping my working directory open in another window, with the file I was working on highlighted. Every 5-10 minutes I'd alt-tab, ctrl-c, and ctrl-v rather than having to save as and rename the file. I still compulsively make backups, so maybe it's just that I don't have any traumatic loss to stick out in my memory, but I don't remember Painter 8 ever doing the file-dump thing on me.

Painter 9 has crashed on me several times so far, but it's from loading too many RIF's into it at once apparently (although this is the first version of Painter I've seen do this).

Erik Heyninck
10-20-2004, 10:28 AM
I just got my P8 upgrade. Never had any other version before, but luckily, Photoshop allowed me to sidegrade. As MmeSadie wrote: I can upgrade to 9 later this year. Or next year. Acquiring this sidegrade and then upgrading to 9 is cheaper than buying a full version of 9.

A first quick impression tells me already thatcompared to Painter, PS7's brushes are complicated. Never liked them anyways. To get a good use of Smudge, you have to uncheck the spacing etc etc...

I'll start with the manual. (easier to learn than 3D for me. wink)

If it's slow, well, I usually work weeks, even months on a tradart piece, so...

Any good advice for me, forums, brushes,...???

Painter completes my toolbox. Now let the fun charge in!

gginther
10-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Does Anyone know if IX files can be opened by v8 (like Pshop v5 can open v7 files and just ignore unsupported layer effects and what-not)? The reason I ask is that if I wouldn't want to get upgraded to IX at work (PC) and not be able to open it in v8 (Mac) at home if I need to.

thanks,

Gray

Cometsoft
10-23-2004, 12:31 AM
I've opened IX files in 8 with no problems. No special saves either. Far as I can see there are no changes in the file format, maybe someone with more official knowledge knows otherwise.

Jinbrown
10-23-2004, 05:11 PM
Any good advice for me, forums, brushes,...???

Hi,

You'll find both a list of Painter Community Links (forums and other links) and two sections with custom brushes to download at PixelAlley. The URL's below my signature.

Painter 6 and earlier version brush libraries can be loaded into Painter IX by doing the following:

Use the Load Library command, hit the Import button, locate the .BRS brush library file and hit the Open button, wait while Painter IX converts the brush library, highlight the brush library name, and hit the Load button.

Painter 7 and Painter 8 brush libraries can be used in Painter IX by first placing them in the following location:

Corel > Corel Painter IX > Brushes

Then use the Load Library command, highlight the brush library name, and hit the Load button.

Have fun! :)

Jinbrown
10-23-2004, 05:35 PM
Does Anyone know if IX files can be opened by v8 (like Pshop v5 can open v7 files and just ignore unsupported layer effects and what-not)? The reason I ask is that if I wouldn't want to get upgraded to IX at work (PC) and not be able to open it in v8 (Mac) at home if I need to.

thanks,

Gray
Generally speaking, yes, files from Painter IX should be possible to open in earlier Painter versions.

Of course, anything new in Painter IX will not be available in earlier versions so that may affect how you can work with those files. For instance, possibly how the brushstrokes and Layers will look and how both will work.

A few examples would be:

Wet Digital Watercolor paint done in Painter IX either on the Canvas or on a Layer will result in a blank Canvas or Layer (unless other paint is present on the Canvas or Layer) when the file is opened in Painter 8 or earlier versions (tested in Painter 8, Painter 7, and Painter 6). This means that all Digital Watercolor done in Painter IX will need to be dried before saving the file and opening it in an earlier Painter version.

Layers with Composite Methods other than Default will cause the Collapse command to be greyed out. This means that any Layers you want to Collapse into a single Layer will need to be Grouped and Collapsed before the file is saved and opened in an earlier Painter version.

Water Colors painted in Painter IX on Water Color Layers won't work the same in Painter 6 and earlier versions as these versions use the old Water Color technology. If you open the file in Painter 6, for instance, you won't be able to paint on the Watercolor Layer and the Painter 6 Water Color brush variants will work quite differently, only on the Canvas level, on an invisible Wet Layer and these brush variants' brushstrokes will look quite different from Painter IX Watercolor brushstrokes.

There are other differences and sometimes there are workarounds, but you'd need to explain the scenario in detail so we could possibly help. Sometimes, as shown in the Painter IX/earlier version Water Colors example above, there won't be a solution other than working very differently.

If you're using fairly simple Layers and brush variants, I doubt you'd have any problems but it would be wise to ask before starting an important or large project. If you do ask, be sure to be very specific, listing all of the brush variants you plan to use, Layer types, and any other details that will describe the overall image.

Erik Heyninck
10-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks.
I'm still musing on making the jump to 9 now instead of later...
In a week or so, the upgrade will be available here in the shop I visit from time to time, and it looks like this time they're not more expensive than CorelUK or Holland.

Would you advise against buying a serial online for the downloaded demo?

zabdul
10-26-2004, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.
So, my new Painter 9 arrived two days ago, now if my G5 will just get here (tomorrow, pant pant). I'm currently on a TiBook, btw. Hubbie keeps it running smoothly, but it's still showing signs of age. Can't wait to fly with the new box.
I've still only heard one comment that 9 is more stable. I guess it's still too new to know. I'll keep saving multiple files for a while.
Happy creating,
e

f97ao
10-26-2004, 04:13 AM
After using the demo of Painter9 I would say that it's far better than the previous versions.

Even if the only new thing was the speed, this feature alone would be worth the upgrade.

Also generally many things just seem to be easier to use. It's pretty amazing that you can pick up multi color samples from the color mixer. And the artists oils are very impressive since they are several steps closer to the real thing. Also they are fast. I just pray that they fix some of the things in the demo. They don't look good if you make "narrow turns" with the brush, and also have the serious problem that you can't rotate the tip with the intous brush.

I'm not sure about the colors, if they existed in previous versions. I mostly used Painter6 before, didn't like Painter7 and Painter8 much. It's very useful that you can choose colors by their names like "cadmium red" etc.

/Andreas

Jinbrown
10-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Would you advise against buying a serial online for the downloaded demo?
Before you decide, read my new thread posted today about Painter IX - What's Included.....

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.