PDA

View Full Version : xsi delivery in uk...still waiting!

cresshead
09-22-2004, 09:17 PM
hi

i ordered xsi from the webstore on 27 august....still waiting for it to arrive..
is there many who are still waiting for the install discs, manual & dvd's in the uk?

hopefully i'll not need to wait too much longer...would like to get on and learn xsi as soon as
possible.

also if it doesn't appear soon who should i contact for a query on the delivery date?

info@cresshead.com

steve g

runejw
09-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Took around 20 days from ordering to receipt for me... (Ordered Aug 11, received Aug 30)

The link to your order status which you got when ordering from the Softimage store should tell you the status. Write the softimage store and ask them (store@softimage.com - took 1 day to get reply for me, so guess they are busy). If status is "SAP created" then it means your order is acknowledged and processed (but not shipped) - my order had that status for a long time before changing to shipped...

If you ordered through a local dealer, then badger them... :)

Cheers,
Rune

cresshead
09-22-2004, 11:12 PM
thanks..i bet there under the hammer sending out loads of boxes currently..i'll wait a few more days then start asking!

i've got a code for the evaluation version so i can use xsi till the book and dvd's arrive but
it's hard going without training materials comming from a 3ds max and ligtwave background
so far...

like err... just where do you set up the units of scale to build a model to a particular size?
the help file has no reference to units other than colour units..as in rgb or hsv...!

also how to rotate a camera or light thru the viewport...like in max or lightwave..

hey...going off topic sorry!

erebos
09-23-2004, 01:50 AM
i'm pretty sure that u can download the xsi documentation now from the softimage website, if you want the manual that bad.

in regards to ur second question, u can't create a light or camera from a viewport like in max with ctrl+c but you can change the viewport to display the light. For example, create a spotlight, now click on the name of the viewport and go to spotlights and select it. Now that viewport displays what the spotlight can see.

JDex
09-23-2004, 02:23 AM
You can replace a camera with a spotlight if you just work around the limitation.

Get your camera into place via the dolly/pan/track/orbit tools, unhide it in the viewport. Create a spotlight... snap the light to the camera, and the interest to the interest... and w/ child compensation active, the parent null to the parent null. To go the extra mile, constrain each of the Light elements to the corresponding Camera element.

Could be quickly scripted and incorporated into a toolbar I would think.

As for Units... it's all relative in XSI. SI Units are whatever you want them to be in your head. 1 SIU = 1 whatever you want. I think it would be nice to set a project unit setting (scene level too I guess), just so that collabrative projects are easier to cope with.

cresshead
09-23-2004, 09:44 AM
okay so there's no realworld rulers or scale, just generic "units" like what max defaults with..would get irritating with having to re size objects built from other people's "versions of size"...i'll probably make 1 unit a cm or m so scaling is based on 10's

re camera and lights...when looking thru the camera or light how can you position it or rotate it thru that viewport...just like max or lightwave...sorta hit "rotate" and drag the mouse in the viewport and NOT have to use the orthagonal views with the manipulators on the camera or light...

also...is there a way to "show" in the viewport the decay setting for light falloff?
...yeah i know real off topic!....still while i'm waiting for the manual!!!...may as well ask!

cheers all [:^)

steve g

bravmm
09-23-2004, 12:46 PM
1. 1 xsi unit = 10cm, according to the 98,1 value for dynamics ;)

2. Use the "s" sticky key, and use the mousebuttons to zoon, rotate, move. See bottom bar

3. Select a light, hit the "b" key, or tutn it on in the Light's PPG.

Cheers,

rob

cresshead
09-23-2004, 01:22 PM
thanks!

re 2. i was being a bit thick!...realised after i posted..been a long night in lightwave then playingin xsi...but still on the subject can you show lightcone or field of view for cameras or spot lights in the viewport...i'll have a look later in xsi [it's on another boot sector]

cheers for the info!

aecarlyle
09-23-2004, 02:33 PM
It took a couple of weeks for my package to arrive (came yesterday - whoooo!) but I did send them an e-mail about it last week and the reason they gave was the overwhelming response to the price cut. Fully understandable I thought. As soon as I had the UPS tracking number it took less than a week for it to arrive from Dublin - I stay in the Shetland Isles so it took a couple of days longer to get here due to couriers etc.

Very impressed with it so far and its great having a paper manual to look at :)

cresshead
09-23-2004, 08:07 PM
i just heard back from softimage via email and as you say they simply ran out of xsi's!
...they said they shoud have my copy sent out by early next week.

looks cool

later
steve g

matty429
09-23-2004, 09:00 PM
It took me 9 weeks to get foundation...From purchase to delivery...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.