PDA

View Full Version : Workflow problem.

Levitateme
09-22-2004, 07:50 PM
I have been having this question for several days now. I have done no modeling in modo yet because i am still going through all the docs. And i am hoping there is a work around for this.

In Maya for example if I am in face mode I can use the translate tool, select a face and move it, and I can select a bunch of faces and move them too. Same with rotate and scale.

Now so far in modo, if I want to do that: These are the steps I have to do; i am hoping someone who has had more time on this than I have can help me out.

Go to face mode.
2. Select the faces I want to move.
Press w for translate, and then move my faces.

Now when i am done moving the faces I want to model. I have to drop move tool, then select other faces I want to move and repeat all over again. Am I doing something wrong here? I love everything about modo, minus this. This is the one thing I hope i am doing wrong because it makes no sense to me.

kursad_pileksuz
09-22-2004, 07:53 PM
you can keep press your move shortcut then press shift together to keep selecting more, when you are done with just release the keys, you will be back in translate mode

tjnyc
09-22-2004, 07:55 PM
I feel your pain, the best alternative is to use the element move tool shortcut key "t". It is a sort of tweak like function. You can select any of the 3 elements, but it is sort of a shot in the dark as there isn't any highlighting to help you figure out if you will be grabbing the right element. Turn on the cage visibility or vertex visibility to help you along with selection.

Cheers,

kursad_pileksuz
09-22-2004, 08:01 PM
about this prehighlighting, i know seems like alot of people from wings3d or similar packages want this feature, i think it can be helpful, but i personally would like it if it is just optional instead of "must" :)

Levitateme
09-22-2004, 08:11 PM
If there was smart highlighting, I agree it would be neat if you could turn it on or off. I would personally just always have it on, makes sense to me. But I think if it was an option that would be nice too.

So if anyone has a work around for moving components, please let us know. Right now selecting some faces then moving, and then dropping the tool, then deselecting the faces to select more than getting the move tool again makes no sense to me. Itís like 3 extra steps for the simplest of all modeling functions.

mushroomgod
09-22-2004, 08:14 PM
So if anyone has a work around for moving components, please let us know. Right now selecting some faces then moving, and then dropping the tool, then deselecting the faces to select more than getting the move tool again makes no sense to me. Itís like 3 extra steps for the simplest of all modeling functions.that sounds realy bad...why would thay do that?

tjnyc
09-22-2004, 08:31 PM
As long as the smart highlighting was implemented properly, I think having it as an optional thing would be the right choice, as not everyone is on the same page when it comes to their workflow. Coming from a Mirai background, smart highlighting has alway been a great fluid workflow function for me, if Luxology implements it in a similiar fashion as Mirai/Wings, then that in itself will improve my workflow, as I wouldn't need to waste steps on just switching to different selection mode as frequently, something I rarely did in Mirai. It was always, make you selection and execute your action, currently, not just Modo, but in other modeling apps, it is choose your selection mode, make you selection and then execute your action. Taking that extra step out, saves time, streamlining the workflow and keeping your modeling more fluid, at least that is how I have always felt. I hope Luxology takes the time and plan how it needs to be incorporate, and not just add it in because of impatient user demandhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif. If it doesn't help streamline workflow it would be a waste of their energy to add it in, as I would rather see then work on tools that would improve workflow and not add in bunch of eye-candy.

Cheers,

CoolDuck_HRO
09-22-2004, 09:03 PM
I understand your pain, I had that too in XSI, but fortunately there you could hold down move key and let go (sticky mode), then it would be in faces mode again. I also like the Maya method better.

But that's just how Modo (and LW) is built.

I hope they can program it in such a way that you can make an exception with the move tool. That you can select components when in Move mode.

I personally don't like the drop tool style myself, why would it be needed? (space key)
But I can get used to it if needed.

kursad_pileksuz
09-22-2004, 09:14 PM
i think confusion comes from not coming from lightwave, it is nto as bad as you guys think, it is just different.i am sure first thing people from lightwave would be looking for how to change vertex, edge or polygon which is same as lightwave

we need to clear one confusion here. space tool is not "drop" tool. it is for going between different selection modes. currently " Q or q " is drop tool. but if you want you can use space key as drop tool. i think that would clear some confusion here

ambient-whisper
09-22-2004, 09:15 PM
if you worked on single elements, smart selection would let you even skip selecting anything. because whatever was highlighted under your cursor would be like a temporary/floating selection. so you could automatically execute tools.

i would keep this option off for ortho/wire views though. and mainly use it for when tweaking models, or when working in perspective. ( would be cool if the manipulators also highlighted when you hovered over them too. so when your cursor is between axes,( if you want to free move. you will know for sure that your cursor isnt touching any axes )

jangell
09-22-2004, 09:19 PM
I understand your pain, I had that too in XSI, but fortunately there you could hold down move key and let go (sticky mode), then it would be in faces mode again.

As mentioned in another thread, you can hold down the key for the active tool (in this case, 't') to temporarily drop it and go into selection mode. Then let go of the key and you're back to move mode.

This works the other way, too; hold down 't' to activate the move tool, move some stuff, then let go of 't' to drop the tool and go back to selecting things.

-- Joe

Turq
09-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Kursad is correct. You can just hold down the key that is bound to a tool and then perform then function that you need. When you are done you can release the key and the tool will automatically drop.

(For example) Moving a selected element:

Select the element you want to move.
Press and hold the key for the move tool.
Now move the face and release the key when you are done.

This is much faster..

Using it with the element move tool is especially quick since you dont have to select anything.

CoolDuck_HRO
09-22-2004, 09:35 PM
As mentioned in another thread, you can hold down the key for the active tool (in this case, 't') to temporarily drop it and go into selection mode. Then let go of the key and you're back to move mode.

This works the other way, too; hold down 't' to activate the move tool, move some stuff, then let go of 't' to drop the tool and go back to selecting things.

-- Joe
Very cool! This works the same way as XSI. Thanks for the tip!

You can also press the move tool again to go out of the move tool, do your selections, and move tool again.

ambient-whisper
09-22-2004, 09:39 PM
would be even faster if modo would snap a virtual selection automatically to the nearest vert/element for you:) so you could tweak ( press down mouse over anything that modo has preselected for you) , without being 100% precise. this would be awesome imo, especially with a tweak tool that only works for the mode that you are in.

or add an option to the tweak tool so if i press T+ lmb it selects all elements, but if i press something like T+right click it would select only the mode that im in at the moment.

( you have to remember, not everyone likes to have the interface infront of em. so this would mainly support people that like minimalistic interfaces. )

Levitateme
09-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks jangell. Your right, about the key in use, that is very fast indeed. Itís my fault though, because i am use to modeling in Maya/wings so I have to basically retrain my self for certain things. So that originally just seemed weird to me. Everything else so far in modo I have had no problems at all with. and I am glad that way jangell posted is available, cause I am sure in no time ill be saying "Maya way of doing it makes no sense" just have to get use to it. But even now itís very fast.

About smart highlighting, firstly I am glad that there is paint selections on the LMB, that is already a major plus. Putting up with manually clicking EVERY component in Maya was the worst. I think anyone who has worked in wings 3d or mirai from what I have been told, will tell you smart highlighting is invaluable. How your able to have your mouse near a component and it highlight it, then you just have to click and you have selected itlike ambient whisper said. You can go to any component mode by having nothing selected and then clicking on the component an your in that mode. Itís the same in modo already, just deselect RMB the component and your there,minus the type of falloff you get from your cursor when your just near a component. I think smart highlighting can only make modo that much better: that and a connect tool for edges. Anyone who got modo I think would agree that the creators really are listening to their users, so I think itís just a matter of time for smart highlighting, and I think if you could have it as an option on or off, that would be nice too, but I donít know why you wouldnít want it on.

ambient-whisper
09-22-2004, 11:41 PM
actually in wings i keep smart selections off. :) i just like the feature that turns nearby highlighted items into virtual selections. this way i can use any command and it will work without having to select something.

i was never talking about getting into a mode by clicking on a poly or edge or vert. :) but that could be an option in modo as well. i know many people who love it. or like me. im already a step ahead and already know what mode i want to be in for the next tool im going to use. the reason why i have it off is because ( like the element move in modo )when you let the application use all modes at the same time ( well whatever your cursor is over, then you need to be precice to select edges and verts. most of the time i remember selecting polys by mistake, because they are so large.

and i like to model and make as little mistakes as i can. ( i dont use undo that much actually )

Levitateme
09-23-2004, 02:26 AM
I typed that up in word, and must've misplaced some of my text martin, sorry.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.