PDA

View Full Version : painter 9 - some (possible) quirks

igor
09-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Hi,

OK... I tried P9 trial and it looks good... but there are few things that I stumbled upon... so I wonder if any of you guys has solution or suggestion.

1.) digital watercolor... it looks like it is different that Painter's 8.1 in more ways that corel says. Well, it looks like it creates some kind of wet layer and so if you try to use, say, FX glow or chalk grainy blender on it it doesn't do nothing... if you dry it (ctrl+shift+L) then all works....

but in P 8.1 you COULD use any other brush and method while digital watercolor is still wet. I used this all the time (to blend and add same shade of glazing) - so it was first thing I stumbled upon.

Maybe it is bug in this beta trial (I presume this is still beta) - I hope in P9 final release digital watercolor will have features on 8.1
Or is this a feature :(

I kinda remember that in P7 (or was it P 8.0) similar this happened - which was then fixed in P 8.1 (I may be wrong here)

2.) I also cannot seem to be able to adjust diffusion of digital watercolor after I did my stroke even though it says in help that it is possible.

If anybody can do above in P9 somehow - hey, let me know.

On postitive note - P9 is fast and Oils really rule.

Igor

Jinbrown
09-22-2004, 10:31 PM
1.) digital watercolor... it looks like it is different that Painter's 8.1 in more ways that corel says. Well, it looks like it creates some kind of wet layer and so if you try to use, say, FX glow or chalk grainy blender on it it doesn't do nothing... if you dry it (ctrl+shift+L) then all works....

but in P 8.1 you COULD use any other brush and method while digital watercolor is still wet. I used this all the time (to blend and add same shade of glazing) - so it was first thing I stumbled upon.

Maybe it is bug in this beta trial (I presume this is still beta) - I hope in P9 final release digital watercolor will have features on 8.1
Or is this a feature :(

I don't think this is a bug. It's similar to the way Painter 6 and earlier version Water Colors worked and part of what long time Painter users have asked for since Painter 7 was released with the new Water Color technology and Painter 8 with the new Digital Water Colors.

Dry variants can be used on the same Canvas or Layer where wet Digital Water Color paint exists without disturbing the DWC paint. It works in reverse as well. We can paint on the same Canvas or Layer using a DWC brush variant without disturbing existing dry paint on that Canvas or Layer.

Unlike Painter 6 and earlier versions, we can do this both at the Canvas level and on Layers.

If you want to use dry brush variants on DWC paint, and want to keep the DWC wet in case you want to work on it again, you could duplicate the DWC Layer, dry the DWC on that Layer, then work on it with dry brush variants.

Or better yet,.... you could wait to use dry brushes on the DWC painting until all of your DWC painting is completed, then dried.

2.) I also cannot seem to be able to adjust diffusion of digital watercolor after I did my stroke even though it says in help that it is possible.

I'm checking with Corel on your question #2.

igor
09-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Jin,

Thanks for you useful answers both here and on conceptart forum. It's pretty amazing to see you everywhere where Painter is :)

About digital waterclolor: I guess it is somewhat confusing to me that that particular category went back and forth several times inbetween different modalities of use.
Right now I got used to way P 8.1 is doing it - so I kinda miss that in P9.
I use DWC a lot - some variants of it since P5

you say: "Dry variants can be used on the same Canvas or Layer where wet Digital Water Color paint exists without disturbing the DWC paint"

That's OK - but what if I DO want to my brushes (not only DWC brushes, though) to influence DWC while wet? Okay I could dry it and so that's it. Easy fix alright. However I found that in P8.1 DWC are great for glazing, then blurring and blending and then extending some of that glazed surface further etc.
As you know good feature of DWC is that while paint is "wet" one can continue using same color and it will not buildup. I found that very cool for doing precise washes over large areas. For some reason I found that useful in doing really quick sketch painting of environments (which is what I do a lot).

In any event - it is not big change at all - I will change my work method (maybe it wasn't logical in the first place) and soon enough I will not notice it. But I just think I shouldn't be changing workstyle that I like because software feature changed.

Couldn't I get the same effect of "non-disturbed" DWC that is now P9 also in P8.1 if I just create new layer, do my DWC on that layer if I really don't want it to be changed by other brushes? Then drop it or whatever so it could be blanded. That way you have choice to create layer or not.

It just seems like this special status of 'wet layer' DWC is somewhat forced. Whole deal of Painter is that it should feel like real natural media. Well if I do some real watercolor over real chalk (messy i real world! - looks cool in painter) and start blending it they should react and blend in some way while wet. It worked acceptable for me in P8.1.

It obvoiusly can be done in P9 but I think in 8.1 is just more intuitive.

Thanks,
Igor

Jinbrown
09-24-2004, 04:28 AM
Igor,

Unfortunately.. or fortunately.. things in life change and things in Painter change.

What you've lost is the abiltiy to paint with dry brushes on wet Digital Watercolor paint and have the dry brushes affect the DWC paint.

You still have the ability to work with dry brushes on one Layer and DWC on another layer, keeping them "physically" separated.

You've gained the ability to save a RIFF file containing wet DWC paint, close the file, close Painter IX, then open it again for another session, open your RIFF file, and the DWC paint is still wet.

In addition to other improvements, and the fact that we can adjust our work habits, I think we're ahead.

If you don't find you're ahead, you can work with DWC in Painter 8 instead, at least as long as computer technology allows us to continue using an older version (I'm still using Painter 5, 6, 7, 8, and Painter Classic 1 and 2, all installed on the same year old computer.)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.