PDA

View Full Version : Modo Crashing

pumper
09-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Just got my copy of modo yesterdy... and obviously there is lots of love behind this tool... but for now i find it a huge waste of money.... MODO IS CRASHING.... thats insane i followed all luxology suggestions... disabled vertex arrays... turned off app controlled settings in driver... tested drivers from 42.51 - 66.xx all of them... still the same.... my sys cofiguration is P4 3.2 - 2gb ram - FX 5900 XT .... all other tools are running smoothly...

I dont want to give up on this beutifull piece of soft.... but relly need to know when this is gonna be fixed or if anybody konws something .. else that might help... please... help

disapinted maybe modo user :(

Griffon
09-22-2004, 05:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the devil is in the drivers. nVidia recongnizes that it is their bug and they are fixing it. I wish I could make them work faster...

tjnyc
09-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Griffon,

Is their a Nvidia driver for Quadro 4 980XL that you could recommend or a particular graphics card that works really well with modo, I get rather slow performance from Modo on my machine when I tested it out.

You can see it the detail from my other post.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=171767

Thanks,

Wireframes
09-22-2004, 05:33 PM
I hope Nvidia will do a driver for OpenGl cards like QUADRO -> a special MODO application parameter (that we have actually for other 3D applications like MAYA/LIGHTWAVE/XSI/MAX)http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

is there any partnership between Nvidia and Luxology to do this ???

I have also a QUADRO 980 XGL http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

pumper
09-22-2004, 05:41 PM
well anothere surpise :) have turned on my older machine athlon 2.2 ... 1GB ram... quadro 980 ... AND the same result things are even whorse.... instead of 10 minute crash... now 2 -3 minute crash all sttings are ok my copy i not damaged tested it on mi oledst computer with some old radeon in it... there it works fine.... i simply dont understad how final realese of some product .... cuold be not woring with nearly half of major graphics cards.... byt hte way i ested allllllll avilable drivwers around even... leaked ones...

I wanna CRY.....

kursad_pileksuz
09-22-2004, 05:48 PM
well can we say ati rules? :) i have an ati 9800pro, a mid card, i run modo beta (older than your release) main crashes happen during some internal operations that are mostly repeatable

pumper
09-22-2004, 05:53 PM
See the thing is i have to stick with Nvidia here in company we have some kind of deal with them.... and also.... and that is sad... i dont thing this makes good name for Luxology .... i was waiting to get this copy ... and now i have to explain my boss why i have spent that money on sonething that des not work :) anyway....

Dion Burgoyne
09-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Yes, sadly it is an NVidia drivers issue, we did a great deal of our internal testing on a go700 video card, and the driver that we're using on that is the 4.4.2.4 (5/23/2003) with the latest driver there is some instability that happens in the nvidia dll, you may want to try and move your driver back to the one that it came with, or the earliest driver your card supports, if you still have problems write an e-mail to cs@luxology.com and we'll work on a solution.

kursad_pileksuz
09-22-2004, 06:42 PM
i know they are working on it, also it is a bug mainly from nvidia as far as i understand.;
also when you are testing drivers, you need to get rid of everything about nvdia, so you need to use some sort of detonator cleaner or remover instead of just uninstalling. i am not saying that will solve it but may solve it
if i were you i would try these little softwares to remove nvida and do fresh fresh installs of drivers

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=167

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=603

pumper
09-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks for answer. So the bug is on NVIDIA side? Is Luxology working with NVIDIA on some solution... but anyway...? I have downgraded my drivers.... and I have used drivers form different manufacturer of GF now am running PNY drivers even dough my card is MSI for some reason its working fine now still some crashing but .... Its way better at least I can work... hopefully this problem and also the famous memory leak will be fixed. Soon... then I rally will recommend modo to all our modelers... sorry for all the upset posts but this all I very frustrating.... Anyway LOVE MODO!! And will love it even more when it will become more reliable

Griffon
09-22-2004, 09:38 PM
There is absolutly an nVidia bug, and they have confirmed it. They say they've found a fix, so we're currently waiting on them.

Phil Lawson
09-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Don't forget to disable "use vertex arrey" in prefs to stop it crashing for now. :)

Dion Burgoyne
09-22-2004, 10:10 PM
And there is a robust auto-save feature in the preferences...

tjnyc
09-22-2004, 11:36 PM
I also have been having constant crashes as well. I can reproduce the crash every single time I use Modo after several minutes. I turned off vertex array and things seem to be better. Looks like the problem is not just an issue with consumer cards. I am using Nvidia driver version 53.03. I will most likely revert to an older version and get back and report if things improve. This has been a sort of frustating experience the last 2 days with Modo, but I hope things will improve, because the app is starting to grow on me, but these issues are really bugging me, no pun intended.

Cheers,

Griffon
09-22-2004, 11:43 PM
I was running the latest drivers on a a Quaddro 750 with no issues. I'm now running it on an FX3000 with no issues. If you have steps that will reproduce a bug, let us know them.

ambient-whisper
09-22-2004, 11:50 PM
modo used to run slow for me, and unstable. ( vertex arrays off )
so as a test i enabled vertex arrays to see how more unstable the application would be and if there was indeed a speed up

by enabling vertex arrays i have been able to use modo for hours and its SOOO much faster now. before a 2000 poly model used to make modo drag. now i can import a low level scan and itll be fine and dandy.:)

may99
09-22-2004, 11:53 PM
i have tested it out on Quadro 980 XGL then FX 5900 XT and radeon all bad except radeon... a lot crashes...
now i i have downgraded to 42.51 driver and modo seems to like it.... anyway the radeon had no probems but quadro and Gforce ... were dead... now quadro... is running but Gforce not.. snece tere is no support for card in those old drivers.... hope nvidia will fix this also for their customer line of cards... not only for professional ones... espetially since for modeling i dont want buy anything more expensive than FX 5900 XT wich can pretty much handle all things i need ... so is there any info form Nvidia whan they are planing to realease new drivewrs?

tjnyc
09-22-2004, 11:56 PM
Eric,

I am using a quadro 4 980XL. I sent the model files I am testing to Dion. The crashes happen when I am modeling with large meshes, it doesn't seem to happen for any particular tool, just after several minutes of using Modo it just crashes. The oldest driver I found that match Dion's recommendation is 44.03, so I am going to try that to see if things improve.

Cheers,

pumper
09-23-2004, 12:21 AM
ok now had old G force 4600 Ti in drawer so i took it out and tested with old 42.51 driver works like charm !! finlay i can enjoy modo... no turned arrays no large meshes crash... simply flawless.... but anyway this is not solution...

is tere any news as when nvidia i planning their driver relase?

tjnyc
09-23-2004, 12:24 AM
I'm happy to report that reverting to 44.03 has worked out well. No crashes so far, and performance is better.

Cheers,

annaleah
09-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Probrably wont help you much but.....
I defrag and scan disk a lot...probrably more than I should but its something to think about.
Basic computer care can wreak havoc on some systems.Over heating mostly.
Install after a an entire computer defrag,scan disk,disk clean up is how I install.
Could be a ram issue also,dunno tho....

Nevermiond I see by the last few posts you may have things under control....you may want to run a driver cleaner to rid your hard disk of anything left over after uninstalling any drivers....I think there is a utility over a Guru.com (I think its called that can do this.
I downloaded a free one a few weeks ago but after cleanup I uninstalled it and I can remember its name but it worked great and it lets you see the actual files its removing....if I remember where I had gotten it I will post a link.

Dion Burgoyne
09-23-2004, 02:42 AM
I'm happy to report that reverting to 44.03 has worked out well. No crashes so far, and performance is better.
I felt a disturbance, as if a million bugs cried out, and were suddenly silenced...

*ducks*

Nando
09-23-2004, 05:47 AM
teeeeheeee :D

pumper
09-23-2004, 06:31 AM
in genral this is no good stuation... .but rally lets wait for nvidia now

Tim Deneau
09-23-2004, 08:06 AM
I'm constantly bombing whenever I try to customize the interface, mostly in form editor :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.