PDA

View Full Version : quick workflow questions:

spacemunky
09-22-2004, 03:46 PM
I am new to modo coming from Maya, I have a few simple questions i'm hoping someone with maybe some beta testing experience could address for me

1. Is there anyway to bring up the manipulator immediatly after an extrude to begin the extrude without clicking somewhere on the screen
2. Is there a magnet snapping similar to Maya's "make live" option for snapping points to a mesh
3. Is there a way to turn off back face selection when making selections in subobject modes
4. Is there a raycast selection tool similar to XSI (paint selection)
6. Is there anyway to to use the slice tool to draw points in the middle of a face and then connect them later by hand
7. Why does modo not switch modes for tools...example...if i select a face and hit bevel, or even hold shift and bevel...it just gives me some kind of weird face offset..when i really want a tradition edfeg bevel. (this is probably a dumb question but it still seems weird if even maya can do it)

Thanks in advance for the help

Dion Burgoyne
09-22-2004, 04:19 PM
1. Is there anyway to bring up the manipulator immediatly after an extrude to begin the extrude without clicking somewhere on the screen Yes, if you right click on the extrude tool inside of the "tool pipe" you can set it to auto-activate

2. Is there a magnet snapping similar to Maya's "make live" option for snapping points to a mesh There is "snap to element" which will snap it to verts if you'd like, however I've not used that function in maya so I'm not sure how similar it is

3. Is there a way to turn off back face selection when making selections in subobject modes
If you are working in the default mouse config, middle mouse button will lasso select through, right mouse will lasso ray cast style

4. Is there a raycast selection tool similar to XSI (paint selection) See #3

6. Is there anyway to to use the slice tool to draw points in the middle of a face and then connect them later by handNot yet, however you can stencil on geometry using a solid drill (object in background)

7. Why does modo not switch modes for tools...example...if i select a face and hit bevel, or even hold shift and bevel...it just gives me some kind of weird face offset..when i really want a tradition edfeg bevel. (this is probably a dumb question but it still seems weird if even maya can do it)If you want to select a face, and bevel the edges, the easiest way is to hold the "alt" key and notice that the "Vert" "Edge" and "Polygon" buttons have changed to "Convert" so you can convert your selection to the edges by simply clicking on it. modo assumes that whatever mode you are working in is how you want to bevel. Holding shift will actually allow you to reset and reuse bevel, so you can pull out a bevel, then hold shift and click, and a new bevel will start without having to interact with a menu.

Thanks in advance for the help
Our pleasure!

seasterling
09-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Dion:
Anyway to switch to Maya viewport navigation and retain the default mouse config for selecting?
Thanks.

spacemunky
09-22-2004, 05:10 PM
wow...that was a fast response. Thanks for the great answers and I am sure I will have some more questions for you as time progresses. I just want to take a sec and say that in my opinion this is the way graphics companies should work. Listening to their customers and taking the time to create apps that respond to the needs of the users. If more companies conducted business this way...all our jobs in the cg industry would be alot easier. Thanks again

durexlw
09-22-2004, 05:45 PM
The "make live" option from maya is called "Background Snap" in Modo. Setup is a breeze. You can find more information about it on page 222 of you pdf manual.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.