PDA

View Full Version : What renderer does MODO use? Whats nexus?

ages
09-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Im really looking forward to getting into MODO but i dont know much about how it renders models and what is nexus?

Para
09-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Modo is ONLY a modeler, which means you can't render with it. Nexus is Luxology's other application, due to come out some time next year which will be kinda the same as Layout in Lightwave 3D: The renderer and most likely some basic functions to create a scene. Animation package is still unknown, it's highly possible that there isn't one in the works at the moment at Luxology.

cyroz2000
09-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Afaik, Nexus is not a Lux "Lightwave's Layout"...
According to what Brad said, it seems to be the development tool...

Brad's interview on cgnetworks (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2409&page=1)

CGNetworks Product Review
More on modo – Interview with Luxology's Brad Peebler
Ali Tezel, 22 September 2004
Nexus is our internal development platform. There has been a lot of confusion about what Nexus really is. It is NOT a product. Nexus is a system we have created that allows us to have our entire development team working on a single code base. From that one code base (Nexus) we can automatically generate multiple platform versions as well as multiple applications. Nexus is one of many patent-pending technologies we have created at Luxology and is perhaps one of our greatest assets as it allows our development to move at breakneck speeds. Nexus has often been described as a 3D OS and this is pretty accurate. We have many 3D technologies developed inside of Nexus and by a process called “Application Baking” we can create applications for distribution. The first application created from Nexus is modo. Essentially modo was 'born' from within Nexus. It's really very cool actually.

lwbob
09-22-2004, 04:07 PM
I never thought it was a dev tool before. I thought it was the greater part which Modo was a little slice.

nuclearfessel
09-22-2004, 04:11 PM
I never thought it was a dev tool before. I thought it was the greater part which Modo was a little slice.
you thought right. Modo is built on Nexus :)

yog
09-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Animation package is still unknown, it's highly possible that there isn't one in the works at the moment at Luxology.
I wouldn't be so sure. I distinctly remember a short video of modo/nexus from a couple years ago (think it might have been a Mac Expo), that showed a Luxology product dispaying an animated figure with mocap applied in real time playback. I remember that it had a frame rate indicator bar, just like LW's custome object that does the same thing.

nuclearfessel
09-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Animation package is still unknown, it's highly possible that there isn't one in the works at the moment at Luxology.
hehehe just coz you haven't seen it doesn't mean it don't exist :)

i say that coz i have... At our user group last month, Brad did demo some of nexus' animation capabilities :)

Para
09-22-2004, 04:24 PM
...magic words being "at the moment"...
:p

Steve McRae
09-22-2004, 04:33 PM
websters - nexus:

2. "a connected group or series"

Etymology: Latin from nectere to bind

lwbob
09-22-2004, 04:39 PM
you thought right. Modo is built on Nexus :)
I mean that there is REALLY no Lightwave program. Together Modeler and Layout are considered lightwave. Yes I know there is a file called lightwav.exe. You see my point though.

c-g
09-22-2004, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. I distinctly remember a short video of modo/nexus from a couple years ago (think it might have been a Mac Expo), that showed a Luxology product dispaying an animated figure with mocap applied in real time playback. I remember that it had a frame rate indicator bar, just like LW's custome object that does the same thing. You mean this?

http://lux.cg-grafix.com/fps.gif

I had some other stuff running so I got a bad frame rate.

yog
09-22-2004, 04:49 PM
You mean this?

http://lux.cg-grafix.com/fps.gif

I had some other stuff running so I got a bad frame rate.
Don't you just hate a total tease ?:D

Dion Burgoyne
09-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Heh, the framerate counter is a command line option for modo.

And

Anything that you hear about "Nexus" that doesn't come from Brad, or someone else from Luxology is a guess...

currently the only product that Luxology has released is modo, everything else is still a work in progress :) however, remember that all of the viewports in modo are generic.

c-g
09-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Heh, the framerate counter is a command line option for modo.
:) Yeah. I don't have anything besides Modo there.

Zithen
09-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Since Modo is built from Nexus...that must mean Nexus is pretty solid and won't go through any major updates. So hopefully it won't be too long before we see the animation/render apps, considering that the same Modo tools should be able to work with the animation aspects. The only thing that disheartens me is that they haven't officially announced those apps and it took 1yr after Modo was officially announced to come to pass. :shrug:

But I really hope they come out sooner than later. Since my current animation apps don't have ngons or edge weighting...those features seem kinda moot at the moment.

yog
09-22-2004, 09:48 PM
:) Yeah. I don't have anything besides Modo there.
Why ever would you want a frame rate counter in a modeller only program ?
It sounds like something that my boss would request so he could see if I'm working fast enough :eek: :D

Steve McRae
09-22-2004, 09:51 PM
its just a nice way to see how your graphic card is performing as compared to an upgrade or to other systems

Nemoid
09-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Since Modo is built from Nexus...that must mean Nexus is pretty solid and won't go through any major updates. So hopefully it won't be too long before we see the animation/render apps, considering that the same Modo tools should be able to work with the animation aspects. The only thing that disheartens me is that they haven't officially announced those apps and it took 1yr after Modo was officially announced to come to pass. :shrug:

But I really hope they come out sooner than later. Since my current animation apps don't have ngons or edge weighting...those features seem kinda moot at the moment.
for now they are doing a great work with Modo, but from what we heard animation tools were in the works being them called Nexus or another name.

Maybe that was just speculation though. and u're right :

So far , Lux didn't announce any animation package on the works. They only showed modo, anda little of Nexus as an environment and rendering capabilities in it.

So, maybe in a first period a mixed pipeline will be the way to go. Let's say Modo /nexus for modelling and rendering, and something liek Maya / XSI or whatever to do your animation. Modo works fine with oter apps so no prob there. :scream:

Only, i am personally more interested in a more complete 3D app from Lux. :)

annaleah
09-23-2004, 01:47 PM
A direct link to Maya and Mental Ray would be great but saving as it does now I wont need anything else so Im glad they released it as a stand alone modeller.
Lightwave has a HUB so maybe they can get with Newtek on a direct access link to Lightwave.
I dont see how a render engine could be any better than the likes of Mental Ray or VRay these days but it could be surprising what Luxology has in the works.

Im happy so far with Modo and hey,if they do with the rendering like they have done with this modeler Modo then it wont be too bad.:)

Nemoid
09-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Well, from what we hear around they are doing a good job with the renderer as well. :scream: just browse some threads in this Modo forum for more infos.

But I agree. So far, Mental Ray(especially under XSI) and Vray are some of the best rendering engines around :)

c-g
09-23-2004, 05:35 PM
Renderman isn't too shabby either. :)

CAClark
09-24-2004, 12:37 AM
Surely for Modo to really shine, it needs an accompanying 'layout' tool that understands it's extra extensions to the LWO2 file format? Until then, modo seems a decent enough modeler, but not a real modeler beater (until plugin dev kicks in perhaps though).

Cheers!

gerardo
09-24-2004, 03:51 AM
If Nexus is an internal development platform then, what is this (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=171865) ? :eek:

Gerardo

jbo
09-24-2004, 04:10 AM
i'm a maya user, and i've always used the renderer along with a nice glossy shader to determine how good junctions in patch models are... sometimes, a 5 corner patch looks fine in the viewport, but obviously bad in a render. is there a way to determine how good a junction is without rendering? otherwise it seems like patch modeling would be very difficult in modo.

Nemoid
09-24-2004, 08:36 AM
If Nexus is an internal development platform then, what is this (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=171865) ? :eek:

Gerardo
We dunno... a "little" showing of an incoming rendering engine module, standalone, but working smoothless with Modo? :scream:

gerardo
09-24-2004, 09:36 AM
We dunno... a "little" showing of an incoming rendering engine module, standalone, but working smoothless with Modo? :scream:

Do you think that? is too perspicacious for me :D

Gerardo

Nemoid
09-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Yeah that! perspicacious is my second name. :D

Machadio Doidio
09-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Why to use modo? Its a standalone modeler. XSI foudation have modeling/rendering/animation tools and a good price.

Ps. My english is weak. I am from Brasil.

nuclearfessel
09-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Why to use modo? Its a standalone modeler. XSI foudation have modeling/rendering/animation tools and a good price.
While XSI has all that, its workflow/UI Customization are still lagging

Rigley
09-28-2004, 03:25 PM
the framerate counter is a command line option for modo.
What is the command line ?

aragorn
09-28-2004, 06:08 PM
i'm a maya user, and i've always used the renderer along with a nice glossy shader to determine how good junctions in patch models are... sometimes, a 5 corner patch looks fine in the viewport, but obviously bad in a render. is there a way to determine how good a junction is without rendering? otherwise it seems like patch modeling would be very difficult in modo. patch modeling as in NURBS modeling...
modo is strictly a poly/sub d modelor.

nuclearfessel
09-28-2004, 06:13 PM
patch modeling as in NURBS modeling...
modo is strictly a poly/sub d modelor.
there is patch modeling in modo but patches are limited to B spllines (not NURBS) and Bezier Curves

Dion Burgoyne
09-28-2004, 06:51 PM
As far as seeing the junctions go, modo does have several different shaders, including a real time reflection shader, which will give you a very good idea as to how the flow of your model is going. Personally, I use the gooch shader as it gives you the nice blue area that can flow along your contours

iphong
10-17-2004, 04:29 AM
So what is the Luxology Rendering Engine? When will it out?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.