PDA

View Full Version : How well will Modo run on my machine?

mosquito710
09-22-2004, 01:02 PM
I started to wonder if my computer will be able to run Modo efficiently.
I'm on a Dell Dimension 4100 with 512mb of RAM, a Pentium 3, 996 MHz, and Windows xp home sp1

Does anyone know how well it will do, will I notice a little lag, or will it to the point where it is impossible to do anything with modo?

Thanks

padawan171
09-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Hello mosquito,

You did not mention yr graphic card.
A decent or good 3d graphic card is critical to any 3d creating app,
otherwise if it's too slow at updating the 3d view, you'll just get frustrated very quickly, esp when you start creating more complex models and you use modo's subdiv mode.
I think you should have at least some model of geforce4/mx or ATI equivalent but i'm
guessing yr motherboard doesn't support agp8x. 4x shouldn't be too bad though.

Luxology's min requirements on their website mentions at least a P4 or Athlon or Mac G3.

IMHO, I think you should wait for the demo(maybe??) and meanwhile save yr money for a new pc,
then try out the demo on yr Dell and see how it feels and then decide from there whether to buy modo first or a new pc first.

With a new pc u'll be able to enjoy Doom3 or Half-Life 2, not to mention having fun in modo and maybe even creating some cool models to export to the XSI HalfLife2 demo app.
But I understand money doesn't fall from the sky.

Just don't expect yr Dell to be able to handle a couple of thousands of polygons in modo in subdiv mode esp if yr gfx card is too old. I must say though that modo is faster, on the same hardware, than other apps such as LW, but 3ds max i have no idea and XSI and Maya i haven't tested yet. I think u will get more than a little lag in modo, what kinda games can u run??

Hope this helps. Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.