PDA

View Full Version : uv mirroring in tangent space

nyalkaval_zazazva
09-22-2004, 01:30 PM
i tried to making normal map in tangent space, but if i move the light to the one of the side of mesh (ex. left) the right of the mesh lighted the same way

when i rendered normal map, the mirrored poligons's uvs had flipped, and had moved out from the 0-1 uv range

there wasnt any of uv overlapping

i tried the same rendering but the mirrored mesh's uvs was just moved +1 (it was out the 0-1 uv range)

the mesh was merged, and "mirror-center" vertexes merged to

i read a lot of tutorials but none of them explain what can i do with mirrored uvs in tangent space (ok only one was said: open photoshop, and blur the "connecting" (where the mirrored, and the mirror mesh connected) part of normal map

thanks your helps

Ablefish
09-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Ok, this is something that I've had limited experience with, but I was under the impression that any time you're using rendermap to bake lighting, or create normal maps or anything like that, you're best off to create a Unique UVs projection for your object. That way each poly will have it's own information and will line up with one another properly.

nyalkaval_zazazva
09-23-2004, 09:13 AM
what u say is logical, and it was my tip to, but if u look at doom3 textures (example) then u see that, they're using mirroring in their normal maps (only the half of the model has been baked in the texture)
somebody told me that, when the tangent normals renders, the program inlcudes information about the whole mesh, (so if u just see the half of the model calculated in the normalmap, doesnt means that, only the half of the model's tangent storaged in the normal map)

so i like to know how can i set my uv's before(!) the tangent space calculating

anyway thanks your comment

Ablefish
09-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Well, you could always cut your model in half, unwrap it (or use a unique uvset), rendermap the half and then do a symmetrize polygons. That would mirror the uvs for use with the rendermap image you created.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.