PDA

View Full Version : realtime shaders?

Cyberdigitus
09-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Hello, i have a question about modo's viewport shading. Modo is supposed to have vertex/pixel shader support. these are pretty importing things for game development, and with a new application build from the ground up i'd expect to see this implemented well.

Can you add custom shaders? how many of those come with modo?
does it support directx hlsl or/and opengl glsl?
Is there a normal map shader? a tool to compute them?

how does lighting work in modo? can you create extra lights?

Para
09-22-2004, 01:49 PM
I read somewhere on this forum that you can edit the basic shaders that come with modo (apparently it ships with couple of GLSL shaders) but I don't see how it could have ps/vs support since - once again, apparently - it's OpenGL based. One negative side in modo seems to be that it's only OGL based OGL isn't a very big thing in games anymore. For game developers D3D is everything.

Dion also said that you can add your custom light rigs to viewports by using a perl little scripting but it's not an official feature.

EDIT: Links ->
Brad gives the hint about editing shaders: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1589541#post1589541
Dion talks a few words about the light rigs: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1591190#post1591190

Dion Burgoyne
09-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Custom shaders are possible, they're actually .arp files in your EXTRA's directory, however making new ones could be difficult until the SDK comes out.

Modo currently has realtime

Texture shader
Gooch shader
Cel Shader
Reflection Shader

and btw, the command line that I wrote in the other post is simply a modo command, not a perl script, you can put that command on a hotkey or menu button etc...

Griffon
09-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Let me clarify Dion's post. The .arb shaders are in the resource directory. Feel free to tweak at will.

Cyberdigitus
09-27-2004, 10:51 AM
So it's mainly only tweaking the built-in shaders eh? I really hope to see this made more open.

Do you use OpenGL 2, and is there any chance to see directx support too?

Mylenium
09-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Concerning these shaders... There are test 1, 2 and 3 shaders and even though they are referenced in the respective config file, they are not accesible from within Modo. How can you make Modo see/ use them?

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.