PDA

View Full Version : Boolean suggestion

vuedesprit
09-22-2004, 12:04 PM
sorry i have to post a attached image, to show what i'm talking about, but didn't find any attachment, just http link, and i have no web site for me, can anyone help me in posting image plz.

vuedesprit
09-22-2004, 09:39 PM
bump
Joe i already sent u the image, can u plz post it.

c-g
09-22-2004, 10:24 PM
I was wondering why we couldn't attach images in here.

jangell
09-22-2004, 10:42 PM
bump
Joe i already sent u the image, can u plz post it.

Ah, the overzealous junk mail filter strikes again. Sorry for the delay.

Here it is:

http://www.tmproductions.com/LuxPublic/boolean.jpg

-- Joe

RuiFeliciano
09-22-2004, 11:03 PM
That's the basic idea of an operator (or modifier) stack. The problem with being so basic is that it would only work with boolean operations whereas a "real" operator stack would allow you to do any type of modification ex: make a curve and a polygon, extrude the polygons along the curve and after that make a gazillion operations more. Producer comes and says he wants another shape extruded...you're screwed! Not so with an operator stack, you just have to reshape the polygon and that's it...modify curve and polygon shape will follow, you can animate everything, etc...
The downside is that it can become slow after the introduction of many modifiers but you always have the option to freeze the modifier stack at any point either in all or partially.
I'd LOVE to get this functionality in Modo but somehow I doubt we'll see it anytime soon...
BTW, XSI does all this beatifully :)

vuedesprit
09-22-2004, 11:18 PM
sorry RuiFeliciano, but u didn't get the real idea, it's not a modifier stack dependent, it's even not a object opeartion, this boolean idea, is kind of rendering technique, u can c it in maya as native, in lw as plugin, in the landscaping tool (bryce) as native. so u just c the boolean result when u render ur object, in case u want to have a booleaned object, u have to freeze the layer, and that's all.
it's benefits:
-no need for stacks to modify
-editable at any time
-low level modeling
-cleaned boolean operation (coz triangulations and unwanted edges, r actually been calculated in the rendering process)
-animated boolean
-interactive boolean result

Nemoid
09-23-2004, 08:22 AM
This idea is good, as a theory. becomes interactive and gives great results. :)

My only doubt is :

what about texturing ? if i haven't real booleaned (subtracted or whatever) geometry resulting from the operation, to work from?

sorry if i miss the point.

Renderman_XSI
09-24-2004, 03:04 PM
This idea is good, as a theory. becomes interactive and gives great results. :)

My only doubt is :

what about texturing ? if i haven't real booleaned (subtracted or whatever) geometry resulting from the operation, to work from?

sorry if i miss the point.
I dont think its going to work. This technique only works well with procedural textures. Personally i have used them in Bryce 3D, but they have there limitations. But for now i think they should just focus on improving the Boolean CSG operation in Modo. I've tested the boolean on something simple, like a cube. and it would tesselate the mesh, something that the native booleans in XSI, 3DSMAX, does also. The booleans need to be improve, to no tesselation at least.

Nemoid
09-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Yeah that. there was something like this in my point too. I like more real boleans, but better than the ones showed in your image. It happens to be like that quite in Lw too, safe that there are also good boolean plugs u can find in Flay : something like Booldozer.p and more.

However, i bet that in a while , when some time has passed , good Modo scripts and plugs will find their place and enhance these sort of things.

The image u posted explained well the current probs. thanx. :)

Renderman_XSI
09-24-2004, 04:51 PM
Yeah that. there was something like this in my point too. I like more real boleans, but better than the ones showed in your image. It happens to be like that quite in Lw too, safe that there are also good boolean plugs u can find in Flay : something like Booldozer.p and more.

However, i bet that in a while , when some time has passed , good Modo scripts and plugs will find their place and enhance these sort of things.

The image u posted explained well the current probs. thanx. :) My personal thought is, that if a developer implement a tool and it isnt living up to exceptations of the user, they should improve/fix the tool and not be dependent on 3rd party/community plugins to do the job. Im not saying i wont use the plugins, im saying i dont want to see Luxology be dependent in that manner, neglecting this feature..than that feature..sooner or later they become totally dependent on plugins for features/innovations..i seen this with a few companies(wont mention any names),but thats something i dont want to see happen to Luxology. ;)

Just a concern i have, im sure they are smarter than that.

Anyone else getting this error(not sure if its even an error with the software, or me :)), edge extrusion with local axis turn on. check the pic.

vuedesprit
09-24-2004, 07:20 PM
hello NEmoid, thanks that u liked my plugin BOOLDOZER, even with BOOLDOZER, i still want a better boolean opeartion, i need to change it's behavior. For now, lw and modo use the same approach in boolean.
The best approach is power boolean for MAX, or maya rendering boolean, or the idea that i posted b4 (to give each layer a physical rendering property), and i still think that it's a good idea.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.