PDA

View Full Version : Constraining to a poly meshs' surface?

theboykidney
09-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi,

Im trying to constrain an object to a polymesh, but the constrain tool only seems to accomodate nurbs.

is there a way around this?

Cheers,

TBK

Kevin Albers
10-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Bump.

I also want to be able to do this. It would be very usefull for high-poly modelling. Any direct way to do this, or some workaround? It seems like it should be possible, maybe by making temporary nurbs surfaces that follow the polymesh object's topology?

EdHarriss
10-05-2004, 06:31 PM
- You can constrain an any object (even polygon objects) to another by selecting the object and choosing: constrain>position.

smaug
10-05-2004, 06:40 PM
but what if i want to constrin an object to another objects surface lie a boat floating on the water?

zen
10-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Does this object have to move along the poly surface?

if yes, id make a non-rendering nurbs proxy

if no, just use poly surface snapping

wmendez
10-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Create a cluster then use Constrain >Object to cluster

Kevin Albers
10-05-2004, 07:29 PM
It would need to be able to be moved around on the surface while positioning the object, but not animated. An example would be positioning a bolt head/rivet on the surface of some modelled armor, and being able to slide the bolt head around, with it matching orientation of the polymesh's surface normals like a constrain to surface does.

Perhaps making a temporary nurbs proxy is best. Constraining to a cluster doesn't seem to work correctly for me yet...but I'm new to XSI still so it may be user error. :)

theboykidney
10-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Ed: Sorry, I meant constrina to the surface, as the title of the thread says, I forgot to mention in the thread... I believe we'll be seeing you at Animex again!

wmendez: Yep, I tried that, but it needs to be animated on teh surface, so I think zen's solution is the only way, using a hidden nurbs surface

Cheers guys

wmendez
10-05-2004, 08:43 PM
How about Deform >Shrinkwrap?

theboykidney
10-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Ill investigate that in a while, Im deep in something else at the moment!

EdHarriss
10-07-2004, 01:27 PM
- Now I understand what you want.
- A combination of one Shrinkwraped object and one object Constrained to it might work.

- Hope to see you at Animex. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.