PDA

View Full Version : nexus screenshot

amsams
09-22-2004, 11:40 AM
the next hype : nexus , screenshot

http://www.macgeneration.com/mgnews/categories/actualite/upload/ae2004keynote/image018.jpg

annaleah
09-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Me is drooling in anticipation...........
Already impressed with the modeller also.

juanjgon
09-22-2004, 12:05 PM
This are good news ... i hope we can test it soon ... :thumbsup:

JacquesD
09-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Really looking forward to trying this out... I'm just wondering what about animation tools... anybody heard anything!?!

Cheers,

The ripper.

Nemoid
09-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Maybe these infos are a bit top secret for now ? :D

CB_3D
09-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Maybe these infos are a bit top secret for now ? :D
right, thatīs why itīs shown on all expos:scream:

Para
09-22-2004, 12:42 PM

Showing a window rendering a sea of hippos doesn't have anything "secret" in it :)

Beamtracer
09-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Nexus is going to be extraordinary. However, my own prediction (without any authority) is that it will be mid-2005 before it hits the market. I'd be overjoyed if I was wrong and it came out earlier. We'll see what happens, but software always takes longer than expected.

JacquesD
09-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Maybe that doesn't make sense but as Modo is quite open for developers... what would be cool would be to have some guys like Steve Worley implementing an FPrime version for Nexus.

Cheers,

The ripper.

Cyberdigitus
09-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Does anyone has the video of the apple expo? the stream on their site doesn't seem to work...

dotTom
09-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Nexus is going to be extraordinary. However, my own prediction (without any authority) is that it will be mid-2005 before it hits the market. I'd be overjoyed if I was wrong and it came out earlier. We'll see what happens, but software always takes longer than expected.
Can you quantify that a bit. What is "extraordinary" about Nexus. I've bought modo, it's really nice and I'm already using it in conjunction with Maya, but why should I care about Nexus?

Is there any sign that we shouldn't apply a "modo-slippage" factor to any published Nexus release date ;-) I'm presuming that Nexus was to some degree being worked on in parallel to modo.

mosquito710
09-22-2004, 01:48 PM
at the apple expo in paris, they rendered a 1.18 BILLION polygon scene with radiosity in 37 SECONDS.

thats what is extraordinary about it.

Wireframes
09-22-2004, 05:52 PM
at the apple expo in paris, they rendered a 1.18 BILLION polygon scene with radiosity in 37 SECONDS.
I was at the Apple Expo 2004 and I don't see that point http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

dotTom
09-22-2004, 06:29 PM

thats what is extraordinary about it.
Now hold on, is that 1.18 billion polygons with unique (non instanced objects in the scene)? It's possible to construct scenes with very large poly counts most of which get discarded through back face culling and object instancing (poly brushes). I'd be very interested to know more about the nature of the mesh they where using for this demo.

dotTom
09-22-2004, 06:37 PM
I don't mean any disrespect to Lux, it's just the figures you quote are just tweaking my "unbelievable" meter. What (Apple) hardware was it running on? I'm using a dual 3.6 Xeon, can I expect similar perf?

Nemoid
09-22-2004, 07:18 PM
LOOOOL ! . BTW showing "only" the - astonishing- rendering doesn't unveil important things like animation tools , rigging tools, dynamics.... :D

Dion Burgoyne
09-22-2004, 07:32 PM
I don't mean any disrespect to Lux, it's just the figures you quote are just tweaking my "unbelievable" meter. What (Apple) hardware was it running on? I'm using a dual 3.6 Xeon, can I expect similar perf?
Mac Dual 2.5

AmbiDextrose
09-22-2004, 07:35 PM
I just read Sheep's interview with Brad (news forum) and it said that Nexus is nothing more than the development framework for Modo (and probably other Lux apps down the line). It is NOT the rendering/animation component that everyone seems to think it is. In this case, you already have Nexus INSIDE Modo.

Kvaalen
09-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Maybe that doesn't make sense but as Modo is quite open for developers... what would be cool would be to have some guys like Steve Worley implementing an FPrime version for Nexus.

Cheers,

The ripper.I really don't think there will be a need for FPrime! :)

Aegis Prime
09-22-2004, 10:35 PM
In the Apple expo Brad mentioned that nexus (or whatever) was radiosity rendering 1.18 billion polygons using instanced versions of the hippo object - not quite as earth-shattering but still very, very impressive - I'm looking forward to trying out nexus (or whatever) :)

Dion Burgoyne
09-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Actually, it's real geometry, accepting, and casting shadows on everything around it... It is exactly what it appears to be...

But, we're still talking about technology that isn't going to be released for quite some time...

Beamtracer
09-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I very much look forward to the Luxology renderer. Some are calling it Nexus... maybe its final release name will be different.

Luxology once hinted that they were hoping to release the renderer in Q1, 2005. Because software projects always run late, I'd take that to mean it'll be released sometime after Q1, 2005 (just speculation). Looking at other companies, 3D renderers generally take about 3 years to develop from scratch.

I have a lot of faith in the two founding technology gurus at Luxology... Alan Hastings and Stuart Ferguson. Their team is a who's who of 3D luminaries.

From demonstrations, we know that Luxology's renderer is fast. Not only that, it's fast on both Mac OS X and Windows. Some other 3D companies haven't bothered to optimize their Mac versions, which are often ports from older Mac OS9 versions.

From the timeframe that Lux's renderer will be released, I think the Mac OS X version should go straight to 64-bit on the initial release (for Apple's 64-bit "Tiger" OS). Same for the Windows version, provided MS can get a 64-bit OS to market in that time.

c-g
09-22-2004, 11:46 PM
What I want to see is that rendered without radiosity.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.