SheepFactory
09-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Leonard interviewed Softimage on the new foundation pricing:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2408&page=

mharrison
09-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Leonard interviewed Softimage on the new foundation pricing:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2408&page=

Great article! I really believe in Softimage's vision. And I'm glad they are a Canadian company. I think the "competition's" 3-Desperation comment is more 3-Desperation on their part. Sour grapes I guess.

Atyss
09-22-2004, 07:21 PM
no features taken out

ah come on..... I guess we could start a debate if Essential and Advanced have extra features, or if Foundation and Essential have less features.....

SheepFactory
09-22-2004, 07:54 PM
what are you talking about?

Ablefish
09-22-2004, 09:10 PM
I think he's talking about the bold faced intro paragraph, which is a little inaccurate ... "Is not crippled in any way. It has no watermarks on renders, no features taken out, and no catches." I'm not sure if this was in comparison to the education version or what, but it is a little misleading - there are features present in essential which aren't in foundation. And while I wouldn't say that it's crippled by any stretch of the imagination - there are limits to what you can do with reference models, rigs, and a few of the 4.0 modeling tools.

SpeccySteve
09-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Slightly OT, but on the subject of reviews / interviews, the Computer Graphics World review of Foundation linked on XSI base states..

The three packages sport incrementally more features, with Foundation having enough power to tackle most basic design and game animation work. XSI Essentials adds subdivision surfaces and advanced character animation, as well as soft- and rigid-body dynamicshttp://cgw.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&Subsection=Display&ARTICLE_ID=210996

Am I misunderstanding the sentence or are they saying that Foundation doesn't have subd's?

Come to think of it, doesn't it have softbodies as well?

SheepFactory
09-22-2004, 09:45 PM
of course it has sub-d's and softbodies.

SpeccySteve
09-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I know that sheep, I was implying that they might want a proofreader over there.

AmbiDextrose
09-22-2004, 09:59 PM
I think they mane 'polygon reduction' instead of 'subdivision surfaces'.

DKnight
09-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I think they mane 'polygon reduction' instead of 'subdivision surfaces'.

... a too huge difference to be a mistake - don`t you think ? is the author maybe working for discreet ?
:wip:

optical op
09-25-2004, 03:20 PM
Lets clear this up: the main things missing are:

Hard body dynamics

Syflex cloth (still get XSI cloth)

Hair/Fur (although there is a 2D output fur shader)

No FX Tree Advanced Only(inbuilt compositor) - dont know how good it is, perhaps someone who has Advanced can comment

No Texture Layer Editor - like using layers in Photoshop to blend material

No Smooth and Relax

No Poly Reduction - like Muli-res if you come from 3ds Max

Thats pretty much it.

Ask yourself, can I live without the above. In most cases the answer will be yes, unless you are a highend studio or user.

Foundation is really aimed at the freelancer, or studios that only need the full feature set in a few seats.

Thats how I would sum up the interview, along with other info. I have looked at

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.