PDA

View Full Version : The basic shortcuts in soft image...

OptimusDinkus
09-22-2004, 03:59 AM
Coming from maya, Im going nuts trying to figure out this UI. how do you move the freaking camera!!!>_<

FunBucket
09-22-2004, 04:34 AM
Well, to move the camera... instead of using alt and then the different mouse buttons, it's "s" and the different mouse buttons. When doing this, keep in mind the the left and right mouse functions are switched from something like maya. :)

Shinova
09-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Like the above, s is the camera control.

s + LMB = pan
s + MMB = zoom
s + RMB = rotate

Moving on:

Spacebar = object selection mode (selecting individual whole objects)

t = Select vertices
y = Select polygons/faces (I think)
u = raycast select polygons (a more useful way of selecting faces, imo)

q = draw render region. Draw box over scene and instant preview render. Change values to selected objects and watch the render region update automaticall. Makes fine-tuning your objects and scene REALLY great and easy.

ctrl+shift+a = Deselect all

Basic Transform controls:

v = Translate/Move
c = Rotate
x = Scale

Pressing any of the above with the LMB transforms slowly. MMB, faster, and RMB fastest. Select two axes from the selection panel on the right to transform on two axes, or enter numerical values for numerical transformations.

There is a way to make it so that you can actually select on the transform indicators themselves and drag transform like you do in Maya and Max, but I personally recommend getting used to the default XSI way of transforming. It's actually better cause you can move/rotate/scale stuff even if the indicators are off-screen, plus you don't have to move your mouse cursor from where it was previously, just press x, c, or v and a mouse button and drag.

Double clicking while transforming on one axis will auto-select all three axes. You can scale uniformly in this mode. For rotate, the LMB rotates the X axis, MMB the Y axis, and RMB the Z-axis, IIRC. For the translate mode, same thing. LMB = X, MMB = Y, RMB = Z. This is useful if you have to move some thing over to somewhere just really quickly. I think there's an even quicker way to do this, but I personally don't know that method.

There's an L, M, R displays on the bottom of the UI. Those tell you which mouse button does what in your current mode, whatever it'd be.

That's all I can recall at the moment. You have the XSI documentation, right? It's really good, and should give you a through overview of the program.

EDIT1:

Alt+RMB when editing an object, face, edge or edges, etc = Opens up a context menu where you can edit the object as you like.

Example: Select a face, press Alt+RMB to open menu. Select Extrude face along Axis and get an extrude.

Splin
09-23-2004, 01:01 PM
thanks Shinova, went straight to the print :thumbsup:
There are couple of guides what should help with the switch but all of them are missing the most basic stuff.

DimitrisLiatsos
09-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Coming from maya, Im going nuts trying to figure out this UI. how do you move the freaking camera!!!>_<
Hello ...maybe u want to check on this

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=162800&page=4

I have remmaped XSI keyboard to have the basic key fuctions of Maya.

Hope i helped . :twisted: :bounce:

-wT-
09-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Well, to move the camera... instead of using alt and then the different mouse buttons, it's "s" and the different mouse buttons. When doing this, keep in mind the the left and right mouse functions are switched from something like maya. :)... which can be changed by going to FIle -> Preferences -> Tools -> Camera -> Nav/Dolly and checking the "Use Alternate Mouse Mapping" tickbox :thumbsup:

titaniumdave
09-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Maya to XSI, I'm sure this will help. :)

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v35/media/maya2xsi_quickstart.pdf

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.