PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS to illustrator and EPS, Help!!!

phgroove
09-22-2004, 04:48 AM
Hey I'm having troubles importing artworks made in photoshop to illustrator and saved as eps.

Does anyone knows any good reading about it

Or should I be more specific?

Well I have an artwork for a client, He asked at first for a tif, now change is mind and needs an eps compatible with illustrator 8 on a mac, since I've done everything in photoshop cs under win2000 I'm kind lost. I know photoshop can save as eps but I couldn't find the options the client requests such as compatibility with illustrator 8.0, preview 8-bit macintosh compatible.
So I was trying to redo the minimum in illustrator, maybe just some outlined text so I don't have to start almost from scratch but I can't get it to work as I thougth! :sad:

Also, is out there anyone with a mac and illustrator 8 that is gonna be so kind to be my guinea pig to test my eps files, once I'm able to save them!!!???

One day I'll get a mac, :curious:

Thanks a bunch

PhGroove

_
_

Totoro
09-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Have you searched in the help for EPS?

"To save a file in Photoshop EPS format:

Choose File > Save As and choose Photoshop EPS from the Format menu.
In the EPS Options dialog box, select the options you want, and click OK:

Preview

Creates a low-resolution image to view in the destination application. Choose TIFF to share an EPS file between Windows and Mac OS systems. An 8-bit preview delivers better display quality but larger file size than a 1-bit preview."
So I think what the client means by preview 8-bit macintosh compatible, is that you should select TIFF (8bits/pixels) after you've chosen save file as EPS.

Hope this will help you out.

phgroove
09-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks for your replay, I did what you suggested and try to open the saved eps on another pc with illustrator 8 and the result was a greyscale very very poor qualitity image, I think illu8 opened the tiff preview.
I saved the file using different setting and in illu8 came out with a worning instead of the image saying "ASCII85 encoded image needs PostScript Level 2"

I'm stuck, I have one day left. :banghead:

PhGroove

_
_

TheNeverman
09-22-2004, 09:35 PM
If by .eps he's meaning a 'vector' file - then the image will have to be redone in Illustrator or a comparable program...

If your outputting a .eps from Photoshop and placing that in Illustrator - then you will see a low-rez 'preview' of the image - not the actual image itself. It will print fine however...
(I think there's an option when your saving an .eps in photoshop to include no preview, grayscale, or 8-bit)

n8

phgroove
09-23-2004, 04:10 AM
The problem is that the image in question is an ad, so contains both bitmap and vector.
They want the file in eps with the bitmap part in its own layer and the vector part as outlined text in another layer. I'm redoing everything in illustrator 8 and it's driving me crazy, I start hating thos anchor point I can't select them, couldn't make them a little bigger??? Holy...
It's so frustrating...I did the vector part but the bitmap (hi rez photos) that i'm placing in the workspace look like low rez and so small.

Stress stress stress

PhGroove

_
_

halo
09-23-2004, 08:58 AM
use PDF instead of EPS.

phgroove
09-23-2004, 09:29 PM
I wish I could halo, but I have to do what they say, and they said eps! :-/

halo
09-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Tiff 8 bit is the only option then...why its dropping to greyscale i dont know...but try ascii instead of ascii85

Finster
09-27-2004, 10:15 PM
If your working with paths in Photoshop, you can export them to an Illustrator file, save the rest of the raster art as an EPS, and them open the exported paths in Illustrator and place your eps (send to back). I believe your exported paths will have crop marks in it for alignement. You might have to apply a color to your paths as well.

If you have applied Photoshop effect to type, it's a little trickier. You can reset the type and apply the same/similar effects in Illustrator, but the printer will have some of the same difficulties as if you had left in Photoshop. I usually set up my drop shadows (or other effects) in Photoshop, but retypeset clean copy on top of the eps in Illustrator.

Your placed EPS in photoshop will be low-res, but the preview shouldn't be too bad. I don't understand what you mean by "small".

Keep in mind, I'm on a Mac, your mileage may vary.

phgroove
09-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Finster I don't understand what you mean by "small".
I mean, in photoshop the image is about 2500x1900 and when opened in illustrator shrinks to 640x480!!!

Thanks for your tips by the way

PhGroove

-
-

rickmann
09-30-2004, 07:31 AM
hey phgroove, I really didn't read through all the post on your thread but I have some really important questions to ask....

1. Is this going to be used for highend printing?

2. If yes how will they be printing it? By that I mean on a highend press or a cheap printer?

3. If you answered yes to a high end press, then I would go back and ask them why they need a eps.

I ask this because if you created any images in Photoshop, it would be useless to import them into Illustrator or any other vector program for print. You should let them know that if they are printing this on a highend press such as a heidelburg, you saving this as a eps will only slow them down.

I say this because the company I work for now was having all there clients send there artwork as a eps format, well thats great if it was created entirly in Illustrator, but when the client placed a image in that eps it took the press an extra 20 minutes for each color to render before it actually made its way to the press.

But first the error messages are common but go away when they hit the press and second, on a pc saving as a eps you should be using tiff (8 bits), Binary, Include Halftone screen, Include Vector Data (for any type), and Image Interpolation. The 8 format should have no problem, but you should remind the client that they up to 11 (CS) in illustrator, and maybe it may be a problem on there end!!

Thanks
Rick

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.