PDA

View Full Version : Some general questions about Modo

CB_3D
09-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Hi. First of all, i come from LW and donīt have Modo...yet. Probably iīll wait for Nexus and decide then. Still, there are some questions i have, call it curiosity.

1. How customizable is the interface really? Is it possible to edit the commands in the pie menus and, say, make submenus (command groups)? In LW i have packed everyththing i need into one pulldown with submenus at the left bottom, which is a very tidy and accessible style to work for me.

2. Can the rounded boxes around the commands be killed off or made square? They seem to eat up quite some screen space.

3. Are there commands for quickmirroring, like LWs plugs "Mirrortools". I depend on those quite heavily :)

4. Can the command buttons be 100% text only, without any icons?

5. Is there a command to aliign points in a line?

6. Is snapping any good? Thatīs something i have wished to have in LW for ages and curiously seems to be quite a challenge in most apps that have it.

7. Are the booleans good?

8. Can windows be merged when configuring the layout?

9. Can Bevels and Multibevels be saved and re-used?

10. Command history, hmm, does that mean we can make any commandsequence into a button or shelved command? I guess that would answer point 9 :)

More questions to come, looking forward to the answers;)

Thx!

bradpeebler
09-22-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi. First of all, i come from LW and donīt have Modo...yet. Probably iīll wait for Nexus and decide then. Still, there are some questions i have, call it curiosity.

1. How customizable is the interface really? Is it possible to edit the commands in the pie menus and, say, make submenus (command groups)? In LW i have packed everyththing i need into one pulldown with submenus at the left bottom, which is a very tidy and accessible style to work for me.

2. Can the rounded boxes around the commands be killed off or made square? They seem to eat up quite some screen space.

3. Are there commands for quickmirroring, like LWs plugs "Mirrortools". I depend on those quite heavily :)

4. Can the command buttons be 100% text only, without any icons?

5. Is there a command to aliign points in a line?

6. Is snapping any good? Thatīs something i have wished to have in LW for ages and curiously seems to be quite a challenge in most apps that have it.

7. Are the booleans good?

8. Can windows be merged when configuring the layout?

10. Command history, hmm, does that mean we can make any commandsequence into a button or shelved command? I guess that would answer point 9 :)

More questions to come, looking forward to the answers;)

Thx!

That's a big quote!

1. Everything you ask about in your topic 1 is possible and so much more. You could have a pie menu that has an entry which spawns another pie menu if you like. Or a pie menu that spawns a popup with sub-popups. Its soooo good. I really need to do more videos soon.

2. The rounded box buttons are always rounded, but you can make the buttons smaller and without icons to save screen space. Also, the buttons only round off at the top and bottom of button groups, not each button. So if you have long lists of buttons you don't lose much at all. Small price to pay for elegance. ;)

3. I'm not familiar with Mirror Tools, but with the Macro recorder you can easily create a macro that selects the mirror tool and completes a mirror on a specific axis.

4. Yes. See item 1.

5. There is a command called vert.setValue that will set all selected verts to a specific value. You can also make a macro that activates the stretch tool in Selection Axis mode and compress a value to 0 to flatten to an averaged line.

6. Snapping is quite extensive in modo. You can snap to foreground or background geometry. You can snap to guides and you can snap to the grid. The main thing to remember with snapping is that you are snapping handles. For LW people this is a little disorienting at first. For Maya people it is natural. But if you want to snap a vertex to another you would use the move tool in Element Action Center and Element Falloff mode then just drag it over. You can set a snap threshold to determine how strong the snapping is. I know some modo users who crank this way up for their tastes.

7. I think booleans are quite good, although I personally don't use booleans often in my modeling tasks.

8. I'm not sure I understand your merging windows request. My knee jerk response is no. However, you can create a Viewport Group and then put as many single viewports into it as you like. Then the VP Group acts like a single Viewport but has several other contained therein. This is how the Quad 3D viewport works. It acts like a single viewport but contains 4 individual 3D views.

9. Not directly. See 10.

10. Yes and good point!

Hope this helps.

BP

CB_3D
09-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Lol, yes, quite a quote...and some very appealing answers!!As to point 8, well, what i meant was if we can pull a window into the left side of the screen after having made horizontal splits in the main window...and still fill the left side top to bottom with the new created element. Ahh forget, i am not even sure I know what i am talking about. I will have to play with it for more questions, i guess, So far this beast looks configurable enough for my taste:thumbsup:

Thx for taking the time, Brad.

jangell
09-22-2004, 08:55 AM

Sure; turn on Macro Recorder, execute some commands, turn off Macro Recorder, save/store the macro, and then put it into a form via Form Ed. This works for commands in general, and will let you save your bevel operations as a script, or you can just capture your tweaks to the tool's properties in a macro, put it in a form, and then click that button to activate the bevel tool and restore all your settings. I think tool presets might be able to do this in a slicker manner, too, but I'm not sure.

Alternatively, you can select the commands in the history/undo list, then create a new macro in the Script Editor tab, right click on the new macro and select Add Commands from Command History to Macro from the menu.

-- Joe

CB_3D
09-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Yikes, LScript Commander on steroids:)

annaleah
09-22-2004, 10:18 AM
I agree...very cool.

AmbiDextrose
09-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Does modo have a tool to add thickness to the geometry?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.