PDA

View Full Version : quick question for those who have Modo

mushroomgod
09-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Is it true that modo uses layers to control meshes. Ie, if you want to model a new object you have to first create a new layer?

If you had to model a car engine for example, would you have to create 250+ layers to hold the 250+ individual objects ?

Or, have a heard wrong and its like max/maya where any object can be grabed/moved independently withought the need to switch between layers?

Chaz
09-21-2004, 09:11 PM
It's just like Lightwave now (in fact Modo saves .lwo objects by default); you can use selction sets and parts to keep meshes separate within the same fole, as well as layers.

nuclearfessel
09-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Is it true that modo uses layers to control meshes. Ie, if you want to model a new object you have to first create a new layer?

If you had to model a car engine for example, would you have to create 250+ layers to hold the 250+ individual objects ?

Or, have a heard wrong and its like max/maya where any object can be grabed/moved independently withought the need to switch between layers?
they are more like LW's layers... you could just model everything in one layer :)

webshot
09-21-2004, 09:16 PM
granted I am not a pro, and just sat down in front of modo 5 minutes ago(my buddy has it). But I created 2 boxes on the same layer. Selected the move tool and they both moved together. I used the lasso tool to select on and then it mved independantly. In the name list the 2 boxes shared the same name. Granted this is a new guy perspective so there is probably a way to do what you said but I have yet to find it. Just thought I'd add something sorry I was not much help.

Just saw your location Nuclear, I am in Emeryville right now. Not many people say that tho. They usually just say Oakland just found it funny....

mushroomgod
09-21-2004, 09:17 PM
they are more like LW's layers... you could just model everything in one layer :)
I always thought (that with lw) that if you create an object (box or whatever) that it atomaticly becomes part of all the other objects in that layer, and the only way to move them around is to select the faces and move them like that.

but with max/maya you can simply grap any object you like and move it about....can you do this with modos layers.

(god i wish that there was a demo)

mushroomgod
09-21-2004, 09:18 PM
granted I am not a pro, and just sat down in front of modo 5 minutes ago(my buddy has it). But I created 2 boxes on the same layer. Selected the move tool and they both moved together. I used the lasso tool to select on and then it mved independantly. In the name list the 2 boxes shared the same name. Granted this is a new guy perspective so there is probably a way to do what you said but I have yet to find it. Just thought I'd add something sorry I was not much help.
thats what i mean, are those two boxes infact now the same object?

webshot
09-21-2004, 09:20 PM
yeah....looks that way. They share the same name in the layer list.

Dion Burgoyne
09-21-2004, 09:38 PM
With modo, if you double click on a polygon you'll select all of the contiguous poly's, so even if you have two different mesh's on the same layer you can select them independently, we also have selection sets and part sets so you can further refine the selections of your objects. Since you can drag the mesh list (layer list) around as well, you can see as many layer buttons as you have screen space for (my config has 99 layer buttons on it)

kuman
09-21-2004, 09:45 PM
another quick question
but i can't for the life of me find the connect tool?

i just wanna select verts and from that selection create an edge.

its a pretty simple tool in 3ds max and silo and i can't seem to find anything like that in modo?

its a pretty simple tool that lets you select a series of verts and creates an edge through them

or select a series of edges and cuts an edge through them.

seems like it would be like an obvious addition to any poly modeler as it allows you to create edges quickly.

-k

francescaluce
09-21-2004, 09:59 PM
With modo, if you double click on a polygon you'll select all of the contiguous poly's, so even if you have two different mesh's on the same layer you can select them independently.. ... revolutionary apz !! :)

ciao
francesca

tjnyc
09-21-2004, 10:11 PM
With modo, if you double click on a polygon you'll select all of the contiguous poly's, so even if you have two different mesh's on the same layer you can select them independently, we also have selection sets and part sets so you can further refine the selections of your objects. Since you can drag the mesh list (layer list) around as well, you can see as many layer buttons as you have screen space for (my config has 99 layer buttons on it)
Dion,

I am not sure I understand fully. Is it possible to have one WHOLE model but in separate layers or parts set? So lets say I have a character with a hi poly count, and I would like to have separate parts of its body into different sets, that way I can speed up my workflow and work on a certain set without having all the other sets visible.

Cheers,

SheepFactory
09-21-2004, 10:20 PM
Dion,

I am not sure I understand fully. Is it possible to have one WHOLE model but in separate layers or parts set? So lets say I have a character with a hi poly count, and I would like to have separate parts of its body into different sets, that way I can speed up my workflow and work on a certain set without having all the other sets visible.

Cheers,
You can create selection sets , like hand , arm , leg , chest , etc.

You can than quickly choose that areas from the selection set menu and hit ctrl - h (hide unselected) and voila you isolated that part quickly.

jangell
09-21-2004, 10:31 PM

I think I understand what you want.

Yes, you can model everything in different layers, and hide the layers that don't concern you. You can use as many or few layers as you like. Multiple layers can be in the foreground (editable) at the same time, and any number can be in the background (uneditable). The remaining layers are hidden from view. Note that the geometry in one layer is completely separate from the other layers -- two polygons that might share an edge when in one layer would each have their own set of vertices and edges when in different layers, for example.

This means that you can have all the parts of an engine in different layers if you want, keeping the various fuel system parts in the foreground layers while the engine block is in the background and everything else hidden.

Or you can put all of the fuel system parts in the same layer, and all the electrical system parts in another layer. You can then select the individual parts by Part Name (arbitrary names that you can assign to groups of polygons), Selection Sets (arbitrary names you assign to groups of vertices), or simply select contiguous geometry by double-clicking on its polygons. At that point the selection can be operated on like normal.

There is no concept of an object as it's own selectable entity in modo; it's just vertices, polygons and edges within layers. The layers are the closest thing to the individual objects you'll find in other packages. Groups of layers make up a single mesh, and multiple meshes can be opened at the same time.

Does that help?

-- Joe

seasterling
09-21-2004, 11:11 PM
you can also have sublayers which make objects on those layers children of the object on the parent layer. double clicking the parent layer will select all children as well.

tjnyc
09-21-2004, 11:25 PM
You can create selection sets , like hand , arm , leg , chest , etc.

You can than quickly choose that areas from the selection set menu and hit ctrl - h (hide unselected) and voila you isolated that part quickly.
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know.

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.